PDA

View Full Version : p1 or p2

kiwi135
23-01-2009, 08:17 PM
okay so i have just returned from NEW ZEALAND (with my restricted license, which is their version of australias ps) and i was able to get my Ps however the person at RTA told me that i was on P2, he also gave me green plates to put on ma car, i only just turned seventeen and people are telling me that i should be on p1, what i want 2 know is are there any differences between p1 & p2 licenses (like the coloured strip at the top of actual license, etc.)

ekvtec
23-01-2009, 08:27 PM
try the RTA website
You should be able to find the difference

kiwi135
23-01-2009, 09:02 PM
already have but they dont have any actual pictures of the actual license is the colour of the strip that runs the top of the license supposed 2 be red

magicmike
23-01-2009, 09:05 PM
The coloured strip at the top of the licences are both red. Difference between the two licences are the conditions of driving, eg. some p1 drivers are only allowed to drive auto vehicles, whilst on p2 you're allowed to drive both, etc. Like the guy above said, check the RTA website for the conditions.

uniorj
23-01-2009, 10:48 PM
The coloured strip at the top of the licences are both red. Difference between the two licences are the conditions of driving, eg. some p1 drivers are only allowed to drive auto vehicles, whilst on p2 you're allowed to drive both, etc. Like the guy above said, check the RTA website for the conditions.

Yes, both strip's are red.

If you get your license in a manual car you are able to drive both manual and auto. If you get your license in a auto car, you are not able to drive manual until you get your green P's (P2 license) or until you re sit the test in a manual.

Other differences are;
-Speed limits
-Passenger restrictions after certain hours

All I can think of at the moment.

Red P's / P1 license
-The maximum speed limit for this license class is 90KM/H(regardless if the road speed limit is higher)
- 4 points (not sure if this has changed or not)
- After 11pm you are only allowed to have 1 passenger unless over the age of 21 or 25. Can't remember.

The difference with green is your max speed limit is 100KM/H, you have 7 points and there are no passenger restrictions.

4age8u
24-01-2009, 05:34 PM
ME TO when i came from nz i had my restricted i went to land transport and they gave me old p rules...so turbo/supercharge etc..allgoods

kiwi135
24-01-2009, 11:43 PM
lucky bugger

4age8u
25-01-2009, 03:41 PM
i was driving around with my restricted for a year cops pulled me over driving my cousins wrx i gave em my liscene they were like wtf haha ..and let me go they dont have a mini bit of clue

kiwi135
25-01-2009, 03:53 PM
yeh i wasnt pulled over while i was drivin around on ma restricted here always wondered what would happen if i did, so the 5-0 let u go without a warning or anything?

aaronng
25-01-2009, 04:31 PM
They give it to you based on the number of years you have held your NZ restricted license. You might have held it for 1-2 years, which puts you at the equivalent of P2.

I held my overseas license for 3 years, so they gave me fulls straight away eventhough I had to do the theory and driving test all over again (back then, P was only 2 years)

4age8u
25-01-2009, 04:37 PM
yeh i wasnt pulled over while i was drivin around on ma restricted here always wondered what would happen if i did, so the 5-0 let u go without a warning or anything?

they cant do crap anyways..just say youve been in aus for 2months and they have to let you go..

Sherweeeny
26-01-2009, 01:07 AM
its the RTA's problem, not yours.

kiwi135
26-01-2009, 11:01 AM
They give it to you based on the number of years you have held your NZ restricted license. You might have held it for 1-2 years, which puts you at the equivalent of P2.

I held my overseas license for 3 years, so they gave me fulls straight away eventhough I had to do the theory and driving test all over again (back then, P was only 2 years)

they didnt make me do any kind of test to get ma green Ps they just gave it to me and they said that i wouldnt have to do any kind of test to get ma full license either i just have to go in and change my nz license over

4age8u
26-01-2009, 02:57 PM
yep they dont give you test etc...just straight swaps

aaronng
26-01-2009, 06:46 PM
they didnt make me do any kind of test to get ma green Ps they just gave it to me and they said that i wouldnt have to do any kind of test to get ma full license either i just have to go in and change my nz license over

Yup, if your license is from the countries in the RTA page below, then you are exempt from taking the tests. But I reckon that the fact that you got Green instead of Red was because you have held your restricted license long enough.

http://rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/recognisedcountries.html

kiwi135
26-01-2009, 07:03 PM
i only had ma restricted for a year and a half

kriZy
28-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Red P's have restrictions and green P's dont.

Red P's
- 3-4 points
- Can't drive more than 1 passenger after 11pm-5am (there are exceptions too like immediate family etc)
- Only can drive auto unless you pass your Ls on Manual
- if you make any offence and still have your licence, you will gain more restrictions (eg: only allowed to drive 1 passenger until you grade to p2)
- 80km limit?
- be on it for 1 yr to get greens

Green P's
- 7 Points
- allowed to drive any transmission
- higher speed limit 90km?
- can drive anyone any time.
- be on it for 2 years to get fulls

uniorj
28-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Red P's have restrictions and green P's dont.

Red P's
- 3-4 points
- Can't drive more than 1 passenger after 11pm-5am (there are exceptions too like immediate family etc)
- Only can drive auto unless you pass your Ls on Manual
- if you make any offence and still have your licence, you will gain more restrictions (eg: only allowed to drive 1 passenger until you grade to p2)
- 80km limit?
- be on it for 1 yr to get greens

Green P's
- 7 Points
- allowed to drive any transmission
- higher speed limit 90km?
- can drive anyone any time.
- be on it for 2 years to get fulls

-I think it is if you LOSE your licence for specific offences that you have passenger restrictions at all times.

-90km speed limit for red P's and 100km for green P's.

-If you past the test it's only one/two year/s.

kriZy
29-01-2009, 09:27 AM
oh yeah thats right 90km for p1
100km for p2. its clear on the plate but i dont look at it.

uniorj
29-01-2009, 05:04 PM
oh yeah thats right 90km for p1
100km for p2. its clear on the plate but i dont look at it.

haha yeah.

i dont agree with the speed restrictions for P plate drivers.

i think its more dangerous going 90km in a 110km zone.

kriZy
29-01-2009, 06:20 PM
haha yeah.

i dont agree with the speed restrictions for P plate drivers.

i think its more dangerous going 90km in a 110km zone.

agree.