PDA

View Full Version : Rack and pinion....

Phantasm
18-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I was told by pedders after having a 20? point suspension test that my rack and pinion was worn and would need replacing soon. My car is a 96 vtir with 90k so i thought it seemed a bit odd to have to get it replaced already.
Also how would a worn rack & pin affect steering and handling of the car, as this is my first Fwd i am unfamiliar with all there traits.
When slowing and approaching an intersection which has an uneven surface, the steering tends to pull in turn following the road.
Also i am hearing what sounds like a worn wheel bearing coming from the fornt, could this be attributed to the rack and pinion?
But there doesnt seem to be any vibration thru the wheel.
Does anyone know if this is servicable or just has to be replaced, and what costs could be involved.

Civic Type R
18-10-2004, 04:02 PM
check ur CV boots.

ECU-MAN
18-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I recon their pulling there own rack to hard, iv never ever seen any rack fail under 100000kms, is it leaking, was the car ever in an acident ? if your rack was rooted, it would leak from the boots and the staering would shudder. take it to a dealer, imsure they would inspect it for free while you wait. The rack can be repaired and doesnt need to be replaced but it will cost $$$.

wynode
18-10-2004, 09:59 PM
As above........i'd get a second opinion.

crxzzR
19-10-2004, 12:39 AM
i'd say check the cv boots..if u can get ur car up on a lift... try and see which wheels wobble.. if it's wobbling heaps..most likely wheel bearing... encountered that problem today.. i got it fixed and ended up gettin new inner boots for my cv and a new outer joint...