PDA

View Full Version : Shaving fenders

burma
23-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi guys

As many of you guys with lowered/slammed cars know, rolling fenders is necessary. Now i was wondering if there are people that have shaved the inner fender lining off rather than just rolling it?

'Shaving'- using a belt sander to slowly 'eat' away at the fender.

Reason is that for my car, i can get away with a roll in the front but at the rear fender, its a double layer of sheet metal which makes it very hard to roll. Alot of the guys in America shave it off and its actually the best way but i heard there are legal issues with doing that in Australia? Can any one confirm this thanks.

Limbo
23-01-2009, 09:37 AM
i did on my old car, but i was hardcore i used an angle grinder, then i paint the inside black so you couldn't see what i did and so it wouldn't rust.

Just need to be carful you don't hurt yourself

dunno about any legal issues, and i got defected for that car(other issues) but they never asked about the cut lip on back. i don't think they even noticed

MR-VTEC
23-01-2009, 03:59 PM
If ever in doubt about legal issues it's best to talk to an automotive engineer or your local transport department rather than consult automotive forums that are hit and miss and full of myths about what can and can't be legally done ;)

EK1.6LCIV
23-01-2009, 04:25 PM
cutting the fenders does sound like ur playing with the standard of saftey the fenders are meant to offer in the event of a crash

be a bit hard for police/transport officers to notice imo if u did a good job shaving and painting

JasonGilholme
23-01-2009, 04:30 PM
try and source some from america. they don't need to have the side repeaters so it will be a perfect finish. IMO

chargeR
23-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Just use an angle grinder if you must do this. Are you sure you wont be able to roll them the traditional way? Most cars have a double thickness of steel spot welded together in this area.

try and source some from america. they don't need to have the side repeaters so it will be a perfect finish. IMO

You didn't read the thread did you? :p

JasonGilholme
23-01-2009, 05:12 PM
You didn't read the thread did you? :p

me = fail. lol

I read the thread ages ago and realised bu then forgot and just posted random crap.

lol *sigh* haha

trism
24-01-2009, 05:49 PM
i was thinking about this, coz i cbf paying 50 bucks per corner for some dude to bolt something up to my hub and roll it bak and forth a few times

SHOGUNOVDDRK
24-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Baseball Bat
Drive @ 1kmp/h over it
?????
50 a corner.

trism
24-01-2009, 05:59 PM
you want me to go buy a baseball to do it?

ive already got a angle grinder lool

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-01-2009, 09:01 AM
NO i was advising you on how to make profit...

burma
25-01-2009, 02:01 PM
thanks for the replies guys.
Yea the guys in america have tried to roll the GS fenders and beacuse they are extra thick, it seems to crease up and ruin the finish. Many people have Shaved it rather than rolling it or Cutting it. When cutting fenders there is a chance that the double thick fender might seperate but when shaving it with a sand belt or angle grinder it seems to stay together. I guess that shaving isn't very good for the structural integrity of the fender but at the same time is very hard for the athuroties to spot/find that you've done it.

trism
25-01-2009, 02:26 PM
imo that little lip isnt there for integrity, its just the design of it