PDA

View Full Version : ITBs or turbo

kiwi135
31-01-2009, 01:49 PM
should i get some ITBs or a turbo setup for my k20 only got enough money for one or the other. has anyone done this before and what gains can i get form each

EP3EVA
31-01-2009, 01:54 PM
should i get some ITBs or a turbo setup for my k20 only got enough money for one or the other. has anyone done this before and what gains can i get form each

hehe easy:

if you like exiting out of the corner fast go TURBO!!

if you like entering a corner fast go ITB'S

aaronng
31-01-2009, 01:57 PM
If you want power, go turbo. If you want response, go ITB. ITB alone won't give much top end power. You need everything else like cams, ecu, raised compression to make power, and pistons and rods for your engine to survive.

Limbo
31-01-2009, 02:09 PM
go the turbo, you'll never look back & the potential is almost endless.
ONly reason you go ITB is if your really wanting an all motor engine for racing that class and chasing the last bits of power.

Bludger
31-01-2009, 07:29 PM
should i get some ITBs or a turbo setup for my k20 only got enough money for one or the other. has anyone done this before and what gains can i get form eachoihh cool, the way you say it, do some people get both?

JasonGilholme
31-01-2009, 07:33 PM
hahha .

I don't know why you're comparing ITB's and Turbo. They're a different outcome all together.

Turbo = Big power gain

ITBs = mild power gain.

Depends what you want. i know what i'd choose.

LowEk
31-01-2009, 07:51 PM
hahha .

I don't know why you're comparing ITB's and Turbo. They're a different outcome all together.

Turbo = Big power gain

ITBs = mild power gain.

Depends what you want. i know what i'd choose.

ITB's :thumbsup:

bennjamin
31-01-2009, 08:33 PM

i think you only have enough money for one. Just ITBs setup will be cheaper than a turbo setup on a k series.

Zdster
31-01-2009, 08:41 PM
i think you only have enough money for one. Just ITBs setup will be cheaper than a turbo setup on a k series.

As Ben said. There is a heck of a price difference between ITB's and a good turbo setup.

JasonGilholme
31-01-2009, 09:10 PM
ITB's :thumbsup:

lol nah man.

Turbo > ITBs.

Limbo
31-01-2009, 09:19 PM
anyway if you get turbo it almost makes the ITB useless as no-one is gonna tune each cylinder for you, i've asked before. The end up making a single pendulm and it kinda defeats the ITBs.

Anywa, ITB will prob be looking at like 2-3k to setup properly
Boosted K series 10k+ (not much support yet for turbo K series)

bennjamin
31-01-2009, 11:01 PM
for turbo -i should think a properly designed K series exhaust manifold properly designed (custom or off the shelf) would net a couple of grand itself....

SPL_K
01-02-2009, 01:01 AM
anyway if you get turbo it almost makes the ITB useless as no-one is gonna tune each cylinder for you, i've asked before. The end up making a single pendulm and it kinda defeats the ITBs.

There's plenty of turbo K series support just not in Australia. With the dollar the way it is now, to get a top off the line turbo kit from America would see you around 9-10k landed. Then you'd need a lot of things like, exhaust, ecu, injectors, tuning, labour, etc. It's not just a basic thing where you go buy the kit and bolt it on. You'll more then likely need another 3-5k on top depending who you go to.

rayb3na_
01-02-2009, 03:39 AM
i dont see how you'll only have moeny for one or the other.. good turbo setup for the k will probably cost you around roughly 10k thats gotta be some fully sick itbs for 10k. =o

Nepolian
02-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Few things to consider here!

Turbo.......heap more power gain and like said, proper setup would cost anywhere between 6-10K. Too many variables to consider in relations to cost.

ITB's are good for all round performance gain and sounds really good. But you need to realise that you need ecu to tune properly and will not yield too much gain unless used with other mods ie good header exhaust etc......

I would go turbo if I could afford it. Having said that, I bought a Honda for NA performance.

My 2c

fatboyz39
02-02-2009, 07:50 AM
windmill all the way!

Slaz
02-02-2009, 10:06 AM
windmill all the way!

