PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

Usual Suspect
10-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Well i got $600-$700 bux to spend on some ICE for my car. Its a 1983 Honda Accord with no backshelf. ALl i need is a head unit and some 4"-6" speakers for the front doors. I really want to put an amp in and sub in the back but i want to keep the access to the spare tyre clean. If anyone has suggestions on what stuff to buy or what to do with the boot plz let me know.

Cheers.

XXpl0Sive
10-11-2003, 04:18 PM
What do you mean by keeping access to spare tyre clean?
You tyre's don't pop every day do they?

If you need access, just lift the sub out of the boot right?

Usual Suspect
10-11-2003, 08:55 PM
well, just in case it ever happens i dont want to spend too much time fidling with audio stuff to get the spare out. I am trying to think of some way where i can have a sub but it wont take too much work to move it or disconnect it or whateva.

Anyway, andy ideas on the head unit?

toE
10-11-2003, 09:19 PM
take some pics of ur boot and we can discuss further.

As for headunit..check out the entry levels of Pioneer, Clarion, JVC and Alpine. Narrow it down to looks, functions, features, ur expectations....

Do you want MP3 capabilities?? or just fancy looks??

As for speakers...lots of choices out there...best thing would be to have a listen to dem in a mates car or dealers' board and decide for urself.

Usual Suspect
11-11-2003, 04:52 PM
I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-3550MP coz its cheap, has MP3 playback and most the functions i want. Anyone ahve any first hand experience with it?

Ill see if i can get some pics by next week, need to scam a digi from a friend.

LUD02C
11-11-2003, 06:26 PM
I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-3550MP coz its cheap, has MP3 playback and most the functions i want. Anyone ahve any first hand experience with it?

Ill see if i can get some pics by next week, need to scam a digi from a friend.

My friend has just bought this H/U
Nice headunit, he isn't into Car Audio that much, so we looked at his budget and what he will do and came to a conclusion to buy the Pioneer!

They are a good H/U especially for people who don't care about car audio that much, it is a nice day to day H/U

As for keeping your boot clean and easy access to tyre?
I have done the exact same thing!
Measured my boot, looked at the sub i have JL WO12 4
And made the box and it doesn't take much room at all, and i can still have easy access to my tyre :D

When looking at "easy access" you must consider the size of the sub Enclosure to your boot size!
If an 8" sub is going to give you good access then buy an 8"
DO NOT buy the sub first, because then you are working around the sub fitting and not getting easy access! (if you know what i mean)

As for speakers, yeh go the 6"
If you want to listen to some nice 6" speakers PM me and i'll meet up with you and you can listen to Boston FS-60's in action :D
If you are looking under $350 for splits then i would suggest Pioneer 6" splits!

There around $170 i think, i'll go to the shops and have a look what there called i'll get back to you :D

Anyways, any more questions just ask :D

Jason

joneblaze
11-11-2003, 07:48 PM
hey jason,
u got "marty installed :P" fs-60s? lol... ive been considering them for awhile. remind me to ask u for a listen next meet man :)

LUD02C
11-11-2003, 08:11 PM
hey jason,
u got "marty installed :P" fs-60s? lol... ive been considering them for awhile. remind me to ask u for a listen next meet man :)

You are correct :d
Marty has done all my system

H/U Panasonic
Split's Boston FS-60's
Amp Audison Srx4
Sub JL WO12 4
Sound Deadening (stinger roadkill) 1 roll on door's and soon to be on boot

Next to be upgraded is H/U
No worries about you listening, just bring a CD you listen to alot in your car then compare it to mine :D

Jason

mo
11-11-2003, 08:34 PM
who's Marty?

LUD02C
11-11-2003, 08:39 PM
who's Marty?

