PDA

View Full Version : Built B16 turbo engine

Punisha00
28-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi im new to this, i have a fair idea wen it comes to engines and cars got a few questions for the guys that have done and used the parts that im abt to ask abt. I currently m in a project for my profect car that will contain a turbo b16 engine. first question does anyone have any advise on a cast iron manifold? any good or r they rubbish? second question block guard wtf is the deal i have heard bad and good things is it a case by case part or can someone shine so light on it? i have a list that i m goin to have done to the engine including large injectors and fuel rail, new plenum, large TB, low comp pistons, new con rods, new valve, springs, retainers, stage 2 turbo cam, E8haltech ecu, 3" down pipe into a 2.5" mendrel straight through, 2.5" intercooler piping, 25"x 12"x 3" FMIC. im sure i have forgotten something but u's get the point. my goal is 350whp (260wkw). final question is b16a or b16b taking in wat i said i was doin to the engine above? all help is welcome and thank you all.

mr_vtec
28-01-2009, 09:17 PM
ive got all u need for the project check the parts out in my for sale thread..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106254&page=1

sorry for the hijack but good luck with the build man..

JasonGilholme
28-01-2009, 09:22 PM
get a b16a and swap the cam. no point paying extra for the b16b when you're going to rip it apart anyway. could even just use a b18c engine of some sort. will cost similiar to the b16 but will give you the extra displacement.

if you're doing all that work then why run a restrictive cast manifold?

you should do more research. theres plenty of info out there already. doesn't take long to find it.

Limbo
28-01-2009, 11:21 PM
if your going to do it i'd start with a b18c2, larger displacement to start with.

If your gonna spend all that money on a build you might as well get a proper manifold made.

And i'd go 3" all the way, no use getting a 3" dump and then a 2.5" back.

Block guard, not really needed if you build and sleeve your engine properly

If you do all the above 260kw atw is easy.

I'd say start looking for a good turbo some GT3.....

OMG.JAI xD
29-01-2009, 08:22 AM
dont forget to get your cylinder head ported and polished.

add a headgasket to that list.
depending on the compression ratio you want to run, either go with one that is OEM size but handle all the extra heat and pressure or get a thicker size. though youre going low comp pistons, so there is not really a point of getting thicker gasket.

and while youre at it, get your crank balanced.
and also adjustable cam gears.

block guard is just a reinforcement accessory for the engine that helps the sleeves cope with stress. there isnt really any bad things that can happen if you put it on. the worst is that it doesnt even work. but it is a popular cheap add on. can do no harm :/

350whp ay.
looks like youre going to be running a pretty big turbo.
at least 15+psi.
start thinking of a/c delete or modification.
not saying you have to. nothing wrong with taking 2 steps ahead.

JasonGilholme
29-01-2009, 08:35 AM
don't go low compression either unless your just after a dyno pony.

If you want a good street driveable car stick with the stock compression. Even moreso if you go with a b16 instead of a b18 to start with.

Lack of torque from the 1600 engine + the lower compression will make the car suck to drive.

MR-VTEC
29-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Best advice i can give you is -

1. Do some more research.

2. Set a budget

3. Then combining what you have learnt and your budget, set a goal.

Once you have done these 3 things i doubt you will have had to ask your question in the first place. I'm not trying to be rude but ALOT of people say they 'wanna do this' and they 'wanna do that' but they havent really thought it through or researched enough. I say this because i too have done this and wish someone had given me a heads up about planning and budgeting.

It's all good to have a goal to get 350hp, but why? is it going to be a dyno comp car? a drag car? powerful street car?

budget is the biggest determinant as with a limitless budget you can pretty much do anything.

Anyway don't take my reply the wrong way as i'm only trying to help based on my past learning experiences ;)

JasonGilholme
29-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I have to agree with above. great post +REP

Research is key.

I had alot of plans for my car when i first got it and someone was kind enough to give some websites to read through and a good deal of information that they'd accumulated over the years. It was priceless.

It totally changed the direction of my car because my initial plans didn't suit with my budget.

Now i've gone down a path which has a much better chance of completion and has fulfilled goals that i've set (personal goals, financial goals - wasn't interested in a dyno pony so no power goals).

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. just take your time and do it right.

Punisha00
29-01-2009, 09:58 PM
thanks for all the help guys, in regards to the research most of the site r the places that sell the item and its so one sided and its the best thing since slice bread. thats one of the reasons i came on here to get an idea from ppl that have used the items. i have to run a b16 as the car it is running in cant have an engine bigger than a 1595cc engine. i wont be running a/c or power steering. the 350whp is it not much more as the drive line is made to support upto 400hp. i know its cheaper to start with a b16a coz of the work im doin to it but a b16b has an uprated oil pump and the head is already ported and polished and the block is the same as the b18c (which is suppose to be stronger) not the b16a block(site that states a taller block http://www.jdmb16a.com/b16b-engine.html and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine#B16B_.28Type_R.29 check the note, and in another b16 spec page states that all blocks r the same except for the usa b18c (site that states all b16 are the same height http://asian_e.tripod.com/Honda_Engine_Specs.htm ) can anyone confirm?? the car is will be a fast street car i will take it to the strip to see wat time i can get and dyno it to get my mods tuned and to make sure that i make 350whp. as for the budget i dont really have one as my budget is 350whp as the car is currently being rebuilt from the ground up so no great rush. are the cast manifolds really that bad i read that they r good coz they keep the heat close to the turbo and short runners to keep lag at a min. the turbo that i have been lookin at a turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid rated to 400hp. and as i said b4 i have no rome to play with so thats y the small cast manifold and the reason 3" down pipe as hot air takes more room into the 2.5" which i hope the air will cool enough (i no im blowin it out my ass). its the fact i just have no room. MR-VTEC thanks for the no bullshit anwser. love the pic i would love to run a monster turbo.

