PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bonnet wont close properly?

vanderbi|t
21-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Sorry if this is a little bit noob :o

Details, 04 Jazz - about 55000kms, small dent on the bonnet

Basically my bonnet wont close properly, when i push down, the latch catches, but theres still a gap of at least 10-15mm thats quite obvious between the bonnet and headlights, and the bonnet and front bar.

When i push down there seems to be some 'play' of about 10mms or so, ie i push down 10mms, the bonnet will push back up when i let go.

Ive never noticed before, but im quite sure every other time i closed the bonnet there was no 'play' once closed.

Ive checked the rubber stops, turned them all the way in, same thing. I looked for any obvious things on the edges that could keep it up, ie tools, debris etc, nothing. I also tried dropping the bonnet from 15-30 cm instead of pushing with the same result.

I took the latch off iin the engine bay, and everything looks ok, although i dont have anything to compare it with.

Just before this happened, i was just changing oil and rotating my tires, i used the jack mount at the front of the Jazz as per the workshop manual, saftey stands on the areas under the front doors as per manual, but i dont think that wouldve affected anything?

It's drriving me nuts! any ideas guys? :confused:

I'll take pics later tonight.

cheers jase.

M@lew
21-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Have you tried dropping the bonnet down so the force will close it? (Not from a great height of course, but high enough that it'll close)

tedh1951
21-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Sorry if this is a little bit noob :o

Details, 04 Jazz - about 55000kms, small dent on the bonnet

Basically my bonnet wont close properly, when i push down, the latch catches, but theres still a gap of at least 10-15mm thats quite obvious between the bonnet and headlights, and the bonnet and front bar.

When i push down there seems to be some 'play' of about 10mms or so, ie i push down 10mms, the bonnet will push back up when i let go.

Ive never noticed before, but im quite sure every other time i closed the bonnet there was no 'play' once closed.

Ive checked the rubber stops, turned them all the way in, same thing. I looked for any obvious things on the edges that could keep it up, ie tools, debris etc, nothing. I also tried dropping the bonnet from 15-30 cm instead of pushing with the same result.

I took the latch off iin the engine bay, and everything looks ok, although i dont have anything to compare it with.

Just before this happened, i was just changing oil and rotating my tires, i used the jack mount at the front of the Jazz as per the workshop manual, saftey stands on the areas under the front doors as per manual, but i dont think that wouldve affected anything?

It's drriving me nuts! any ideas guys? :confused:

I'll take pics later tonight.

cheers jase.

Have you looked at other Jazzs - mine sits a bit high too - GD3 2005 model - but is level with the guards and apart from the gap seeming too large everything else is OK.

vanderbi|t
21-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Have you tried dropping the bonnet down so the force will close it? (Not from a great height of course, but high enough that it'll close)

Yep, same thing

Have you looked at other Jazzs - mine sits a bit high too - GD3 2005 model - but is level with the guards and apart from the gap seeming too large everything else is OK.

Yeh, i had a look again, took apart the latch again, springs, cleaned it all up to make sure no debris, same thing. I noticed the 'play' will happen regardless, so i moved the latch down a bit and the gap is better, im thinking i was just being a little parranoid :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, thanks fellas