PDA

View Full Version : To spend or not to spend

EDCivic
14-01-2009, 09:07 AM
We have a 1991 ED Civic that we have owned for about 10 years and it has now done 285,000 k's and I don't know what to do with it. The body is in very good condition both paint and panel wise, but the sterring rack has now developed a slow leak (not dripping on floor as yet) and the auto has developed a shudder when it changes from 2nd to 3rd. The engine does not burn any oil and is fairly quiet when it runs (I change the oil and filter every 5,000 k's). We have had the rear and front seals replaced as well as the timing belt and water pump in recent years. So the question is do you spend approx $900 (p & l) for a 2nd hand auto from a wreck and $750 for a recon power steering rack and give the car to our daughter as her 1st car (still on L's) or just drive it until it stops :confused:

EK1.6LCIV
14-01-2009, 09:11 AM
sounds like a good car, may as well fix her up and keep her in the family :D

JasonGilholme
14-01-2009, 09:36 AM
If i had it my way i'd keep the ED and restore it to mint condition and keep it stored nicely.

I'd get the daughter a different car, something that i don't care about if she bangs it up. lol

Financially speaking, thats not a wise choice though, unless you really love that car. I'm sure your daughter would appreciate a good condition civic to get around in. :thumbsup:

mugeneration
14-01-2009, 02:16 PM
fix it and keep it in the family. itll turn out MUCH cheaper than getting a new car. plus you'll know what to expect from the car, less likelihood of it throwing surprises in the air.

trism
14-01-2009, 03:02 PM
definately keep it.

EDCivic
14-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I agree with all of you opinions :thumbsup:. As a second hand 4 cyl cars go especially of this age/era compared with cars even 10 years younger there's nothing out there that has the same build quality and reliability as these older Honda's. The only snag I can see is the auto as a rebuild is approx $2,000 (Adelaide based quote) so I guess it's better to risk $450 + instal for a box from a low K wreck (ha ha) than to rebuild it . The steering rack replacement is at least a recon and dollar wise on par with the rest of Oz (???). The CV's are hanging in there as I always have the boots replaced at the very 1st sign of a tear. Aside from this and fingers crossed there is hopefully not much left in relation to big repair $$$'s. Now how do I make the daughter look after it ?????????
FYI.....it looks like this .....
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a88/serneckr/Honda2.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a88/serneckr/honda3.jpg

Gio
15-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Wow looks very clean

JasonGilholme
15-01-2009, 06:57 AM
wow thats an awesome car!

Unfortunately theres not too much you can do to get her too look after it. She may just see it as a old beater, or (hopefully) she may see the amount of work that has gone into it to keep it in such good nick.

Just let her know that you love the car as its been apart of the family for so long. Also get her taught how to drive (not how to pass the test - common problem with driving instructors).

Getting her to do a few defensive driving courses, in the honda, would be a great idea so once she's on the road she'll understand where the cars limits are, as well as hers.

jdm_b16a
15-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Very nice!

I currently have two ED hatches undergoing rebuilds for my two younger sons to drive. One has his licence; the other is still learning. They are a great little car and good condition ones hold some extra value.

Just ask your daughter to be careful, be safe and look after it. Perhaps the first couple of times you give the car a wash do it together. Teach her to respect her car and it will look after her. :cool:

Peter

EDCivic
16-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I'll keep her and repair the rack and auto. The only annoying thing is that in Adelaide we are pretty limited to Honda parts from wrecks and the ones that do have spares know this and charge like wounded bulls ! It may be cheaper to source bits from the eastern states even when taking transportation costs into consideration.