PDA

View Full Version : D2 Racing Coilovers - reviewed!!

-h2n-
19-10-2004, 11:02 PM
DISCLAIMER: This review is based on my findings and other documentation from the manufacturers website and is solely of my opinion

Hey all... upon request, I have come up with a quick review of my D2 racing coilovers:

1 - Ride quality

I normally run my coilovers on the "recommended" stiffness for normal driving. This is more towards the stiffer end of the spectrum for these coilovers and feels much harder than stock. If you stay in Melbourne like I do, you're gonna feel all those damn tram tracks and any other little bump in the road so be prepared!!

Having said that, these are adjustable coilovers and so can be dialled in to a much more "normal" setting. However, if the car is lowered as well, which you'd want it to be, you wouldn't want to put it onto this setting unless you love it when the bottom of your car meets with the asphalt!!

2 - Handling

Very much improved. The car feels more like it is stuck to the ground and lateral sway is greatly reduced. You will have greater confidence to tackle corners and pull out of them at speed because alot of the inherent understeer of the factory setup is eliminated.
I personally feel that this mod does away with the need for the front strut and rear sway bar combination unless you're into squeezing every last drop of performance out of your car... but whatever floats yer boat!!!

3 - Looks

Yep yep!! The D2 are ride height adjustable so you can slammmm it to the floor or shove your whole fist into your wheel arches... whatever you want you can do with these babies!! Me, I love my car too much and can't stand the constant scraping that comes with going too low. I've got 2 fingers front and back and still have to be careful with the driveways and road humps etc... however, I can still escape most situations as long as I go slow and be careful.

So there you have it... the best solution to a suspension upgrade with, performance, looks, and overall value for money in my opinion.

Hope this review is informative and remember that modding is cool but you have to stay safe on the road!!

PWP RULEZZZZ!!!
Henry.

EDIT: added disclaimer for ya ;)

toE
20-10-2004, 04:53 AM
we do have a review forum ;)

tinkerbell
20-10-2004, 10:55 AM
picsorban

GaryD
20-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Price?

-h2n-
20-10-2004, 04:48 PM
wups!! my bad... should get out of the accord forum more!!hehe...:o

here is the link of them installed in my car...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3015395093&mode=invite

you can't actually see the coilovers so just imagine some violet/purple looking coilovers under there...

as to price, you can get them installed for under 2k if you shop around.

yfin
22-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks for this Henry - appreciated :D

J-MuN
22-10-2004, 06:55 PM
yups D2 Coilovers are awesome!! i got them on my em1 and its slammed to the floor... thinking of raising it to two fingers, like yours harry... you cant even stick a pinky between the guard and tire.. but yeh overall, i'm very pleased with them.. only bummer, they kinda noisy but i guess thats wit all coilovers..

wynode
23-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Nice work :)

xKx_31
19-11-2004, 01:18 AM
wow ... anyone want those coilovers =p

heheheheee

[stealth]
11-06-2005, 10:34 AM
how are they noisy... whilst driving julz or when adjusting or something?

z3lda
11-06-2005, 11:20 AM
thats becuz he doesnt lub it.

KB
11-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Not Hijacking this thread but thought I should add some more positive review for D2 Racing Coilovers.

EDIT: Thanks to Benny for getting these for me.

DISCLAIMER: This review is based on my findings and other documentation from the manufacturers website and is solely of my opinion

I think the D2 racing coilovers are great value for money! Included is a coilover with Height, Damper and Rebound ajustablity. The coilovers are really easy to adjust too! Simply by jacking up one wheel at a time, then removing the wheel all ajustments can be made without even removing the shock. Simpley by undoing the lock nut and rotating the coilover you adjust its height.

Ride quality is really good. Even with a 11Kg/7Kg spring rate driving on the road is still very comfortable. Adjusting the damper allows you to have simple choose a softer flowing ride or rock hard (My Favorite). So far the Coils have been good to me. Handeling, Cornering, Turn In, Stability as well as braking performence have all improved greatly. The absence of body roll gives you a much better feel for your car. Predictable Cornering.

My EJ8 Lowered
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/835Picture_001-med.jpg

Overall I rate them 9/10. Very good entry level coilover. Perfect for anyone wanting fully adjustable suspension. Hope this helps.

-KB

[stealth]
17-06-2005, 02:30 AM
nice quick review there.. with that pic of ur lowered car.. how much more can you lower it with the D2s?

also, are these the street version D2 coilovers??

KB
18-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Not sure about 'street version' or what. Can lower probably 2", ie guard is at the rims edge.

[stealth]
19-06-2005, 12:17 AM
well the D2 coilovers come in 4 models.. I assume u got the street model as the other models are:

Rally
Drift
and something else..

