PDA

View Full Version : Looking to paint

Helmet Head
29-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I am new to Sydney. I had a successful airbrush business in Canada, but there I specialized in ice hockey masks (not much of a market here in Sydney). I would like to paint someone's bike for only the cost of material. you pay for the paint...I paint it. I am only going to do this once, since I only need it to use on my website. I get a sweet looking paint job for my site, you get a new paint job for your bike...and it'll only be a fraction of what a custom paint job should cost. Go to www.helmetheaddesign.com to see some of what I can do.
I have put this message on other boards as well. Only the first one will be this cheap.

Thanks.

Bruce AKA Helmet Head.

Zilli
29-01-2009, 11:29 AM
ive just acquired a near new Honda VT750c2 in black... what kind of bike are you looking for?

Helmet Head
29-01-2009, 11:32 AM
ive just acquired a near new Honda VT750c2 in black... what kind of bike are you looking for?

Almost any bike will do. I just need to have before pictures, my design concepts, progress shots, and of course, the finished bike. I left my business in Canada with a line up of people looking to give me work, and now I am starting again from scratch.

Tu88y
29-01-2009, 01:33 PM
let me know when you start doing graphics on helmet I be keen

Helmet Head
29-01-2009, 01:42 PM
let me know when you start doing graphics on helmet I be keen

Heu Tubby...

First, let me start by saying that I am laughing at the 'wrong-ness' of your avatar. hilarious.

Helmets I am cool with. I have worked on a couple. Let me know when you're ready to get it done.

dogcrapau
30-01-2009, 01:14 AM
hey helmet head keen if you spray helmets id likea custom spray if u do!

an93l
30-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi Helmet Head I was wondering:

do we get to choose a design and you paint them?

how long does it take to finish the paintjob on the bike?

how many bikes are you planning to do?

Helmet Head
30-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi Helmet Head I was wondering:

do we get to choose a design and you paint them?

how long does it take to finish the paintjob on the bike?

how many bikes are you planning to do?

Hey AN931....

Sorry, I guess I should have specified.

The person who wants this done gets to choose the design, but I will want to have a bit of input. For instance, if someone is looking to go from a red bike to a yellow, that is not the job I am looking for for this paintjob. I want something a bit flashy...some graphics involved...something that shows-off what I am capable of more than simply a colour change if you catch my drift.

As for timelines...I have a full time job since moving here. I would be working mainly at night and weekends. Also, it mill make a difference if the design is incredibly intricate, and also if it is a cruiser over a 'crotch rocket' simply based on area. I would estimate it would be somewhere between three and five weeks to complete.

Last question: How many bikes am I planning to do? Hundreds...thousands even. But only one will get this price. I am looking to get started up from scratch again, and I have found that nothing creates buzz like a great paint job, and the word of mouth from the person who got said paint job for next to nothing.

Hope that clarifies.

Bruce. AKA Helmet Head:cool:

Helmet Head
30-01-2009, 08:17 AM
hey helmet head keen if you spray helmets id likea custom spray if u do!

I will be doing helmets soon. I will let you know in the next couple of weeks when I am ready to start taking them in, and we can go from there.

One question...it's not going to be themed on your screen name is it? I may have to buys some more deep brown paint int that case!! LOL

Zdster
30-01-2009, 08:57 AM
I will be doing helmets soon. I will let you know in the next couple of weeks when I am ready to start taking them in, and we can go from there.

One question...it's not going to be themed on your screen name is it? I may have to buys some more deep brown paint int that case!! LOL

It sounds like you have painted helmets before, but if you havent can I suggest you get in contact with the helmet manufacturers and make sure that you get lots of input from them. I have read online about how paint jobs to helmets can potentially change the integrity of a helmet.

Also be aware that here (unlike in the US) we have a manditory Standards sticker that much go on all Australian 'certified' helmets. I am not sure of the implications when painting a helmet, but I would imagine that the sticker would have to be in place even after a custom paint job.

P.S. your work looks great. Look forward to seeing the outcome of the custom work you do here.

Helmet Head
30-01-2009, 09:07 AM
It sounds like you have painted helmets before, but if you havent can I suggest you get in contact with the helmet manufacturers and make sure that you get lots of input from them. I have read online about how paint jobs to helmets can potentially change the integrity of a helmet.

Also be aware that here (unlike in the US) we have a manditory Standards sticker that much go on all Australian 'certified' helmets. I am not sure of the implications when painting a helmet, but I would imagine that the sticker would have to be in place even after a custom paint job.

P.S. your work looks great. Look forward to seeing the outcome of the custom work you do here.

I have done helmets, and am inthe process of looking up the certification standards here in Oz. I would not paint one without first making sure that my work is not going to kill anyone...it just makes good business sense...a dead customer is not a return customer:). That's why I am starting with the bike. When I am sure about the standards, then I will be able to start in on helmet customs.
I look forward to gettiing started so that I can post the work I am doing.

Thanks.

Bruce.:cool:

Zdster
30-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I have done helmets, and am inthe process of looking up the certification standards here in Oz. I would not paint one without first making sure that my work is not going to kill anyone...it just makes good business sense...a dead customer is not a return customer:). That's why I am starting with the bike. When I am sure about the standards, then I will be able to start in on helmet customs.
I look forward to gettiing started so that I can post the work I am doing.

Thanks.

Bruce.:cool:

No problems Bruce. The Australian Standards are quite strict when it comes to helmets (or so I have been told). Make sure you look up AS/NZS 1698 (amongst others) - as all Australian helmets must have a 1698 sticker on the back of them.

This link will give you a bit of a start:
http://www.standards.org.au/cat.asp?catid=65&contentid=93&News=1

I dont think a lot of people realise but painting a helmet (especially one that is required in a high speed impact) is not a simple process. For example when curing of the paint you dont want to overheat the helmet as it can warp/deform the foam on the inside (ie the bit that stops your head from cracking open in the case of an accident).

an93l
30-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks Helmet Head that was useful

friedrice
19-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd let you do whatever you want to paint on my bike (within reason!) but it's a bit of a shitbox - 1988 Kawasaki GPX250 :)

RoNi_SiZe
20-02-2009, 07:56 AM
U can paint my 08CBR600RR if the design is White, Red & Black!

& the designs aren't too insane. Sleek preferred. Lines not flames. etc.

Maybe though, no commitments. Gotta see your design 1st!

Helmet Head
20-02-2009, 08:06 AM
I already have a bike lined up for this offer. I will post some pics as I go along. Thanks for the interest. I will be painting bikes after this one, however, the 'paint for the cost of materials' offer was a one timer. Thanks!

HH:cool: