PDA

View Full Version : DC2 not starting - not ignition coil

tekung89
27-01-2009, 10:55 PM
went to pour petrol, turned off the car filled her up and tried to start her. it started for 2 seconds and died. kept cranking but no luck of starting again.

i've checked the ignition coil and its not that. the plugs are producing sparks.

does anyone know what may be a common problem? i have been told the main fuel relay could be the ****** or the fuel pump. after turning the key to the 2nd click where all the dash light turns on i wait a few seconds and theres a click. is that my relay or fuelpump making the noise?

if anyone knows where the main fuel relay is located on the dc2 please post up.

ECU-MAN
28-01-2009, 08:20 AM
could be the ICM, but then if it was there would be no spark.

can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition ?

tekung89
28-01-2009, 10:41 AM
after the 2nd click wen dash lights come on, i place my hand on the main relay and it clicks after 6seconds, but however i dont hear the fuel pump prime at all. its been raining heaps and the whether very humid, perhaps i might try ECU-MAN's diy main relay soldering

tekung89
28-01-2009, 11:23 AM
resoldered, pluged it and i still dont hear the fuel pump prime. the relay still clicks after 6 secs or so. i was told a faulty relay would not click so mine must be fine.

perhaps my fuel pump died ??

Paul1985
28-01-2009, 11:27 AM
resoldered, pluged it and i still dont hear the fuel pump prime. the relay still clicks after 6 secs or so. i was told a faulty relay would not click so mine must be fine.

perhaps my fuel pump died ??

I reckon you may be right. Check for voltage at your fuel pump plug.

Fuzz21
28-01-2009, 11:59 AM
happened to my brothers dc2. it was his fuel pump that shit its self. so id say check that 1st.

tekung89
28-01-2009, 01:23 PM
seems to be the fuel pump, we put direct 12v and negative to get it running from a car battery and it ddnt budge. gona replace it tomorrow

Paul1985
28-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I cant be sure without looking at my car, but i think you have the fuel sending unit plug there... sends the fuel level to your cluster.

I think the fuel pumps a 2-pin plug.

-Green wire with a yellow stripe
-Black

They are the 2 wire colours if i recall correctly.

Grn/Yel goes to pin 7 on your main relay (again, if i recall correctly)
The other to earth.

tekung89
28-01-2009, 09:08 PM
i'll check tomororw again. after unscrewing the 3 screw to remove the cap located above the fuel pump, this big brown plug appeared as seen in the picture. thought it woulda been it =T i'll jus take the fuelpump out and have a look and replace it with a new one

Paul1985
29-01-2009, 07:19 AM
I do have an EG and not a DC2, but im pretty sure they are similar/same.

tekung89
29-01-2009, 12:27 PM
thanks paul mate u've been a big help and u were right, i had the sensor plug not the fuel pump plug.

-anyways i went on to pluggin 12v directly into the fuel pump and she buzzed. so the pump is working.

-i went on to testing the voltage of the fuel pump plug. it read 12v but however using the 'light tester' to see if it actually had power, the 12v was drained down to 0.24 volts.

so todays mission is to get a known working relay and plug it in which i assume controls the voltages for the injectors, ecu and fuel pump

Paul1985
30-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Adding a known good relay is a good step to take before throwing money at it on parts.. Its quick and simple.

If your pumps fine when adding 12v to it then it makes sense for it to be a bad relay. Maybe it's beyond repairing by re-soldering.

tekung89
31-01-2009, 11:51 AM
update. replace relay with a new one, car starts.

wat to do with the old relay? i gave it one more shot before throwing it out. plugged it in and the car started fine. lol weird. so i decided to run on the old relay and see if whether heat causes it to fail and keeping the new one on standby

Paul1985
31-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Thats good news then. Cheaper than a fuel pump. Good to see you got it sorted before you went out and replaced the pump.