PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc conversation

TypeG
19-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Anyone interested to get this for their car?

bennjamin
19-10-2004, 02:06 PM
im sure u mean "conversion"...I thought the jazz came with 4 wheel discs ??!?

Kit
19-10-2004, 02:13 PM
nah, jazz comes with rear drums.

petrovski
19-10-2004, 02:18 PM
ive heard of an A&Z rear disc conversion from www.jdmautoparts.com in indonesia and its $1250 possibly usd

Pete :)

spoon fit
19-10-2004, 02:29 PM
its cost SGD$850 in singapore and HK$8000 in hk

TypeG
19-10-2004, 03:00 PM
u ask in Hk b4 spoonfit?
coz i look for Wilwood front cliper but i want to add rear disc conversation first

spoon fit
19-10-2004, 04:51 PM
u ask in Hk b4 spoonfit?
coz i look for Wilwood front cliper but i want to add rear disc conversation first

i think get the wilwood is enough la..i read this month option fan, only hk$6500 its include 2 front wilwood 4 pot caplier, 2 EBC 280mm front disc, EBC V4 0-600 brake pads and goodridge brake hose.
also, it can fit 15" rims

petrovski
19-10-2004, 05:29 PM
where can i get this months option fan from?

spoon fit
19-10-2004, 05:43 PM
where can i get this months option fan from?

which state r u from?
chinese book shop

TypeG
19-10-2004, 05:48 PM
lol
i will jsut get the cliper since EBC stuff are no good
moreover, front disc is not enough
we need rear brake to balance the car
or if u get very good brake at the front, it will be more dangerous just like a bicycle with only good front brake

spoon fit
19-10-2004, 06:41 PM
lol
i will jsut get the cliper since EBC stuff are no good
moreover, front disc is not enough
we need rear brake to balance the car
or if u get very good brake at the front, it will be more dangerous just like a bicycle with only good front brake

juz caliper? 4 pot cost $3500 pair and 6 pot cost $7500 pair
yes, but our car not really very fast or big power

TypeG
19-10-2004, 07:25 PM
i know
so as my topic, anyone interested so I can try to get a discount if i get more than one

Jus-10
20-10-2004, 08:17 AM
If you ask me, the rear disc conversion is a waste of time unless you are going full-bore racing all the time.....even then, Spoon's original car relies on the drums with uprated shoes...

TypeG who actually makes the kit and how hard/easy is it to install?

TypeG
20-10-2004, 09:56 AM
lol
you cant reply on just thr front disc sometimes since i always feel like i want to crash all the time and all my things will fall if i give a bit more brake.
that's for yr safety somehow and comfortability since just install front disc and pad id not a good way to solve, that's y it got rear disc conversation and it is now being a so popular mod,
who? I think either off JDM Fit or ... i dunno
spoonfit do u know anything about it?
it is easy to install since it is just a swap over without damnaging the structure of the car

Jus-10
20-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Safety??? Where do you get your info from man...there are no saftey issues with regards to the rear drums. Although it concerns me when you say you always feel like you want to crash :p

At the end of the day, a mild upgrade to the front brakes (rotors, pads and braided lines) will provide much more of an improvement to the braking than by keeping the front stock and adding rear discs...

Think about it like this. You're driving along and you slam on your brakes. Where does all the weight transfer? Straight to the front of course! Whether you are going fast or slow, the weight transfer will always transfer to the front (as long as you are driving forwards of course). The front brakes would easily be doing 70% of the braking....

Drums aren't the prettiest of things to look at I guess, but they do the job and my money would be better spent on Mugen Rotors, Braided lines and Endless pads up front for around the $700 mark than $1200 odd on a rear disc conversion. Rear discs won't give you any real advantage except they take a bit longer to overheat than drums...

TypeG
20-10-2004, 12:34 PM
i dun agree at all
very as well
improvement on front brake will make the car feel even worse
even more dangerous in high speed
that's y there are rear kit out
what about a bicycle without rear brake
lol
u will in deep shit
for $700, i prefer get rear brake if i keep my car for long but i am not so i still considering
it is a good investment as i say, since i got a frd with a lancer fitted a rear disc, i can feel it even he did tell me what he changed

TypeG
20-10-2004, 12:44 PM
standard spring and shocks is too soft and everytime u brake , it will lean forward the whole car. if u want less body moving then you have to improve your car body balance.For our jazz, it is not balance since brake BIOS is only set for front brake.
for spoon fit, they use upgrading shock with 20k at the front so they car never lean forward but that is not for street use right?

