PDA

View Full Version : Rumour

Twincam16
17-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Had a guy at work try to convince me that any 600cc bike could now be made legal with swap of ECU from some compliancing places around Syd. He was adament about getting an R6 and sticking in some magic ECU which he then gives back when he wants original back... yada yada...

Just need to confirm from someone its complete bullshit...

Type R Positive
17-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Do you mean learner legal?

Sounds like complete bullshit.

tiksie
17-01-2009, 03:37 AM
600cc learner legal ? LOL!

10KRPM
17-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Sounds like something someone made up to trick bike newbies.

Best bet is to contact the licence dept and see if it has been certified learner legal.

nvmee
17-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Sigh. Yes you can mate, If you can get a restricted ECu and get it engineered then you could ride a 600cc bike but only having 250cc of power. Ive said it on the other post

.::F[L]Y::.
17-01-2009, 02:27 PM
hmm sounds like a nice loop hole to exploit....

hisoka
17-01-2009, 03:12 PM
there was already a thread on this~or it had alot of info on this.

Zdster
18-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Like I also said in the other thread, there are issues involved with doing this.

trism
18-01-2009, 03:41 PM
ive heard this too, but not with by changing the ecu

im asuming youd be familiar with Hyosung bikes?

well they make a 250 and a 600cc that are learner legal. if you buy the 600 learner legal then there is a restrictor plate fitted that only allows it to make as much power as the 250, then when you get off your Ls you go get it removed for full power. and its approved by the government.

GreekWarrior
18-01-2009, 05:50 PM
just ride a 600cc and anyway

be a rebel

a rebel without a cause

S2kane
19-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Not a chance Guys.
The bike has to be a restricted model from the factory.
They take the information for L.A.M.S from the homologation documents.
If a homologation document says a CBR600 makes 130HP then its not L.A.M.S
Approved, Doesn't matter what you do to it afterward even if you restricted it down to 10HP its still considered a 130HP BIke.
Hyosung don't just modify the standard unit, Its an official model that meets ADR requirements.
The Bigger manufactures wouldn't dare sell sports bike as easy to de-restrict as Hyosung do.

Hope that explains it.

89_CBR
22-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Not a chance Guys.
The bike has to be a restricted model from the factory.
They take the information for L.A.M.S from the homologation documents.
If a homologation document says a CBR600 makes 130HP then its not L.A.M.S
Approved, Doesn't matter what you do to it afterward even if you restricted it down to 10HP its still considered a 130HP BIke.
Hyosung don't just modify the standard unit, Its an official model that meets ADR requirements.
The Bigger manufactures wouldn't dare sell sports bike as easy to de-restrict as Hyosung do.

Hope that explains it.

That isnt true, You can get a lams approved bigger bike and yes it is a switch of the ECU, Go to www.cbr250.com there is a fella in Sydney who has an LAMS approved GSXR600 because he had the ECU switched and then engineered.

Maybe you guys should do some more learning or come to a site that knows what they are talkin about to get your info.

S2kane
22-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah what would i know i just work at Honda Motorcycle's..
I've sat in many sales and engineering development meetings. and have seen many models delayed or rejected because of ADR and L.A.M.S issues.
But just wait until i let them know there is a guy on a CBR forum who knows how to override all these requirements!!
Also if manufactures don't sell these bikes, Then why aren't motorcycle dealers taking advantage of this loop hole and supplying their own kits?
A CBR1000RR or a CBR600RR L.A.M.S approved bike would sell pretty good i think..
I just happen to have asked this question to a RTA representative and also asked our senior technical adviser who is in charge of ADR, LAMS, Police bikes..ECT
And the explanation i got was the answer i gave above about the homoligation documents for the bikes.
Maybe you should call your local transport authority before you come back with a response.
Or i guess when your riding around on you're CBR600 or R6 and a cop pulls you over you could just say "its ok the ECU is re engineered".. He'll believe you.

89_CBR
22-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah what would i know i just work at Honda Motorcycle's..
I've sat in many sales and engineering development meetings. and have seen many models delayed or rejected because of ADR and L.A.M.S issues.
But just wait until i let them know there is a guy on a CBR forum who knows how to override all these requirements!!
Also if manufactures don't sell these bikes, Then why aren't motorcycle dealers taking advantage of this loop hole and supplying their own kits?
A CBR1000RR or a CBR600RR L.A.M.S approved bike would sell pretty good i think..
I just happen to have asked this question to a RTA representative and also asked our senior technical adviser who is in charge of ADR, LAMS, Police bikes..ECT
And the explanation i got was the answer i gave above about the homoligation documents for the bikes.
Maybe you should call your local transport authority before you come back with a response.
Or i guess when your riding around on you're CBR600 or R6 and a cop pulls you over you could just say "its ok the ECU is re engineered".. He'll believe you.