Marty is a Professional Car Audio Genius!
He owns FHRX studio's...
He is on Fast Fours Forum if you want to contact him! ( i can't give u his mobile :( )

He does alot of big installs, but he also takes time to do the "smaller" installs, because he knows one day you will come back with $15,000 for an install :D

He is also a wholesaler for audio goods :D

Check out his webpage!
www.fhrxstudios.com

I recommend him to anyone

Jason

Usual Suspect
11-11-2003, 09:33 PM
cheers jason. Although i think it might be a bit hard for meet up with u as im in perth. Cheers for the info.

You reckon u could take some pics of ur boot, so i can see what someones looks like.

Cheers.

wynode
11-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Another FS-60's user :thumbsup: for these splits.

LUD02C
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
cheers jason. Although i think it might be a bit hard for meet up with u as im in perth. Cheers for the info.

You reckon u could take some pics of ur boot, so i can see what someones looks like.

Cheers.

No worries, i'll get my digital camera from work and post some pic's :D

Usual Suspect
12-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Cheers, be a big help.

XXpl0Sive
12-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Hey I still don't get how it's hard to get to the spare tyre?
Don't you just lift the sub out of the boot, and access the spare tyre as normal?

LUD02C
12-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Hey I still don't get how it's hard to get to the spare tyre?
Don't you just lift the sub out of the boot, and access the spare tyre as normal?

Yeh, it is easy!
But you also have to lift the box out, unplug everything etc...
Some people, myself included, would rather have a neat setup so if you need quick and easy access you have it!

Have you ever lifted a 15" sub box enclosure?
She isn't light (but still can lift it)

Easy solution, buy a free to air SUB :D

Usual Suspect
12-11-2003, 11:23 PM
I wouldnt have so much of a problem if i had a solid pacrel shelf goes i would be happy with some kick ass 6x9's in the back, but because its a hatch, it dont.

I think im definetly gonna by that Pioneer head unit, going down the shop on the weekend or friday so ill pop in and ask the guys in their about my situation.

toE
13-11-2003, 12:47 AM
good luck!!

and do post back what you got, prices and from where if it's not too much trouble. :)

Redteg
13-11-2003, 06:35 AM
Get rid of your spare tyre, then you won't need to have access to it :D

I'm yet to do this, but I am considering it.

My Sub box clears the spare, but to make things easier for me I bought a space saver spare and made my own false floor, meaning that all i have to do is pull the carpet up and remove a round panel a bit bigger than the spare for access.

I'd take pics but its not all that special yet. I need holiday time... 2 days and counting!!!!!

poid
13-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Easy solution, buy a free to air SUB :D

that sure aint the easy way! The front of the sub has to be sealed from the rear of the sub for optimal performance, not the easiest thing to do in a hatch (its bad enough in a sedan!) :wink:

For boot space/easy tyre access a small fibreglass enclosure in one of the corners is usually a good way to go

Usual Suspect
13-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Yeah i was thinking of making my own custom floor, but just finished exams and im out with firends pretty much everyday now, and leavers is next week along with a job, time is sparce.

A'PEXi
13-11-2003, 07:31 PM
id just go for an averaged brand mp3 hu and some decent set of 6" splits... you can always transfer them over to your next car :lol:

LUD02C
13-11-2003, 07:35 PM
I've taken photo's of my car's!
The computer i'm on now doesn't have USB so i can't upload yet..
Will do 2mora :D

Usual Suspect
13-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Cheers.

Usual Suspect
03-12-2003, 06:13 PM
UPDATE:

Well im still looking and aint bought nothing so far. My parents have giving me some extra money, so im looking at about maybe 1000. Ive decided to get a sub and amp, as my dad strangely enough convinced me to buy one, but not yet. And ive decided to put some 6x9's in my cars rear 1/4 panels.. Atm with my extra budget im looking at:

1 x Pionner HU (either 3550MP, 5550MP or 7550MP)
2 x Pioneer 4" (either TS-E1075 or TS-G1047)
2 x 6x9's (prob Pioneer, not sure which model)

And eventually:
1 x Pioneer Sub
1 x Pioneer 12" or 15" Sub.

One thing i need to know is what of the above mentioned HU's can control a stacker. Ive have about 3 x 6 CD stackers, all of which are not being used. I ripped from my dads old work, and i was hoping to use them. Most stores say that all of the models can control a CD stacker, but on pioneer's website it is not all to clear if they can or cannot. So can anyone tell me if they can.

And i still need help on deciding which speakers to go for and stuff, so keep the suggestions coming.

joneblaze
03-12-2003, 06:18 PM
dude im not a huge audio phreak, but from looking at wat ur considering, and after listening to several setups which include Boston FS 60s as the front stage, im inclined to advise u ditch the 6x9s and 4"s and use the money for a set of FS60 splits up front. :) leave the stock rear spkrs if u choose. ill stop talkin now and leave the path open for the true audiophiles to speak........ :)

Dream`R
03-12-2003, 08:15 PM
I didn't read the whole thread. But basically forget the 4" and 6x9 ass jon said and get a nice pair of splits. The bostons have been tried and tested by many ppl but u should ALWAYS test them urself before you buy. Also in your last post I dont see an amp there?

Basic setup would be:
Splits up front
Sub
4 channel amp (bridge 2 channels to run amp)

Usual Suspect
03-12-2003, 09:48 PM
And eventually:
1 x Pioneer Sub
1 x Pioneer 12" or 15" Sub.

And remember that my car is a 1983 Honda Accord 3 dr if u havent read that somewhere else.

When i said that the 1 x Pioneer Sub was meant to be 1 x Pioneer Amp.

I dont have rear speakers, only two little pissy 4" front speakers from stock, 1983 style. My door panels wont allow for anything much more than 4" speakers where they are now, and i dont really want to put them further back in the door as 1. if someone else is in there, the sound is blocked by that person and 2. i dont want a great big hole where the old speakers were.

Ive had a look at the boston Fs60's, and they look bitchin, but i cant find any store with a website that has a price for them, and transport is a bit limited, seen as i dont have my P's, so i cant go down to the store on a whim.

joneblaze
03-12-2003, 11:56 PM
lol@no P's...
PM Marty (Fhrx), and perhaps he could mail a set to u.. .:)

Usual Suspect
04-12-2003, 12:58 AM
yeah i know, but concentrating on school, and im a slack git.

euro77
04-12-2003, 07:04 AM
I agree with johnblaze & Dream`R.

Don't by pioneer speakers. And ditch the idea of getting pioneer sub!!! Get yourself a JL 12w3v2 for the sub. It'll keep you happy. Forget about the rear speakers. Leave it stock.

What's the size of the front speaker? go for boston or focal or hertz or phoenix gold splits. but you have to audition them to find which one suit you best. I personally recommend boston because I've heard them and they are awesome! But it comes down to personal choice.

As for amp, again, ditch the pioneer amp. Get an audison SRx3 amp instead, which will be enough to power your front splits and your single sub at the same time. It won't take much space in your boot as it is quite small (it's a longer compared to normal amp but very compact)

poid
04-12-2003, 07:17 AM
I disagree, if you audition all those speakers and find that the Pioneers sound best to you, get them. Granted they probably wont, but never fall into the trap of buying or dismissing something based on brand alone.

Hell many people did that when Pioneer released their SPL sub, and the car that won Deathmatch in the world dB Drag finals ran those Pioneer's. Its shut a LOT of people up.

I'm not a Pioneer fan, but when buying speakers use your ears

Forget the rears, you wont need them. Put that money towards better fronts. And as for amps, decide how much you can spend on the amp(s) and buy the one within that price range that has the looks, features and most importantly power that you need. Steer clear of dodgy amps like Boss and Audioline, because they are crap quality.

What the model numbers of those stackers you have?