You saying u can lower another 2" or so from that pic??

Also, how much did u pay for them new?

JMSBND
06-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Hey-h2n-, Those d2 coilovers are a bolt in replacement for my oem 97 Legend struts! I know the tein basics bolt right in but these d2 struts seem to be gettin good feed back I'm in melb who hooked you up and installed em i am ready 2 go! :D

Ironfist
13-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I just got these installed as well with some polyeurthene bushes.

Looks - lowered it so i can stick just 1 finger between the tyre and the guards

performance - Its so much better then stock. Car seems to accelerate better and stop quicker. Going around corners slowly has also improved, like pulling out of the corner.(haven't tried fast) The ride is alot "bouncier" for example driving down a somewhat straight flat road i am moving up and down compared to when i had stock shocks installed i wouldn't move at all. But this could be because the shocks are working more?

Going over speedhumps the front sorta jumps/hops when you leave the speedhump if you go a bit quick but i didn't scrap so that's a +

I have left the damperners on factory settings cos i don't know much about them :P

Overall i'm very happy with them. Would recommend them to other people (although i haven't tried any other brands of suspension)
Would be driving and testing them more but petrol prices have jumped from 1.15 to 1.27 optimax in the time of getting these installed :(

[stealth]
13-07-2005, 11:23 PM
how much lower could u go with these coilovers at ur current height?

Ironfist
13-07-2005, 11:36 PM
no idea.... but i know lower

Sorry can't be anymore helpful then that.... can't really see how much thread is left on the coilover with the tyres on.

[stealth]
14-07-2005, 12:55 AM
take one off and tell me hehe :p

PLYBOY
14-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I have D2 Track use coilovers in my teg, where it sits now i have about 2" of adjustment to come down.. the ride is mint, not as hard as my old teins, but thats because i have a slightly lighter spring rate in these.. but yeh, i recommend them!!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/plyboy/Carpics009.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/plyboy/Carpics010.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/plyboy/Picture006.jpg

[stealth]
14-07-2005, 06:53 PM
wow 2" more after that height.. that is impressive!

Nodachi
30-07-2005, 10:05 PM
how much are these kits and where can i find dem?

[stealth]
31-07-2005, 12:08 AM
http://www.d2racingsports.com.au/contactus.html

:)

r`Geno
31-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Great write-up :thumbsup:

I've been looking for a good set of coilovers - thx, I'll look into D2's

izzy
02-08-2005, 01:41 PM
is it DIY install or you need ppl to install for you, how muhc altogether

Zimp13
02-08-2005, 03:55 PM
well.. important to me how much and where to get ???

KB
02-08-2005, 06:46 PM
izzy its a peice of piss to put on. Easier than conventional spring/shock setup.

Waggy
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
How noisy are they? And what variant did you get (drift/street etc)?

Looking good!

snowman95
02-08-2005, 11:34 PM
if you have heard about some clanking noise during cold days, that was a problem with the earlier produced items. it was due to a low viscosity oil. the new ones dont have this clanking problem i have heard...

anyone taken a set of these onto the track?

PLYBOY
03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
In NZ we only get the track models, ive used them at our track days and they're mint.. i have urgraded my spings in the front though to hard D2 items.. but other then that they're mint..

X8TEENX
22-10-2005, 02:02 AM
is it just feel hard only or very hard...cause i used spoon spring also very hard..and willing to change for D2...hehe..any command?

lazymofo
22-10-2005, 02:40 AM
nice write up

STTICH
22-10-2005, 02:46 AM
wow.. nice. white euro 's hot !

great write up too :)

quangsta
26-10-2005, 11:41 PM
its been a year dude since u put them on.....give us an update....still good?? wearing out??...height dropping??....etc etc....=)

ACTI0NMAN-1
26-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I put them on my DA 3 weeks ago, they fit straight in with no need to replace the front forks. On the DA they sit 1" lower then stock and can only go below that, they are unable to go level or higher than stock. Other than that they are a great setup.

turtleEK1
05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
i'm bangin track spec D2 coilovers too!! and they are one of the best handling mods i've done!! dropped the car heaps and great for hard cornering. mine don't make much noise at all... the only issue i had with them (and you'd get with any new springs) was that when i installed them i put them on a pretty low height setting, and a week later i was bottoming out everywhere! coz the springs work in/settle and the car drops a little bit... mine dropped about 3/4 of an inch! so if you put them on yourself, don't go too low straight up!

but a great package to get if your after great handling!

