PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Flywheel recommendations for a 96 Accord VTi?

onlinewarrior40
26-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good clutch/flywheel combo and an installer for my 96 Accord VTi? The clutch in the car at the moment is worn and slips ;-( I thought that while I'm replacing the clutch, I might as well replace the flywheel too.

Here's what I'm after: I would like something with more bite than OEM and can withstand the extra power (?!) provided by bolt-ons to the humble F22B1. It hopefully shouldn't cause my left leg to shatter under the pressure. I've driven a stock R33 a fair bit and that the clutch in that seems pretty nice. When I go back to my Accord I feel like I'm gonna force the clutch pedal through the floor!

I've [Search]ed - Lost of people are suggesting the Exedy Sports Organic Clutch [
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36222 ] with pretty good opinions. However, according to [ http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx?SpreadsheetRowId=36626 ], the Sports Organic is not available for the CD5 :( Other people are suggesting the Exedy HD which is available for the CD5 in a Clutch Kit (HCK-6521 HD). I've no idea what flywheel to get with this if I do get the Exedy HD Clutch Kit - suggestions?

Or... Xtreme Clutches. Reading through the forums suggests that the Xtreme HD Cluthes are pretty good. Xtreme's website shows that the "Heavy Duty Clutch Kit (KHN22009HD)" has a disc with "organic facings" - They also have kits which use ceramic instead of organic materials. As a daily driver, would the organic or ceramic clutch plate be better? For the clutch, there's the: "Ultra Lightweight Chrome-Moly Flywheel Weight approximately 4.4kg" (Part No. FHN004CL) available from Xtreme. What other flywheels would people recommend which aren't too expensive or too light for a daily driver with bolt-ons?

Finally, as I live in Adelaide, I will need recommendations as to where to get it installed. Someone suggested if getting a Xtreme clutch/flywheel then get Australian Clutch Services at Wingfield. Some other people have said that MOTOROSSI in Klemzig is the only place they'd take their car - So, ideas?

onlinewarrior40
28-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Bump!

I would like to get this done in a couple of weeks so a quick response now will mean that I have time to order parts and make bookings etc. :)

trethus
28-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Go with Exedy, quality and reliability.

if your looking for a little more bite and strength go for:

Heavy Duty Kit - HCK-6521 HD

Is all you need, unless you feel a full build and turbo is on the cards..

That should be more than enough for the f22b

i fitted a new OEM Exedy to my F22b1 and compared with the tired one it is excellent.

plenty of bite and modulation providing you don't get into the habit of riding it..

As for using an organic clutch, they provide great instant traction but if they get to hot and start to burn from stop start driving they wear quickly..

as for a fitter, im in Wagga NSW so can't help there..

Hope this helps..

mr_vti_s
03-05-2009, 12:09 AM
what about the Race Ceramic Kit? will that gave the car more power or doesn't make any difference? and stick to heavy duty clutch?(Heavy Duty Kit) whats the diffence withe the three heavy duty clutches? "Heavy Duty Kit, Heavy Duty button Kit, Heavy Duty cushion kit", cause now my clutch is playing up when its on neutral, when you step on it and release it u will hear some ticking noises (annoying:mad:) but it juts started today, help please.

onlinewarrior40
04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I ended up doing what trethus did - buy the Exedy OEM replacement. It was a good choice :)

mr_vti_s
04-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I ended up doing what trethus did - buy the Exedy OEM replacement. It was a good choice :)

so it went good yea? how much did u pay for the clutch? how bout for the installation?

onlinewarrior40
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
$270 from ABS Adelaide. Installation was D.I.Y. (Dad actually - I don't have the knowledge, experience or space!).

Regarding the "Heavy Duty Kit, Heavy Duty button Kit, Heavy Duty cushion kit" kits, I don't know much about them -

Changing to different clutch will not give you more power, but it will help with the transfer of the power from the engine to the wheels :)

The OEM replacement clutch is good for either stock or bolt ons (I've only got bolt ons), the clutch pressure is roughly as hard as the OEM clutch and it seems to grip well. I haven't given it much torture yet though - you should normally give new and new/machined flywheel some time to properly bed first :)

AFAIK the HD clutches will engage with more bite (HD is 35% extra clamping force ?) and the clutch pedal will feel a bit harder. You will need to get used to that though and shifts might be a little jerky...

Let me know what you end up doing -

mr_vti_s
04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
yea cause im thinking to get heavy duty clutch, but im still getting prives from different store, one gave a qoute he said around 375 for the clutch. sure thing ill let u know..'

zillacles
14-06-2010, 07:35 PM
So did you just machine the OEM flywheel or buy a lightened one?