PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Driving (regular checks, this and that)

philip_pc
20-01-2009, 03:22 PM
might be doing some long distance driving a bit later on. just want to know if you guys can recommend any other checks and maintainence things that i should be aware of before/after the drive:

the ones i know of mostly are:
- check tyre pressures, make sure they are right to get optimal fuel economy
- throttle response, use cruise ctrl when possible
- letting off the gas pedal as opposed to braking when possible (brake when you need to though)

can you guys think of any other tips to give me? is there any engine things i should check after the trip and stuff, also would engine oil need to be changed AS OFTEN on freeway? cause people say usually 5000k change, freeway would you say 7000k? cause your burning less fuel most of the time so less crap builds up in your engine.

dsp26
20-01-2009, 03:31 PM
i always carry a full set of cheap spark plugs and a bottle of octane booster for emergency...

a long long time ago once upon a time it was very hot, and i filled up at a dodgy petrol station...cylinder 1 pinged (or cyl4 can't remember the order on this car) and blew a spark plug.

- carry one of those $40 battery starter things that jump starts your car (you could be taking a little nap and forget your parkers and radio are on etc...
- carry a small amount of oil to top up as well as coolant.... these things myteriously disappear on long hot drives
- make sure your spare tyre is pumped up. most people will never check this until they get a blown tyre 3yrs+ later of owning the vehicle

Lukey
20-01-2009, 03:34 PM
check ur wheel nuts

outatime
20-01-2009, 03:44 PM
get fresh oil and put a car bra on

chilli
20-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Depending on the distance your traveling and the age (and km's) on your car.

If you have an older, i would carry some water and oil in the boot. And check your oil level and water level every few weeks.

I think its best to service every 5k. But for long distance driving every 7k with fully or semi synthetic would be fine (IMO).

Perhaps get a good wheel alignment if your driving long freeway driving. And check the pressure of your spare tyre incase you get a flat =p

dsp26
20-01-2009, 03:51 PM
^^matches are a good idea... lighters..not right now.... i've had 1 explode in my glove box and 1 explode in my face in my bosses mazda6 top compartment... he guttered his rims after that happened :p

peak summer here right now just in case you didn't know lol

EK1.6LCIV
20-01-2009, 04:20 PM
damn who sells EK4/preface lift car bras in OZ

good tips :D

I check the oil/coolant everytime I fill up at a service station

but on long trips, all of the lights, tyre presure, all fluid levels

beeza
20-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Road Trips ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trism
20-01-2009, 05:03 PM
before you go check all tyres for cracking/egging/damage and check pressures.

check coolant level and oil level make sure they are full

check spare tyre pressure.

then put a 1l botle of oil and a 2l bottle of water or coolant in the boot

during the trip as long as youve checked all that stuff you should be right

outatime
20-01-2009, 06:02 PM
damn who sells EK4/preface lift car bras in OZ

http://www.carbra.com.au/ - they do custom made though but still looks good.. saw a type-r at the carwash with a bra. dude told me that site..

Type R Positive
20-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Fcuking hell? Where do you guys go?

You have a new car mate, it's all good. Just check that the washer bottle is topped up.
Take some window cleaner and a towel. Bugs.....

p.s. I live in the country, my 'short' drive is 200kms, my 'normal' drive is 500kms.... ;)

mrwillz
20-01-2009, 06:39 PM
what psi should spare tyre be?

NSPYRE
20-01-2009, 06:42 PM
^^matches are a good idea... lighters..not right now.... i've had 1 explode in my glove box and 1 explode in my face in my bosses mazda6 top compartment... he guttered his rims after that happened :p

peak summer here right now just in case you didn't know lol

i dont see how this is feasible... butane auto-ignition point is 500 degrees celcius...

Type R Positive
20-01-2009, 06:44 PM
what psi should spare tyre be?
I keep mine about 5psi higher than the others.

FASN8U
20-01-2009, 06:48 PM
road trips rule , be sure to run a muck in every random small town u stop in or go through to ensure that "lulz" are brought to all

AE092
20-01-2009, 07:08 PM
road trips rule , be sure to run a muck in every random small town u stop in or go through to ensure that "lulz" are brought to all

And what's the purpose of that? Give them the impression that visitors are nothing but wankers?

OT: i recently did a road trip with my car. 1991 model and 270,000k's. Do what the others said to check and also sufficient oil. My car chewed up 2L's of oil, but then again i have leaking valve stem seals.

