PDA

View Full Version : Cat options with BEE*R rev limiter

JMSBND
29-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey guys,

I have got a Bee*R rev limiter going on this weekend. It's the one that cuts spark and has the launch control option as well.

Anyway, I recently put a single exhast on with HKS headers, and left the stock cat in place. It looks good and flows well, but I don't want to fry it with unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust on the ocassion at track days etc when I hit the limiter. I have heard this can fry the cat? Anyway I have two options.

1# A Berk test pipe. Looks great, it's cheap but it doesn't look like a cat so the police may not like it.

2# Gut a factory cat.

My question is, with a gutted cat, does the car lose any power/throw any ECU codes?

I was going to go to the wreckers and grab a second cat to gut if it will work, if not then Berk test pipe it is!

I am not gutting it for sound, my exhaust sounds great already-I just don't want to fry my cat! And I hear the flames are pretty big without a Cat too...........:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks.

Zdster
29-01-2009, 10:05 AM
How about getting something that is legal and doesnt destroy the ozone layer!

JMSBND
29-01-2009, 10:27 AM
How about getting something that is legal and doesnt destroy the ozone layer!

My deodorant doesn't use CFC's..........it's roll on!

RandyRhydah
29-01-2009, 10:47 AM
gut the cat then get vids! haha how much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking

JMSBND
29-01-2009, 11:02 AM
They are about $450.00. Good for launch if you drag, but I want it for the track, the S2K revs so freely that when I am busy it's easy to headbutt the standard limiter.

Plus I love the foot long flames...........who doesn't!!!?????

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Lcjuvrv0c

STAiN MASTER
29-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I got a Hi-flow cat made up, cost me about $400, its very free flowing and doesn't have any fume smell, makes some neat popping sounds too :)

JMSBND
29-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I got a Hi-flow cat made up, cost me about $400, its very free flowing and doesn't have any fume smell, makes some neat popping sounds too :)

Hi flow as in gutted? My understanding is any cat can suffer with unburned fuel. I think the metal substrate breaks down?

My CRX ran a GM cat with a pipe run through it the same diameter as the CRX exhaust. Problem is that exhaust guy aint there anymore, retired at 72!

ludecrs
29-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I run an Invidia test pipe, however my recommendation would probably use an OEM cat (pick one up for about $200) and gut it.

JMSBND
29-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I run an Invidia test pipe, however my recommendation would probably use an OEM cat (pick one up for about $200) and gut it.

Would that throw a code or will it be ok?

ludecrs
29-01-2009, 11:37 AM
In theory, it should be ok. Few guys Stateside run the gutted OEM cat on track fine.

y0da
06-02-2009, 08:54 AM
In theory, it should be ok. Few guys Stateside run the gutted OEM cat on track fine.

In theory a gutted cat actually causes too much turbulence. All the gases accumulates in the middle of the cat and then it all rushes at the same time to escape through a smaller end. Its the same concepts as 10 clowns trying to run through a single doorway at the same time.

Your better off with a test pipe or your going to have to get some sort of sleeve made up for a gutted cat.

Riced_Civic
07-02-2009, 08:07 AM
y not flange the cat and test pipe and change when u go to the track and put the car back on for the streets so u dont get done by the popo

na
16-02-2009, 12:44 AM
if you run without cat, your ecu...MAY throw a code...

dont run gutted cat...get a proper test pipe...

may I know where you bought that Bee*R?

vyets
16-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Get a J's test pipe it comes with brackets so you can mount your cat cover over it :)

tuyen
16-02-2009, 09:48 AM
if the o2 sensor is located before the cat (instead on the B pipe) and the stock cat has no sensor bolted onto it (like my ek4 civic) then it shouldn't display any error codes.

J's test pipe with mounting bracket for cat cover sounds like best idea :)

I've had the bee*r rev limiter in a few of my cars in the past. Very fun. good luck and remember to post videos of it in action please!

na
17-02-2009, 07:29 PM
there are 2x o2 sensor...one on the header and one on the actual cat...

most likely it will throw a code...
but you can always fool that bloody thing...

CB7_OWNER
11-03-2010, 09:39 AM
there are 2x o2 sensor...one on the header and one on the actual cat...

most likely it will throw a code...
but you can always fool that bloody thing...

reviving a dead thread..

Would like to know when you replace a stock cat that has a o2 sensor on the cat already with a high flow cat.. how do you go about integrating the o2 sensor back into the exhaust system?? does the shop usually make a bung directly behind the cat and put the o2 sensor back in there?? or they some how insert it back into the high flow cat??

Thanks!

JAP-S2K
16-03-2010, 02:57 PM
That depends on whether you purchase a replacement cat for your particular car model or if you just buy a replacement cat and then get flanges welded on to it. If your car comes with the O2 sensor in the cat, then you need to get yourself an OEM replacement/performance cat. Generally punching out a factory cat will throw an error code on an S2K. Mine did, however others have claimed there's haven't. This is easily fixed through the use of a spacer placed between the O2 sensor and cat. As long the rear O2 sensor is reading less emmisions than the the front one, you should be right. But there's no massive gains to be had, so not worth running that sort of risk with today's police crack down's on modified cars.

lzybum
16-03-2010, 04:05 PM
arent the stock s2k cats high flow already?

*according to s2ki* lol

JAP-S2K
16-03-2010, 04:41 PM
yeah pretty much, if aftermarket headers and exhaust net little gains, a replacement cat will give you next to no increase. With no cat, i couldn't tell the difference. All for a possible 2hp increase in the top end..... simply isn't worth the risk of getting caught without a cat.

EvolElmo
16-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Plus, without a cat you get a dirty arse on your car.

*vomit*