Tony
20-10-2004, 12:52 PM
I have to agree with Jus-10. I have upgraded my front brake to mugen rotors/braided lines, together with endless CC-X pads and endless brake fluid. I'm using a set of Yokohama A048 Slick tyres and I have no problems with braking at all. The only problem I have is when I race my car on the track, the rear drum gets overheated after around 7 laps (aronud 10 minutes) of racing. However that is only if u'r using stock shoes, once you have upgraded to some higher temperature drum shoes, u should have no problems at all. (we have tried it on a HR-V, running endless MA-22 pads at the front and endless racing shoes at the back. It ran over 20 laps on the track without any overheating problems.)

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to upgrade to rear discs, it's just too expensive and you could have spent the money on some racing shoes to get just the same result.

Jus-10
20-10-2004, 02:20 PM
That's what I'm saying too...it's not a bad idea to do it, but I would be focusing on the fronts first.

With regards to the springs/suspension TypeG, no matter how hard/firm your springs are, you are still going to be creating massive amounts of forward inertia. The only thing the springs will do is reduce the amount of dive, but all the weight will still be transferred to the front.

That said, rear discs would look mad, and you can't run rear drums with a nice big Willwood 4pot setup up front now can you?!

TypeG
20-10-2004, 02:20 PM
you spend $ on mugen rotors/braided lines, together with endless CC-X pads and endless brake fluid and rear brake kit is expensive?
for the money u waste on yr front brake like rotor, get rear brake man.
if u in track, and if u have the rear brake, u will find it is way more better.
lol

i for sure can use rear drum with wilwood cilper with like mugen rotor and pads etc... or just DBA but is it a good idea to do that b4 getting rear disc first

TypeG
20-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Drums get over heated anyway as you guys all agree and disc has and will always be more superior hence why they think all expensive sports have 4 wheel disc brakes. you may not feel that much on a fit because of its size and weight but I think if really racing or want the best. Disc is the go.
can of coz will lead forward but with the help of rear disc, it will help to balance the car. this is just a simple concept man....... i feel annoy all my gf's doll fall all over everywhere while just a bit of small brake and that's the fact since i put the same amount of toys on my car and still nth happen untill they live on my jazz now
man dun want to argue as everytime i try to ask or organising something, ppl will come up and said it is not worth but a good idea....
ppl got the same problem as me just PM me for an exact pirce then

civiceg9
20-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I think if it won't for the $$$ that everyone is thinking about. Then I guess everyone here would get the disc option. Disc still offers more superior performance over drums hence why all sports or race car have 4 wheel disc. Since you want go fast, you would also want to stop just as good or better and I think disc brakes who probably help you brake just that bit better in distance and time. I think is a reason for xtreme ppl to upgrade the rear disc option not that it worries me so much as I hardly race my car.

TypeG
20-10-2004, 02:41 PM
don't want to make a commotion here but just want to know if there are ppl who wants the best for there cars. if money is not the problem hint mugen rotors and varis cf bonnet show $ is not a problem so far and maybe load of sound system at the back helps something

Jus-10
20-10-2004, 02:48 PM
All we are saying is that if you are looking for improved braking and bang for your buck, upgrading the fronts will give you better results at about 3/4 the price of the rear disc upgrade. Look at the majority of cars and compare the size of the front brake to the rear brake...fronts will almost always be bigger, and often by a considerable amount. Look at a motorbike. They can have huge twin discs up front and then a single saucer sized rotor up back. It is all based on the principle of inertia. You brake, and the weight moves from the back to the front, so you need larger and better performing brakes up front.

There is nothing wrong with informing people of their options, I just like people to be well informed when making their decisions that's all. I just don't want people to think that fitting rear discs is the answer to improving the braking....and I don't want you thinking that rear discs will change anything from a braking perspective in your day-to-day driving, because the simple answer is, they won't.