Zimp13
22-03-2006, 11:07 PM
D2 was facing some problems last year. I m getting one soon and hope that they ve fixed the faults.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=100791

Stoosh
23-03-2006, 05:42 PM
with the height adjustment is that something you can do yourself...or do you have to take it to a workshop to get done..?

jun
23-03-2006, 07:41 PM
u can do it urself, i have my functionxs double adjustment coilover on my ek4, and i DIY the height setting abt 4 times ... easy job :thumbsup:
just try different setting and c which one is the best for u

02ZZI
19-04-2006, 07:36 PM
can anyone recommend me which one of the d2 coilover's would be best for me? i am looking for the lowest possible drop and i like a hard ride? i got a ek1

ulq-507
22-04-2006, 08:21 PM
are you using 18 inches with coilover?
If you go for lower , do u get crack on guard ?
my one is crack always .... what is the offset of ur rim ?

Zilli
03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know if they make them for a dc2r, and if so what kinda price range are we tlaking about here, heps of people have asked and no response?

aDe
18-05-2006, 01:19 PM
My opinion D2 is good value for money, i got the track version on my accord. The thing is when the kits arrived it took me a while to figure out how to adjust the height because it is not the same way to adjust with tein coilover i used to have in my other car. I rang D2 and they said best and reccomended adjusting the height is from the C (if you have the instruction) which is the shaft not from the spring.

I was going to adjust it from spring but they said i will get rough ride and avoid the warranty. So they reccomend not to touch the spring and just left it as it is when it's arrived for me, you can't compress them or make them loose.

Anyway it's bit hard to adjust the height that way because i have to undo the lower arm or the bolt that the shocks hold into. then adjust it from there. not as easy as tein. also it's a bit bumpy as well. i lower it by 60mm front & rear

that's just my opinion.

Cheers

sivic
20-05-2006, 02:30 AM
in regards to the locking rings on the springs (A and B in the instructions i think). after about 1000km jack your car up again and check for any movement of the springs. if they do move a little when you shake them (give them a firm shake) then by all means tighten the locking rings some more on the springs so there is a bit of compression on the springs. this will reduce the noise that some ppl experience and will improve ride quality.
but by all means dont adjust height via the spring.
aDe: quick tip. so you dont have to undo the lower control arm to adjust the hieght- loosen off ring C so its not locked against the lower shaft. then make sure ring A and B under the spring are locked together tightly.
then to adjust height upwards use the spanner and rotate from ring B. as it is locked against ring A it wont move on the thread but rather the entire shock will rotate, unthreading from the lower shaft and therefore raising the height. to lower, do the same but rotate from ring A. rule of thunb is to make sure you are always rotating the ring against the other.
then when you done adjusting height lock off ring c against the lower shaft.
this will save you undoing the lower mount everytime

aDe
20-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Cheers for the tip,

yeah i can do as you say at front but i don't think the rear, i've tried before and the shaft can't moved without taking of the bolts to the control arm, at the front is easy.

Quick question: how much compression should we put on the spring to get good ride quality? coz d2 told me to leave it not compress and allow the spring to move around.

I dunno know which one to follow :( i wish is more easier like tein. : P

in regards to the locking rings on the springs (A and B in the instructions i think). after about 1000km jack your car up again and check for any movement of the springs. if they do move a little when you shake them (give them a firm shake) then by all means tighten the locking rings some more on the springs so there is a bit of compression on the springs. this will reduce the noise that some ppl experience and will improve ride quality.
but by all means dont adjust height via the spring.
aDe: quick tip. so you dont have to undo the lower control arm to adjust the hieght- loosen off ring C so its not locked against the lower shaft. then make sure ring A and B under the spring are locked together tightly.
then to adjust height upwards use the spanner and rotate from ring B. as it is locked against ring A it wont move on the thread but rather the entire shock will rotate, unthreading from the lower shaft and therefore raising the height. to lower, do the same but rotate from ring A. rule of thunb is to make sure you are always rotating the ring against the other.
then when you done adjusting height lock off ring c against the lower shaft.
this will save you undoing the lower mount everytime

sivic
17-06-2006, 02:14 AM
hmmm just came back to this thread.
if your still wondering, i'd compress the spring just so it isnt moving at all in the perch when you shake it. if its allowed to move around your ride will be clunky and noisey. there was a big improvement when i re tightened mine.

ACTI0NMAN-1
17-06-2006, 02:19 AM
i've had these for over 6 months in my DA9 and no problems at all.

paylo
07-09-2006, 02:27 PM
so jus for everyday driving.... wots the deal? pretty uncomfortable ride? lookin into getting some as it looks to be the cheapest way of getting adjustable height but would it be alot of a rougher ride as opposed to teins?

ACTI0NMAN-1
07-09-2006, 02:29 PM
they are fine for everyday driving, just depends on how you have them set. Hard and low will be horrible. i have mine on 1/4 turn from softest setting, lowered 2.25"