Usual Suspect
04-12-2003, 08:26 PM
The stackers are old ones, nicked from jeeps. Looks like i only have one though, the other two must be at my dads old workshop which sucks coz he quit about 2 months ago, oh well. The model number is Alpine CHM-S601.

I need to find somewhere, where i can listen to all the better brand speakers, anyone know where they are some in perth. I know of a few but need others for pricing and stuff.

In the front i can only fit 4", which is what i have there now, but there old and shitty. Im gonna have to either put some better speakers in there or keep the old ones and just not connect them coz i dont want a huge gaping hole in my door.

poid
05-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Those alpine stackers will only work with an Alpine head unit that has the model number starting with "CDM" unfortunately

Usual Suspect
05-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Why's that? I thought they would work with any changer, people put them in jeeps, but the stereoes in jeeps could be re-labelled alpine things. Ah well, not like i needed it or anything, i can get some cheap ones in other places.

Oh and i was talking to one of my friends and he said that i might be able to fit some 6" splits in the front using some spacers.

poid
05-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Because each company uses their own stacker interfaces and cables, and some use different designs even between products (for example, that Alpine is an M-BUS stacker, you can also get AiNET head units and stackers made by Alpine). The jeep head units would be made by Alpine.

You should be ablt to fit larger speakers easily enough using spacers, but i'm not sure exactly what the speaker holes and surrounds are like. If not 6" perhaps 5", they'll be a step up from 4's thats for sure

Usual Suspect
05-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Well i was looking at these spacers, just 6" ones, but they lift the speaker out about 20mm or something, which means that the back of the 6" speaker i use, should fit in the 4" hole already in my door.

No matter about the stacker, with the Mp3 unit ill just have a few discs mp3 discs, should cover all my cruising songs.

Javed
05-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Yeah I suggest you look at your options concerning front splits. I hate to say this, and I do agree "listen with your ears" rather than what people tell you, but... Pioneer splits really do lack the quality from other brands such as Hertz, Pheonix Gold, Boston Acoustics etc. Hell, some of them are even cheaper than pioneer splits! (Check out www.webaudiodirect.com). Also come on over to CAA forums, lots of splits can be had in the for sale forum (dedicated to car audio products) I just picked up my brand new set of Boston Acoustics FS 50's (5.25" instead of 6" FS 60's) for $220 from the forums. They fit perfect into my Integra's speaker plastic pocket thingy too! (Havent completed the install of them yet, cant wait to hear them!) As for amps, a nice 4 channel amp (Response 4*100 RMS maybe?) with 2 channels bridged to give 300 rms to a sub (Ever thought of a pheonix gold octane r 12" sub? Can be had for $179 including free postage and will sound ALOT better than pioneer subs.)

So in total a rough estimate would be say ~$250 for splits ~$350 for the amp $179 for the sub. So in total (excluding headunit) around about $780.

What do you reckon guys?

toE
07-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Hell....if you love pioneer's mate...then go for it. den somewhere down the line, you decide you need more "oomph" then get something else.

sometimes, it's just plain fun to "experience" and "learn" thru mistakes :)

my 2c.

euro77
08-12-2003, 07:17 AM
Well, for me it's better to wait and save more to get the one you want rather than buy now and upgrade later (which you'll definitely lose money on) :)

that's my version of 2c hehehe... :D

And that's the reason I postponed my stereo installation till next year because of the $450 excess insurance i have to pay to fix the hail damage :evil:

Usual Suspect
08-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Ive been to that webaudio direct before, some good stuff there, but i want to here the stuff for myself, first.

The reason i was looking at pioneers is coz they aren't gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get some audio in my car, they may not be a good as boston acoustics, but they dont cost as much either.

I found out that the Pioneer head units can control a stacker, but that seems a bit obselete now. Anyway, i think im just gonna go for the Pioneer 3550MP headunit, possibly the one up if i can afford it.

On saturday my dad was gonna take me out shopping, but i had a party that night and i spent most of the day getting the house ready for it, and next week im really busy, so i may not be able to get down till after christmas.