Yep. :thumbsup:

But your budget doesnt make much sense doing either properly?

trism
02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I bought a Honda for NA performance.

this.

fatboyz39
02-02-2009, 12:12 PM

A good set of ITB's will set you back 3-4k for the unit itself. Now with turbo, a decent kit from US will cost about 6-7k landed with most bits needed. Both setups will require some kind of tunable ECU.

Go for boosted K'series!....:thumbsup:

grumpy rooster
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Power = turbo
Response = ITBs

Type R Positive
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
ITB's are just for Honda boys in denial......

bennjamin
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
In denial of what ?

Type R Positive
02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
In denial of what ?
that turbo's are better! :p

Nepolian
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
that turbo's are better! :p

We're starting to compare apples with oranges again!

N/A and turbo are two very different forms of performance that cant be compared to each other!

Type R Positive
02-02-2009, 04:59 PM
We're starting to compare apples with oranges again!

N/A and turbo are two very different forms of performance that cant be compared to each other!
Did you read the thread title by any chance? :zip:

Nepolian
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Did you read the thread title by any chance? :zip:

Have you read it??

I have answered the title in post # 15!

Meanwhile your first post # 21 did not answer the title and in a roundabout way, tried to sh*t stir!

Anyway the answer to the title has been answered about 10 times!

...Peace out :thumbsup:

kiwi135
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
people i started this thread for opinions not smart ass answers or for people to start bitching

Benson
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I vote for Turbo! If done properly you can make it responsive

Type R Positive
02-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Is your car stock? If it is, then ITBs will do fark all.

Type R Positive
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I vote for Turbo! If done properly you can make it responsive power low in the revs with right turbo choice. ;)

JDMWhore
05-02-2009, 12:40 PM
ITB's are great for response
Turbo gives a bigger kick then v-tec though..
If you get a turbo installed.. you'll think V-tec is like waiting for bad sex

NightKids
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Is your car stock? If it is, then ITBs will do fark all.

That is apparently a myth, i read it in a magazine somewhere but don't ask me where.

trism
06-02-2009, 01:36 PM
not a myth.

all it will do is increase throttle responsiveness.

wont increase power at al

you need cams, and a tune to make the most of it

JasonGilholme
06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
vtec doesn't give a kick. Turbo gives a kick.

assuming a stock engine:

If you want power go with turbo. if you want noise go with ITBs.

bennjamin
06-02-2009, 01:47 PM
you guys are missing the original point of this thread - its about money.

For lesser money you can get the ITBs and a tuneable ecu to take advantage of them/make em work properly. Cheaper significantly than a turbo setup.

But $ per KW the turbo setup is much better value.

JDMWhore
06-02-2009, 02:24 PM
you guys are missing the original point of this thread - its about money.

For lesser money you can get the ITBs and a tuneable ecu to take advantage of them/make em work properly. Cheaper significantly than a turbo setup.

But $ per KW the turbo setup is much better value.

I agree.. ITB's will give you good bang for your buck but you'll still be spending quite a bit for very little gain.. if you want heaps of gain spend that bit extra and get the turbo kit..

JasonGilholme
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree.. ITB's will give you good bang for your buck but you'll still be spending quite a bit for very little gain.. if you want heaps of gain spend that bit extra and get the turbo kit..

x2 :thumbsup:

NightKids
06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
But if u have to buy all the other stuff to make the ITB produce power then aren't it gonna be the same/more expensive?

JDMWhore
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
But if u have to buy all the other stuff to make the ITB produce power then aren't it gonna be the same/more expensive?

This is true.. ITB's dont do much if your running on stock internals.. as said before new cams and tunning would be required.. so you'd be dishing out more money after or before you get them installed.. personally, i'm a fan of non turbos myself, just coz of response.. but in the end if you want quick results then turbo is probably best for you.. ITB's require paitence and a lot more money ones there installed to get much out of it..

JasonGilholme
06-02-2009, 05:03 PM
turbo hondas have plenty of response over other cars. Its cause we keep our stock compression when we go turbo and don't rely on boost to get the car moving.

Once you buy the ITB's + supporting mods to actually make any descent gains you'll be spending more then a turbo setup and will still have less power.