FASN8U
20-01-2009, 07:17 PM
do it for the lulz

philip_pc
20-01-2009, 07:21 PM
k so pretty much
- bottle of water
- bottle of oil
- check all tyre pressures are good
- check spare tyre pressures are good
- check coolant, oils before setting off

thanks so much guys....much appreciated.

Diz44zy
20-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Also don't forget ur tools either, simple little pissy things like a radiator hose clamp coming lose is a pain in the arse if u don't have the right tools. Lol or not being able to get ur wheel nuts off when u get a flat (this has happen to me and will never happen again). In saying that I'd also check all hoses for wear and tear and replace where necessary (would probably only cost $100 bucks to have them all replaced).

55EXX
20-01-2009, 07:46 PM
yeah little cheap tool kit and a ipod fully loaded with songs. radio is hard to keep going and you get sick of the same cds so load your ipod with everything you would remotely listen to. have breaks every few hours. get out have a stretch even a run.

i drive to and from the gold coast all the time. bloody girlfriend lives and works down there. put 50 000 ks on my car in a year! a good range of music and my dyns make the trip actually enjoyable.

trism
20-01-2009, 08:39 PM
i dont see how this is feasible... butane auto-ignition point is 500 degrees celcius...

dont even bother arguing

ive had this same argument with people on this forum and others and they just wont listen

Type R Positive
20-01-2009, 09:23 PM
k so pretty much
- bottle of water
- bottle of oil
- check all tyre pressures are good
- check spare tyre pressures are good
- check coolant, oils before setting off

thanks so much guys....much appreciated.
How long is your drive? :confused:
Your car is new.
check the oil, coolant, washer fluid, tyre pressures.
top up fuel
drive away.

philip_pc
20-01-2009, 09:29 PM
drive is about 160km one way
so return trip about 320 a day

might be doing this quiet frequently for the next 6 months or so (once or twice a week)
yeah

Type R Positive
20-01-2009, 10:28 PM

might be doing this quiet frequently for the next 6 months or so (once or twice a week)
yeah
Shit man, that's nothing. LOL.
I wouldn't bother doing anything at all...... seriously.
You are not even going to use 1/2 a tank of fuel per trip. ROFL.

You'll see how funny it is when you start doing it.
Quite regularly I have to go to Albany or Esperance for food shopping. That's 600km or 400km round trip...
Did over 40k kms in my Corolla last year in 6 months.

beeza
20-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Damn! That's a long way to drive for food,you must be in da sticks?

Are U on the coast,do U surf the Magic waves down there?

Diz44zy
21-01-2009, 12:25 AM

yeah

hummm yea all this is probably not that necessary. I thought u were packing ur bags and doing a round trip of Aus or something. Its still good to do all of that stuff anyway whether ur driving long distances or not.

Type R Positive
21-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Damn! That's a long way to drive for food,you must be in da sticks?

Are U on the coast,do U surf the Magic waves down there?
Yeah, but will be moving real soon. The mine just closed down today. :(

beeza
21-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Ah,your out in the mines.My mate is doing that here in Outback QLD.He makes good money,so he should for the work he does and the lifestyle sacrifices.

No Surf? :)

Crapdaz
21-01-2009, 12:38 PM
yeh good money and all, if i werent attached i wouldnt mind the mines....

Type R Positive
21-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Ah,your out in the mines.My mate is doing that here in Outback QLD.He makes good money,so he should for the work he does and the lifestyle sacrifices.

No Surf? :)
No surf. too fcuking cold down here. Anyway, tough times ahead. I got to look for another job now. :(

beeza
21-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Good luck with that mate.PMA - Positive Mental Attitude :)

philip_pc
06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
hey guys just thought id post an update here on the newcastle trips ive been doing.
cars just got over 2000km on it now.
my last drive up to and back from newcastle acheived an AMAZING 5.5L/100km
i was like woohooooooooo (trip 320km - used 17.8L)
i wonder if there is a different if you break you car in on the freeway as opposed to on normal road.
got my 1 month check done today, cars in perfect condition the guy said, however no oil was changed, i asked him and he said not until 10,000km
did some searching on this forum and saw that some people say its only the euros and s2000 that have their oil changed on the first service and some other people say yes to other cars and some people say not till 10,000km..............its a bit ambiguous, everyones saying different things. i remember when i first got the car the oil dipstick was very much clear, the oil must still have been very fresh but i checked it today and it seems to be getting darker now.