What do u guys reckon of those Pheonix packages on Webaudio Direct?

luzinit
08-12-2003, 03:15 PM
I got my boston fs60 splits for 250!

thats about same price as pioneer bullet splits or something, so its not that expensive!

A'PEXi
08-12-2003, 05:46 PM
might be a bit tight on the budget there... a regular hu + splits would be about 400?? add in an amp and a sub + wires and installation fee then pop! unless you install it yourself... that would save you a bit....

Usual Suspect
08-12-2003, 07:31 PM
i will be installing it myself, along with my dad, wires is not a problem either.

I have been looking at the Pheonix line of stuff and they look awesome, but im still looking for somewhere over here to listen to them.

It sucks so much noth having P's, WHY WAS I SO SLACK, ahhh screw it.

Usual Suspect
08-12-2003, 09:06 PM
What do you guys reckon of the Rockford Fosgate Punch 401S amp?

Some guy on CAA is selling it, ya reckon it might be to much for what im after?

He is askin 350, and its due to be sold soon. Link is below. If its anygood i might offer him more.

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006975

Javed
08-12-2003, 11:06 PM
That amp is already bought by me :D $350 brand new. Should arrive tomorrow! I offered the dude 350, it was knocked back, then he came back saying that I could have it! Stoked :)

Usual Suspect
08-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Cool, good amp then?

I was looking at the online store, and i say again that the pheonix speakers are now the ones im looking at buying, still with a Pioneer HU.

I was looking at:
Pheonix Gold R 6" Coaxial - 60/120W - $149
Pheonix Gold R 12D Sub - 250/500W - $189
Pheonix Gold R 5.0:4 Amp - 80x4, 250x2 - $429

although that may be a little extra (+ hu) that i was willing to spend, i may be able to scam the rest for my birthday stuff, which i never got (bday is september). I was supposed to get a digi cam and an Mp3 player but never did.

euro77
09-12-2003, 07:28 AM
I believe the Phoenix Goldd R5.0:4 amp is rated 80 w max x 4 and 250 w max x 2. The power rating is not RMS. It won't be enough to power your sub mate. RMS is 50x4 and 150x2.

For bang for your bucks, buy the Audison SRx4 (60wrms x 4 or 170wrms x 2) $490 or if you have more to spend, go for Audison SRx3 (75wrms x 2 + 250wrms x 1). Marty (FHRX Studios (http://www.fhrxstudios.com/)) currently have it for sale for $595.

Usual Suspect
09-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Do FHRX have online pricing or online purchasing?

Cheers for the info, i might go for the SRx4 instead and maybe get a less powerful sub, or will the amp handle the Pheonix Gold Sub that i listed before?

euro77
09-12-2003, 03:57 PM
you have to email him. Or pm him. He's a member of this forum as well. his username is FHRX I think.

The PG sub you are after is rated 250w rms, so it'll be underpowered if you use SRx4. But at least it will get you started and if you are open to system upgrade in the future it shouldn't be hard.

Usual Suspect
09-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Well at the moment i want dont want to buy some things then upgrade them, just get what i need now so i can have a kickin system in my car.

I think i might get a lesser rated sub and the sxr4, coz that amp would be good for the speakers im looking at i reckon. Im trying to get my friend to swing round with his digital camera so i can take some pics of my car and let everyone see the interior and what im talking about. Hopefully should get it buy friday.

Usual Suspect
11-12-2003, 01:44 AM
What do guys reckon if i boought some of the stuff this guy was selling, namely the 2 amps and the sub.

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=007155

Would i still get good sound on the sub running it of that Daweoo amp, and would the PG amp be alright for running some PG R 6" coaxils, the ones i mentioned before?

euro77
11-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Never heard of Daewoo amp before, but the watt rating seems alright.
The rest are top stuff.

Usual Suspect
11-12-2003, 12:35 PM
So if i bought the lot, the 2 amps and the sub and all the stuff i would need to install the stuff, for $400, it would be a good deal?