Well why don't you just take it as hey this guy ACTUALLY has one with LAM on his GSXR600 REGO LABEL.

Stop bein a dick coz you have been proven wrong you stooge.
oh no is this a picture proving that you can get a learner legal GSXR600 oh i think it is damn you must feel silly.
And yes it does say lam on his rego sticker so the cops cant do shit.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/goldenivy/gsxr600.jpg

S2kane
22-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Who put this Rego label on his bike? Can you please supply some credible information instead of saying some dude on a forum claims to have one.
After he swapped the ECU. i want to know where he went after that to get it registered as a LAM Approved bike. At this point i would say its bullshit.

89_CBR
22-01-2009, 11:13 AM
**** me am i your assistant all of a sudden do some searching yoursel idiot, IF you had a gsxr600 on your l's and it wasn't approved why would you show the l plate.

There is a shop in sydney who does the ECU swaps if you want one ring around if you don't don't ring around.

And your in a different state why the **** would this even interest you we have different rules so shut the **** up dick face.

nvmee
22-01-2009, 01:05 PM
bIKE BIZ

89_CBR
22-01-2009, 01:09 PM
bIKE BIZ

Bike biz is the one, Thanks NVMEE could not remember.

Dunno if they do it to hondas and yammys though.

S2kane
22-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey kid,
I have my full license already, I'm interested for other reasons.

All i know is the actual manufactures aren't aware and wonder if any legal issue
will come about.

I found a place called RR motorcycles who claim to have the only license to do this.
And they are planning to go nation wide with it.

They cant do new bikes though.. only second hand units.
Honestly i think there will be issue's in the future but if you can get away with .. why not.

89_CBR
22-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Im not a kid, But fair enough.

Legal issues would be only regarding the warranty surely, There should not be any other legal reasons once you buy it its your to modify how you want really, I would be like saying you cant install a power commander.

Twincam16
25-01-2009, 05:25 PM
I found a place called RR motorcycles who claim to have the only license to do this.
And they are planning to go nation wide with it.

They cant do new bikes though.. only second hand units.
Honestly i think there will be issue's in the future but if you can get away with .. why not.

Yep thats them, called them up on Friday and they told me they have put a stop to it. There could be legal complications if this goes ahead.

marabaan
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/goldenivy/gsxr600.jpg
"Not ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity exceeding 660ml and a power-to-weight ratio greater than 150kw/tonne."

i wonder if they including the rider for the power-to-weight ratio.

S2kane
12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
HA HA, I think that dude would be safe if they did... :p

Twincam16
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Okay, I just went past today...They had an 07' GSXR-600 with Lams approval for $13 grand.

The upsides...

Firstly - The rumour isnt a rumour. The <660cc bikes are restricted & engineered to around 20kw, which puts it well under the 150kw/tonne mark, and has a security tamper proof tag placed on the motor which breaks if engine components are touched (ie unrestricted), if this is done, the bike is no longer learner legal, and insurance will NOT cover you and you will get booked if the legality issue is accepted by RTA.

Secondly - This is currently being put forward to RTA to legalise any bikes UNDER 660cc ONLY. Not sure what the case in in other states.

Thirdly - Will allow you to ride a bike that is probably SAFER (in its restricted form), and you will get used to the handling of the bike.

"LAM" is printed on the bike's rego. So it is officially recognised as a LAMS approved vehicle.

BUT, there are downsides... which are...

1 - Its gonna cost you $1500 to have this process done to a bike
2 - Its gonna cost you $500 to have this reversed
3 - By the time you get off your L's which is only 18 months, the bike's value has dropped a grand or two, and you could save $2000 on the above process
4 - Chances are you will drop it... probably not the best idea to ride a bike so expensive around when the insurance will cost a heap
5 - You may get over the bike while on your L's or P's...

You decide... im just gonna go for a cheapo and then get the big power in a few years

Mr_will
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
600cc learner legal ? LOL!

erm, there are 600cc bikes that are learner legal, even 650's, plenty of trail bikes that size are legal

mojo the flashy monkey
04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
gsx600r is lams legal at request new from factory

Twincam16
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
gsx600r is lams legal at request new from factory

You serious? can you back this up?

Twincam16
19-03-2009, 02:24 PM
RTA just released a bulletin to all approved engineers informing them that any bikes that are found to be originally from factory greater than 150kw/tonne and have been restricted and re-engineered to pass the <150kw/tonne approval, will be de-registered.

They have also asked them to not restrict and re-engineer any further bikes.

Feel sorry for anyone riding a LAMS approved R6 or Cibby 600 at the moment...

S2kane
19-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I thought that was going to happen sooner or later.