PDA

View Full Version : Will it Snap: Short Shifter...???

jsttgn
19-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Gday...Just bought a short shifter for my teggy and it feels quite light. Some people claim that it can snap because its made out of aluminium. Obviously, its shorter and therefore it not much of a lever because of it. That must mean it puts actual shifter under heaps of stress causing it to break? Seems a little dodgy but i'm curious for other peepz that bought it? Recommended or Not? Can i cut the original Shifter and make a new set of threads by using a tap and die set?? What do you reckon?

aznsiko
20-10-2004, 12:44 AM
umm... what ive done is actualli cut the top bit wid thread of.. den cut the stick and welded the thread section back on.. therefore u got the orignal threads and un hab to worri abt makin new threads.. but make sure u disconnect the battery wen welding cos u may burn the cars computer.. dats wat i was told.. better safe den sorry.. lol

GYPO2C
20-10-2004, 01:25 PM
a short shifter doesnt just involve having a shorter gear stick. Ive got a short shifter in my teg and its ony about an inch shorter, the main advantage in the short shifter comes from the actual ball at the bottom. Its the size and balance of that ball that actually shortens your shift.

As i said, ive got one, and i throw some quick gear changes and mine feels strong az.

panda[cRx]
28-11-2004, 07:12 AM
its not stick length that the 'short' refers to. all a short shifter does is reduce the throw in gears. most of the time the actual stick will still be same size once installed. the difference between them and stock shift sticks is the distance between the ball and the bottom of the stick where it bolts on is actually longer to give more leverage and reduce throw.

reyesone
28-11-2004, 12:26 PM
because its aluminium im sure it will have more of a chance of snapping than steel

if you shift really hard/fast then yes you are increasing the chances of the shifter snapping for obvious reasons

as the saying goes you get what you pay for

joyride
28-11-2004, 01:39 PM
snapping? thats a first.

tanghy
28-11-2004, 03:28 PM
low quality = snap
simple as that

Nitrate
28-11-2004, 11:01 PM
does a short shifter do a lot for performance? out of interest?

flipmods
29-11-2004, 12:00 AM
PANDA[CRX] is right it is the distance from the ball to the linkage, it will make the throw shorter so you don't have to push so far. Civics have such long throws, I am gonna cut mine and extend it instead of buying one. I never knew they snap, Whoever has snapped one must be on the roids.:D

tanghy
29-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Alot of the cheap shifters are hollow alum. compared to the solid good ones and stock shifters.

tanghy
29-11-2004, 02:15 AM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTUzMjA2czQxM2RmZDMxeTU0MQ%3D%3D