PDA

View Full Version : Nulon engine oil flush

cVc_eK4
29-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Any one tried using the nulon engine oil flush? I have a Civic EK4 that I am tempted to use a flush before I change the oil. Is it safe or necessary? I purchased this car not that long ago and previous owner looked after it well. It has travelled 110,000 kms with full log book history. I am inteding to use the FEO oil on it.

night_wolf
29-01-2009, 04:21 AM
engine oil flush is simple and esy to use. i use it, used to use a different brand (dont remember name) but all it does is emulsify the oil and when you flush it out most of the oil stuck onto your internals come off as well. engine flush runs on the same theory as liquid soap. put on greasy stains and then scrub away with ease.

its a good product for a fussy owner and i am one of them. before flushing run the porduct in your car for a good 15 mins. i actually take the car for a run with the product in, to ensure it spreads around before a oil flush. make sure after flushing your oil use some fresh oil and flush it again i.e pour in the fresh oil and let drain out. 1/2 a liter is good for this task. this is just to cleanse your engine. but thats what i do not really nessary.

hope this helps

Joe kickarse
29-01-2009, 06:31 AM
I wouldn't flush it unless there was long intervals between oil changes previously. If the previous owner serviced his car religiously, then I don't see the need to flush it.

Zilli
29-01-2009, 07:03 AM
i see your point about taking it for a run, but i think the recommendation is to let it idle. The reason for this is that it breaks down the protective qualities of oil...

Idling for 15 minutes will get the flush everywhere you need it man.

JohnL
29-01-2009, 07:33 AM
And then if your engine is really filthy a strong detergent can move grunge from places where it's stable and benign to places where it isn't, i.e. liberated grunge can create a huge filth load in the oil that may be enough to clog the filter and then you can have very dirty oil being pumped unfiltered through the bearings etc. This is not a good thing even if for only a relatively short while.

A good e.g. is old air cooled VW engines that would / will grunge up big time if oil changes are not regular, so many neglected VW engines can carry a huge amount of gunk on internal surfaces. When the oil is finally changed, if the crankcase is flushed with a chemical cleaner or a high detergent oil is used (and most modern engine oils have a fairly strong detergent action) then it isn't uncommon for the engine to abruptly die because of the liberated debris in the oil.

Most crankcase engine muck adheres in places where it's not an issue because it isn't on a working surface and can safely be left there. The one place where it can be a real issue is when it builds up on piston rings and ring lands, which can cause ring sticking resulting in compression loss.

I wouldn't use any sort of engine flush if the engine already has any significant grunge build up (much safer sitting where it is), but if the engine is already fairly clean it's probably safe. Personally I use an oil with a very high detergent content which cleans the engine less aggressively than a proprietary chemical flush, but does so all the time and helps prevent build up in the first place. The oil I use is a quality diesel oil (which are very high detergent), and work very nicely in petrol engines.

Well looked after Honda engine tend to be quite clean (unlike some Toyota engines), but it really is important to change oil regularly to avoid sludge.

4age8u
29-01-2009, 09:30 AM
i read somewhere its a gimmik

panda[cRx]
29-01-2009, 10:13 AM
not really man. most people don't realise how much builds up in there

even on newer cars its a good preventative measure to take

EK1.6LCIV
29-01-2009, 10:21 AM
wouldnt bother, had many cars of relatives back in the US get some high miles since new, driving in the snow under harsh conditions, changing oil to the conditions and never have they bothered for a engine flush

just change the oil, your car is still like new, hell it's only on 110k, just buy the Honda oil and filter

cVc_eK4
29-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys! Ill get some Honda FEO oil and oem filter and chage it this afternoon. Ill see how it goes without flushing it with that Nulon oil flush.

panda[cRx]
29-01-2009, 11:26 AM
regular oil changes is the best thing you can do

but yeh if the engine is old or hasnt had the best service history it'd be a good idea

i've seen k24's and k20's sludged so bad at 40-50k their vtc actuators and timing chains were fudged (due to lack of servicing/oil changes)

EK1.6LCIV
29-01-2009, 11:28 AM
;2099538']regular oil changes is the best thing you can do

but yeh if the engine is old or hasnt had the best service history it'd be a good idea

i've seen k24's and k20's sludged so bad at 40-50k their vtc actuators and timing chains were fudged (due to lack of servicing/oil changes)

lol, dayummm

any pics? :D

I can't get over some ppl who dont get it done at least at bare minium of 10,oooks

myself personally I change the oil every 5,oooks as I can see this engine making 300,000+ based on what I saw when it was opened the other day, go oem Honda oil :D

cVc_eK4
29-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I also have an accord where i used a Nulon oil flush. But this was before i knew that there could be some build up and if this flush gets rid of them at once it could ultimately stuff the engine up.
Has anyone heard of a Flush additive stuffin up the engine?

Type R Positive
29-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I used to use oil flush on my old Mitsubishi Colt and N13 Pulsar for every change.
Man, tons of gunk always came out. Made the car run so much better after oil change.
I'm a fan of this stuff on older cars.

Type R Positive
29-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I also have an accord where i used a Nulon oil flush. But this was before i knew that there could be some build up and if this flush gets rid of them at once it could ultimately stuff the engine up.
Has anyone heard of a Flush additive stuffin up the engine?
I've heard of sludge stuffing up engines if not removed.
Happens all the time on diesels. Man, they sludge up BAD!

night_wolf
29-01-2009, 04:15 PM
ok yes the engine flush could damage the oil filter but u dont need to use it at every oil change. im fussy and change my oil every 5k religiously. only every 10k do i use engine flush to clense the engine.

but as most of you have stated this stuff really works and i would recommend it anyday.

cVc_eK4
29-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions! I managed to change the oil(FEO) n filter(OEM). I also used the Nulon oil flush, but only managed to use half of the bottle as it fell on the ground and went to waste. Anyhow, i tried a couple of laps with it and i noticed that the car runs smoother and more eager when revved between 4-6 rpm. Unlike before. My question now is the 10W/30 FEO engine oil too thin for my 96 EK4 with 110,000 kms on it? Should i be using a 10W/40 instead?

aaronng
30-01-2009, 12:43 AM
10w-30 FEO is fine for an EK4.