Dream`R
11-12-2003, 03:48 PM
I believe the Phoenix Goldd R5.0:4 amp is rated 80 w max x 4 and 250 w max x 2. The power rating is not RMS. It won't be enough to power your sub mate. RMS is 50x4 and 150x2.

For bang for your bucks, buy the Audison SRx4 (60wrms x 4 or 170wrms x 2) $490 or if you have more to spend, go for Audison SRx3 (75wrms x 2 + 250wrms x 1). Marty (FHRX Studios (http://www.fhrxstudios.com/)) currently have it for sale for $595.

I dont think Audison is known as a bang for your buck brand. They are more into the quality/higher end market. With bang for your buck you should try Jaycar, but im not sure of their quality.

vti-2
11-12-2003, 04:35 PM
I dont think Audison is known as a bang for your buck brand.

If you put Euro77's comment into the perspective of higher end SQ amps you will find that the Audison SRx series amps are very good bang for your buck. Arguably one of the best built 'budget' SQ amps on the Australian market.

:thumbsup:

As for Jaycar... forget about it. Unless you really have the smallest budget to work with i'd try my best to avoid Jaycar. If you can't afford the likes of Audison look at brands like Coustic, Crossfire, Alpine and Kicker.

euro77
11-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks for straightening my comment, vti-2 :D
Yeah, what I meant is for SQ setup, then Audison SRx series is the one to go if you are on a tight budget. Of course there are other brand that is as good or even better than Audison, but I don't think they can beat the price.

Response amps are cheap and they have enough power. But for SQ setup... :?

Usual Suspect
01-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Well it is all over, for the moment. With out me knowing my dad went out and bought a setup for me.

I have:

4" 150w Pioneer Front Speakers with seperate tweeters
3 way 6x9 180w Panasonic Rear speakers, mounted in rear quarter panels
Pioneer 3550MP Head Unit.

Its not the best system in the world, but it does what i want it to. The mounitng of thr 6x9's was an absolute bitch, took me and my dad almost 3 days just to mount them, we had to make custom panels to mount in the quaters, mainly coz i have a 3dr accord.

Anyway, gonna go out early this yr, should be late january/early february and we are gonna buy a kicker amp and sub package, dont know exact model. And then eventually dad reckons i could get another kicker amp and sub package. We have already started on designs for a false floor for the boot :).

Anyway, happy new year all,

Adrian.

euro77
02-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Oh well, can't do anything about it if your dad already bought it for you. Head unit is fine, the rest... oh well... as long as it does what it does and you are happy with it, then it's alright.

as for sub and amp package, if you can still have your voice, go for JL W3 (10 or 12) and audison or pg or jl or rockford amps. kicker solobaric sub should be good, but I don't know about the amp.

A'PEXi
03-01-2004, 11:30 AM
make sure you have some money left for wiring and spacers if you need them for the 6x9's and installation costs if you dont plan on installing it yourself.

Usual Suspect
03-01-2004, 06:34 PM
i have already installed them, took 4 days. Had to make custom panels for the 6x9's to fit in the back seat panels. Main problem was that the hole speaker, the speaker itself, mounting trim and grill, all had to be in the door, so that my rear seats could fold down.

The system sounds pretty good funny enough, i mean it wouldnt do for an audiophile, but seeing as im a little deaf in my left ear, due to a crap load of earcahes when i was a kid, and the fact that im not an audiophile, i reckon it sounds pretty good. Eventually if i stick with my car, ill end up putting some better 6x9's in the back, but the front speakers are pretty good in my opinion. Still waiting for my amps and subs though.

Jacko
27-01-2004, 09:36 PM
ive been told pioneer have some good 200+ watt speakers for 38 bucks each from strathfield.. ;)

euro77
28-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Well, depending on what you mean by "good speakers"... at least you get what you pay for.