PDA

View Full Version : EK1 Slow power windows

flipfire
27-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I am having issues with my passenger side window, it winds up really slow around mid-way. Sometimes it gets stuck.

The motor seems to be working fine but something seems to be binding it. Im guessing the seals might have dried up or something but whats weird is that it binds the most around mid-way.

Should i try silicone spray first? (are there any other home alternatives like WD40?)

TIA cheers.

Zdster
27-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Why dont you try searching first?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/u416047/search.gif

EK1.6LCIV
27-01-2009, 10:23 AM
it's a number of things

I'm guessing you have higher ks on your car?

it's the window regulator, you'll need a new assembly, new is over 400, so buy a 2nd hand one

wd40 wont do much at all, plus it's not good for ur rubbers, tried it all, lol

easiest way is to buy a new one before it stuffs up leaving you with the following:

1. a window that has fallen out of the runner
2. a dead motor that wont go up

just a bad design on Honda's part, should be around 130 up for a good 2nd hand one

gl with it, if you have removed the door inner panel before it's an easy job

flipfire
27-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the response.

Yes it has done 165,xxx. I will try the silicone spray first then before forking out the big $$. The driver side window works flawless.

Cheers, will let you know what happens.

EK1.6LCIV
27-01-2009, 11:05 AM
yea, it won't do much

it's the window motor and a combo of the seals

as the seals are worth a fortune new, I'd just buy a good 2nd hand window motor, it'll last you a good few yrs

Mugen Civic
27-01-2009, 11:28 AM
yea just try silicon spray first,
worked a treat for me on my EK1

flipfire
27-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Im hoping so too...

So i quickly grabbed a can on my lunch break.

Do i spray it on both inside and outside window?

EK1.6LCIV
27-01-2009, 11:46 AM
should do it in the runners near the mirror and edge of the opposite side

Mugen Civic
27-01-2009, 02:50 PM
basically, get the window all the way down, and were ever the glass slides up and down and the top just spray all up in there in one smooth sweep.

then run the window up and down a few times and it should run easier each time.

good luck

flipfire
27-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Ok just sprayed it all around and winded it up and down tons of times, it helped a little. I noticed it started to stutter instead of getting stuck.

Its still slow for my comfort. Im gonna remove the door panel this w/e and have an inside look to see if anything else needs lubricating.

Red_EG4
27-01-2009, 06:41 PM
When people replace the window regulator do they just silicone the plastic seal back on? or get replacements?

simonnowis
27-01-2009, 07:34 PM
what plastic seals?
the rubber channels are called bailey channels, I had the same issue. lubestick, silicone spray, graphite powder, all helped little but still ended up getting stuck. So I had to replace the bailey channels at honda costed $300ish, cant remember as its been awhile, might have the receipt sumwhere for accurate price, but around that price for driver and passenger window on my EK hatch.

EK1.6LCIV
27-01-2009, 07:49 PM
yea, bit of a bummer, the sun just deteriorates the standard runners

you'll need a new motor regardless by the sounds of the stuttering tho

if you havent had to replace a motor so far you've been doin well, they usually kick the bucket around your amount of ks

xolent
01-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the response.

Yes it has done 165,xxx. I will try the silicone spray first then before forking out the big $$. The driver side window works flawless.

Cheers, will let you know what happens.

What u can also use is the interior spray for your dash that work nicely too.