PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Transmission Reco

ksirk
02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
The car shudders, is this evident of a transmission problem?

90LAN
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
its the bearing that runs the cvt box inside
common fault with the cvt box
cost about 3k from honda to fix

02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
best to find 2nd hand gearbox, it would be cheaper then rplacing parts

Gr3ddy
10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Not worth it to replace/fix the transmission for $3k imo... or at least thats what CATS told me...if you can fix it for around $1k-1.5k may be it is worth it...

i heard its a common Vtec problem if its 100k km or more....discuss?

Type S Tony
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Not worth it to replace/fix the transmission for $3k imo... or at least thats what CATS told me...if you can fix it for around $1k-1.5k may be it is worth it...

i heard its a common Vtec problem if its 100k km or more....discuss?

CATS are known for overcharging, and the quality of their work is pretty S***house.

panda[cRx]
10-02-2009, 03:35 PM
does the car have any honda service history?

even if it doesnt i would take it to a dealer to get them to check it. honda is covering some cvt repairs even out of warranty at the moment.

they did the same with with the hrv and eg civic vti with the cvt

u never know u might get a free trans, or at least get honda to give assistance in some of the repairs

how/when is it stalling? stalling isn't very common. usually its a shudder on initial takeoff

chkn
10-02-2009, 06:43 PM
i had a shudder problem, i still have the problem on cold days, have you every replaced the trans fluid???? I got honda to do mine, after alot of work and complaining to my dealer, and it fixed the problem, i also upgraded to a new battery, it also helped, but i would suggest to see the dealer before going to anyone else, see if you can get anything under warranty first.

X3E
27-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Try using this additive from the USA, OIL EXTREME, in Singapore, being very hot and humid, the CVT does get jerky and adding this really helps. PM me if you need one.

we have sold over 200 bottles to JAZZ/FIT owners in Singapore and if you take the time to register in the Singapore JAZZ forum or the HONDA JAZZ CLUB AUSTRALIA, it is also posted with very many positive feedbacks.

panda[cRx]
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
....or if they take it to a dealer they can in most cases can get a FREE cvtf change from honda

X3E
03-03-2009, 07:18 AM
HONDA DEALERS will only change the cvt for you if you are under the warranty, if not, be ready to dish out $200 for the fluid flush!

We have tons of cars that have added the OIL EXTREME to their CVT, even those with warranty for a real smooth cvt operations. A real small investment to ensure problem free cvt.

Enjoy, ivan

panda[cRx]
03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
HONDA DEALERS will only change the cvt for you if you are under the warranty

ok i'll say it again....they have extended the warranty on the jazz, just like they did the hrv cvt :)

phrosyn
10-03-2009, 12:03 PM
the shudder maybe a cvt start clutch issue, or it might just be the EGR valve they also cause a shudder during take off and commonly fail get that inspected 1st as it might save you a few grand in repairs if it turns out not to be egr valve start off with a cvtf flush then if that doesnt fix it youll have to get an overhaul, check warranty 1st of course, good luck mate

preludacris
10-03-2009, 01:12 PM
how long has warranty been extended by?

thommo
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Have two Jazzes and have had shudder problems (which they called 'starter cluch needs replacing) on both. The 07 was replaced under warranty but 03 has done 230,000km so no warranty there. They've quoted $2,500 to fix the problem. They've told me anything up to 160,000km will be replaced under warranty.

X3E
09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
try the Oil Extreme Oil additive, been proven to solve almost all shudders in the HONDA JAZZ/CITYs.

contact me if you are interested, info@x3emotorsports.com

even some dealership have tested these with GREAT RESULTS!

Cheers, ivan

icejazz
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Thommo,
when did the CVT shudder start to happen on your 03 Jazz? You have done heaps of K's on it (230K) just wanted to know if you have changed the CVT oil often in the past. Did you mainly do country K's on it?

thommo
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
yes I have done heaps of k's and mainly highway running-about 90%. Did services by the book by Honda every 10k and when the shudder started to happen(about 20-30k ago) they changed the oil again which decreased the symtoms but didn't eliminate. Like to have a go at this "oil Extreme" but wary of 'you-beaut fixes' originating via the net.

william23
12-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Have two Jazzes and have had shudder problems (which they called 'starter cluch needs replacing) on both. The 07 was replaced under warranty but 03 has done 230,000km so no warranty there. They've quoted $2,500 to fix the problem. They've told me anything up to 160,000km will be replaced under warranty.
my 2005 Jazz only done 60,000km, but i modified exhaust , wheels and lowered the car. can they fix the problem under warranty?

thommo
12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Not something I could answer- suggest getting in touch with your local Honda Dealer. But they did say any jazz up to 160k. Always found because I had my car regularly serviced at the same dealer(although probably dearer) they 'gave' a little extra when it came to problems

siam
12-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got a Jazz VTi manual ( 2006) with this shudder problem present for over 18 months. Dealer can't find the cause..... Is this starter clutch issue you describe an issue on manual transmissions ? He says the problem only occurs in automatic transmissions only because a starter clutch does not exit in manual transmissions. Any opinions on that advice.

fundies
14-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Guys,

I've got a Jazz VTi manual ( 2006) with this shudder problem present for over 18 months. Dealer can't find the cause..... Is this starter clutch issue you describe an issue on manual transmissions ? He says the problem only occurs in automatic transmissions only because a starter clutch does not exit in manual transmissions. Any opinions on that advice.

The starter clutch only exists in the CVT. Sounds like your manual clutch plates need replacing, which will work out a lot cheaper than fixing a CVT.

siam
14-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Thank you. Much appreciated advice. :)

thommo
14-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Just like to give some feedback on the oil extreme I tried for my 03 auto Jazz with a clutch shudder problem. Tried it because I had nothing to lose and cost little. It worked and have now done 260k. I do treat the Jazz like an old pensioner though, steady steady as she goes on take off but completely happy with Oil Extreme. happy to recommend it.

fundies
15-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Just like to give some feedback on the oil extreme I tried for my 03 auto Jazz with a clutch shudder problem. Tried it because I had nothing to lose and cost little. It worked and have now done 260k. I do treat the Jazz like an old pensioner though, steady steady as she goes on take off but completely happy with Oil Extreme. happy to recommend it.

Nice to know if I get the shudder and need to sell to some lucky punter:p