We are also fortunate enough to have someone like Tony with some hands on experience that can comment first hand

Jus-10
20-10-2004, 02:56 PM
P.S. Mugen rotors and braided lines are not that expensive. Check out the prices from Tanghy. You might be pleasantly surprised (they are next on my mods list)

I'm still keen to see some more details on this kit TypeG

TypeG
20-10-2004, 03:19 PM
lol
that's a joke
Tony's one is an idea but not enough from say he got nothing wrong with only front brake. Front is always bigger of coz but does that mean we can igorne rear brake?
drums are just for a company to save their cost like Aus Honda which is safe enough for passing their standard. 3/4 of the price, then i can swear i will get rear disc that getting those mugen stuff especially the rotor for that price. I am a brand ppl which always want mugen and spoon stuff but i will do a research b4 i get or see any other possible option for me. Do a research on rear kit first b4 you said that rear discs will change anything.
"...and I don't want you thinking that rear discs will change anything from a braking perspective in your day-to-day driving, because the simple answer is, they won't."
that is a big LOL for you since did you see any race car with rear drums?

TypeG
20-10-2004, 03:24 PM
i got the price for mostly everything from jdmyard
i am a regular customer with them 2 years ago already.
I am happy with the price they quote for what it is all the time
Listen rather than stick to yr point
here again, if u have 3/4 of the $, spend it on rear brake kit and a better brake pad like Tony's one or project Mu, you will solve the problem if car seriously leading forward like jazz which is gobally agree this is a big problem for non-JDM jazz or jazz without rear disc.

for the rear kit, it include every like disc, pad, cpiler, brake line but i try to get a price with no disc and pad as i prefer get get my own disc and pad

I will stop argue here now
ppl want to know more and price, PM me and i will tell u once i got reply from HK. Again, i am not earning anything but i want to get discount from mine one

Tony
20-10-2004, 03:57 PM
For a front engine front wheel drive car, you are really relying on the front brake all the time, the rear brake is only there to balance the car. If you'd like to improve on braking performance, upgrade to a larger front disc together with some racing pads is probably the best option. and I'm saying this from experience. I have driven and raced alot of front wheel drive cars on the street as well as on the track, and really, the only difference of having rear disc brake is to prevent overheat. and I'm only comparing stock brake pads with stock brake shoes here, once you have upgraded to some high temperature brake shoes, it is very hard to get your rear brakes to overheate since you aren't using the rear brakes as much as the front brakes anyway.

I'm not trying to argue that rear drum is better than rear disc, because it's not. Rear disc is always better than rear drum, but how many laps are u going to race to get the upgraded drum brake to fail? over 20 laps? for a average driver or a casual track racer, this is already good enough. Moreover, if you are racing continuosly for 20 laps, your engine oil and cooling system will probably fail quicker than your drum brakes.

and yes, I have invested alot of money on my car, but most of the money is well spent. and I hope everyone on this forum could get the best bang for their bucks as well.

TypeG
20-10-2004, 04:18 PM
i am talking with my experience too by owning 7 car with 6 FF cars. After i drive jazz, i feel i need to do something to improve and I am after street use which sometimes u may need immeidately braking or even try to avoid serious dangerous. if u add more brake on yr front without doing sth to yr rear will only make yr front more pressue.

while u brake, u use how much front and rear is according to how yr brake BIOS and a good setting will make the car balance better and brake with more confident.
spending $ on yr own car are always think is well spent but brand stuff are always blind ppl for some reason. I am one of them but I still consider after choice when modify. but Tony, your mod are yummy especially yr bonnet as i think it hard to sent it over from oversea although they cost $1k deliveried. any pic of your bonnet?

spoon fit
20-10-2004, 06:33 PM
TypeG..check this
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/4605/PICT576.jpg

TypeG
20-10-2004, 06:55 PM
that expain a bit what i trying to say.......

muli
21-10-2004, 03:48 PM
doesn't drum brakes have better stopping power than disc except they heat up quickly

Tony
21-10-2004, 05:07 PM
any pic of your bonnet?

I haven't really got any close up pics of the bonnet at the moment, I'll take some pics after I get my car cleaned this weekend. :)

TypeG
21-10-2004, 06:40 PM
doesn't drum brakes have better stopping power than disc except they heat up quickly

no.. helly no

okok, as well as some brake system pic pls as i love to see those sexy mugen brake...

tanghy
21-10-2004, 06:55 PM
gas, can u email me the pix of the article/advertisment of the rear brake conver?