been happening for the past couple of days

sometimes it'll work..sometimes it won't

i have a feeling its the main relay....
i doubt its the starter motor..

anyother suggestions ?

ECU-MAN
30-01-2009, 08:03 AM
what happens when you turn the key.

do you hear a tick from the starter motor ?

does the engine crank and not fire ?

does the green key light on the dash flash ?

geo41e
30-01-2009, 11:56 AM
sorry for being so vague..

it ain't the immob.
doesn't crank..and when it does it stars perfectly..

when i turn the key:
ABS starts pumpin then stops (normal)
usualy lights on dash..nothing abnormal.
turn the key..i can hear it prime...but no crank hence why i rekon its the main relay...

when it does start...cranks fast and healthy (as in no sign of a weak battery)

checked battery terminals (thoought they were loose hence were not able to carry enuf current) battery is fine

when i do a battery test upopn start up, battery V doesn't drop at all...stays at around 12 - 13V

dwn_boi
30-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I say go get your hammer, put car in neutral, whack your starter motor the same time someone tries to turn the keys and hopefully that will start her up!!

used to happen EVERYTIME with my celica lol i jst carried a hammer in the side pocket

also if it only happens occasionally, I'd say 100% starter motor, oh they can be so tempremental!!

ECU-MAN
30-01-2009, 02:11 PM
turn the key..i can hear it prime...but no crank hence why i rekon its the main relay...

OK. since it does not crank then it is NOT the main relay, could be the Immo ( or aftermarket immo ) or the starter motor solenoid or brushes or even the ignition switch.

loose battery terminals can also cause this.

ECU-MAN
30-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I say go get your hammer, put car in neutral, whack your starter motor the same time someone tries to turn the keys and hopefully that will start her up!!

!!

this is a very bad thing to do to a Honda starter motor, Honda starter motors use permanant magnets in the starter motor and hitting the case with a hammer will break the magnets

FAT VTI
31-01-2009, 10:43 PM
it can be used as a temporary fix if your in a bad situation. I used a ratchet handle and hit it side on, not square on so ur hitting the entire casing, not just a hammers head on the casing.
It does work, it probably is bad for it but you'll want to change it anyway. Try not to put too many obvious dents in it or else u won't be able to get your deposit back for your crappy starter motor (most 2nd places refurbish them)

bennjamin
31-01-2009, 10:59 PM
if you have another , try your spare key. could be faulty key chip , or too much static from teh user (you)