PDA

View Full Version : CRX del sol rear window exploding

92DELSOL
19-10-2004, 06:31 PM
umm has anyone else had their rear window suddenly explode, when it is down, while driving along?? :confused: this happened to me today - the noise scared the crap of me!! and at first i thought it was cos of my subs in the boot - but ive spoken to 4 people bout this and they say its VERY unlikely this would happen from the subs... anyone know y this would happen??

sesshoumaru
19-10-2004, 06:48 PM
it did WHAT/??

92DELSOL
19-10-2004, 06:50 PM
yes is SHATTERED!!

jackosimm
19-10-2004, 06:52 PM
id be puttin my money on the subs, mine to a good job of rattling anything in and on my car

toE
19-10-2004, 07:17 PM
there prolly was a hair line crack on the glass and the rattling from the sub/heat/bumps on tha road would/might have shattered the glass.

your sub would have to have pumped A LOT to have caused the glass to shatter unaided.

ECU-MAN
19-10-2004, 09:51 PM
yeah dude this was a common problem when the Targa CRX was introduced, only seems to be with 92-93 cars, there was a recall on this, there was a seal which trapped water on the rear window and caused water to sit there then the demister being used caused the glass to fatigue. then the rear glass would just shatter. this thread brings back memories :)

weezer
20-10-2004, 08:16 AM
It has happened to me. I was on the freeway at 5am then....... BANG :(

The window isnt cheap either :(

92DELSOL
20-10-2004, 10:12 AM
ahh...thanks ecu man. that would explain it cos i had the demister on the last last few days ive been driving it cos its been raining and real steamy. would i have to go to a Honda mechanic or something to get this problem fixed??
i know this isnt cheap!! a brand new one from honda is $687.20...but i got a good deal on one from Hondwrec in melbourne!!

FANATK
20-10-2004, 01:29 PM
had a del sol for 2 years with 2 12" in the boot, had no problems

sesshoumaru
20-10-2004, 04:38 PM
OMG no way... i hope this doesnt happen to me :(

z3lda
20-10-2004, 05:03 PM
the cars heavy, the rubber seals leak, squeakin like a mf everywhere u go, rear glass blowing up, what else is there to a del sol that i dont know of :(

PhatSol
20-10-2004, 05:31 PM
the cars heavy, the rubber seals leak, squeakin like a mf everywhere u go, rear glass blowing up, what else is there to a del sol that i dont know of :(

Yes indeed, my car is a bit smelly after all that rain :( The squeaking is fixable, just put the sillicone on the roof seals and install a rear strut brace, mine is much quieter after that. Ohh and make sure the last owner didn't loose half of the interior clips :p

MR-VTEC
20-10-2004, 07:59 PM
yeah and when the roofs off all the squekin disappears :p .

z3lda
20-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes indeed, my car is a bit smelly after all that rain :( The squeaking is fixable, just put the sillicone on the roof seals and install a rear strut brace, mine is much quieter after that. Ohh and make sure the last owner didn't loose half of the interior clips :p

the car was stock when i bought so no clips are mising. yea it smells bad after rain, i think its ffrom the boot cuz the oder is more strong in there. where did u get a strut bar for the rear? im in the market for one.

PhatSol
20-10-2004, 11:26 PM
the car was stock when i bought so no clips are mising. yea it smells bad after rain, i think its ffrom the boot cuz the oder is more strong in there. where did u get a strut bar for the rear? im in the market for one.

Yeah mine gets a bit damp in the boot too. It was stock when i got it (3 months ago), but it looks like a few clips and screws went missing when the origonal dealer had the OEM 6 stacker installed. Try the silicone grease first, it really makes the roof quieter. You can get it from honda (#08798-9013) but it's almost $50. I guess any silicone grease would be ok. The strut brace is a whiteline one. Comes with quick release cam bolts so you can pull it out to carry big stuff in the boot :)

bumography
21-10-2004, 12:54 AM
hi
i've had experience with exploding windows before..

here is a link to explain it, as i posted it in another forum..

http://pforums.company-hosting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67180590&highlight=window+explode

z3lda
21-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah mine gets a bit damp in the boot too. It was stock when i got it (3 months ago), but it looks like a few clips and screws went missing when the origonal dealer had the OEM 6 stacker installed. Try the silicone grease first, it really makes the roof quieter. You can get it from honda (#08798-9013) but it's almost $50. I guess any silicone grease would be ok. The strut brace is a whiteline one. Comes with quick release cam bolts so you can pull it out to carry big stuff in the boot :)

where was the oem 6 stack installed in your car? mine was in the compartment box behind the passenger seat.

92DELSOL
21-10-2004, 05:03 PM
hey i just got in touch with honda australia and they are checking for me if there was actually a recall on this problem. had to giv em my vin no. to make sure it hadnt been fixed before (which obviously it hadnt if it broke), if it all turns out good it wont cost me anything to fix!!

PhatSol
21-10-2004, 07:25 PM
where was the oem 6 stack installed in your car? mine was in the compartment box behind the passenger seat.

Yeah same.

ECU-MAN
21-10-2004, 07:25 PM
hey i just got in touch with honda australia and they are checking for me if there was actually a recall on this problem. had to giv em my vin no. to make sure it hadnt been fixed before (which obviously it hadnt if it broke), if it all turns out good it wont cost me anything to fix!!

yaeh Honda AU are really good with this sort of thing.
and Bumography your crx may be a different problem to this. some times when hatchebacks have been rear ended or have had some kind of hatch problems, they can pop out the rear glass.

civtec1
26-10-2004, 01:52 PM
no dont think so dude ive had to kicker comps 12" in the boot and never had a problem. its the seal dude i think they had a recall on the 92-93 models from memory