Benson
29-01-2009, 10:11 PM
run E85! be mods for turbo!

Punisha00
29-01-2009, 10:13 PM
as im leanin towards the b16b the comp will be running at 10.8:1 which would be to high to run the psi i need to reach 350whp??

Limbo
30-01-2009, 09:58 AM
since your rebuilding, it would be better to start with a b16a as when you strip the b16b down and rebuild you've stripped all the differences anyway.

Also the high comp is not gonna matter. To get it to run the power you want your gonna have to lower the comp alittle.

U know there is a built b16 for sale. CRxer has a 9s b16a he's selling on ebay now.
Will save you alot of trouble.

do a search b16 on ebay and you'll find it

Punisha00
31-01-2009, 09:07 AM
can anyone tell me wa psi i will be lookin at to get 350whp?

Limbo
31-01-2009, 02:10 PM
too many factors.
All depends on what turbo, what CC injectors, what work you've done to your engine.

MR-VTEC
31-01-2009, 05:09 PM
can anyone tell me wa psi i will be lookin at to get 350whp?

you obviously still need to do some more research ;)

Bludger
31-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi im new to this, i have a fair idea wen it comes to engines and cars got a few questions for the guys that have done and used the parts that im abt to ask abt. I currently m in a project for my profect car that will contain a turbo b16 engine. first question does anyone have any advise on a cast iron manifold? any good or r they rubbish? second question block guard wtf is the deal i have heard bad and good things is it a case by case part or can someone shine so light on it? i have a list that i m goin to have done to the engine including large injectors and fuel rail, new plenum, large TB, low comp pistons, new con rods, new valve, springs, retainers, stage 2 turbo cam, E8haltech ecu, 3" down pipe into a 2.5" mendrel straight through, 2.5" intercooler piping, 25"x 12"x 3" FMIC. im sure i have forgotten something but u's get the point. my goal is 350whp (260wkw). final question is b16a or b16b taking in wat i said i was doin to the engine above? all help is welcome and thank you all.

thanks for all the help guys, in regards to the research most of the site r the places that sell the item and its so one sided and its the best thing since slice bread. thats one of the reasons i came on here to get an idea from ppl that have used the items. i have to run a b16 as the car it is running in cant have an engine bigger than a 1595cc engine. i wont be running a/c or power steering. the 350whp is it not much more as the drive line is made to support upto 400hp. i know its cheaper to start with a b16a coz of the work im doin to it but a b16b has an uprated oil pump and the head is already ported and polished and the block is the same as the b18c (which is suppose to be stronger) not the b16a block(site that states a taller block http://www.jdmb16a.com/b16b-engine.html and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine#B16B_.28Type_R.29 check the note, and in another b16 spec page states that all blocks r the same except for the usa b18c (site that states all b16 are the same height http://asian_e.tripod.com/Honda_Engine_Specs.htm (http://asian_e.tripod.com/Honda_Engine_Specs.htm)) can anyone confirm?? the car is will be a fast street car i will take it to the strip to see wat time i can get and dyno it to get my mods tuned and to make sure that i make 350whp. as for the budget i dont really have one as my budget is 350whp as the car is currently being rebuilt from the ground up so no great rush. are the cast manifolds really that bad i read that they r good coz they keep the heat close to the turbo and short runners to keep lag at a min. the turbo that i have been lookin at a turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid rated to 400hp. and as i said b4 i have no rome to play with so thats y the small cast manifold and the reason 3" down pipe as hot air takes more room into the 2.5" which i hope the air will cool enough (i no im blowin it out my ass). its the fact i just have no room. MR-VTEC thanks for the no bullshit anwser. love the pic i would love to run a monster turbo.punisha aye???

well, you sure know how to punish peoples eyes.

please learn to use paragraphs.

kraiye
09-03-2009, 07:11 PM

IEVAQ8
09-03-2009, 07:40 PM
as a minimum iu sudjest u run a gt30 (500hp turbo) and look into pek boost, full race manifolds.................dont be fooled by short runners equals less lag.....its a combination of products that will help u along............i had a cast log manifold with t28 (400hp turbo) and was on boost at 4000rpm......with my full-race manifold (spageti style) and gt3037S (550hp turbo) im on full boost at around 4400rpm.....not much difference in response but a hell of a difference in power.......322hp at the hweels.........on 7.5psi and stock itr engine.............so if ur building ur b16 properly...............350whp is inevitable..............

good luck