PDA

View Full Version : ED Conversion help

tseesinngwailo
03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey All,

I have recently got a 1991 ED Civic Hatch, but the D15B Twin Carb is siezed (not checked, but sure it is) and the Auto box was having issues sticking in 1st gear.

I am going to replace engine and box in one go to save hassles.

I would like to replace the engine and box with another D15B plus auto, but was wondering just how much extra work is involved to put a D15B Injected from an EG, apart from fuel lines and a tank (from a CRX?) is there much to putting the loom in?

If it only adds a few days to the process, I am all for it, but dont want to spend weeks scrounging wreckers for stuff.

Does the auto of an EG bolt straight in? Dont want to be stuffing round with mounts if I can help it.

Any ideas or suggestions greatfully accepted (NO, no B16A, so dont suggest)

Cheers

TseesinnGwailo

revjunkie
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM
hey mate,

i did this exact thing myself. this was my project about 5 years ago. the result is awesome. i love the ED's.

had a EFI d16y SOHC vtec motor and placed it where the carby motor used to go.. its easier to do than you think hey.. i will try and find the guy on here that bought the car.. it has since been through 2 owners, driven to sydney then back to brisbane since i have done the conversion. i couldnt beleive it still goes. never had any troubles. i used to race everything with it.. and do mountain runs in it.. that famous honda noise was great!!..

Henessaayyy
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
D15 Carbie to D15 EFI will be easy.
Wiring will be simple too and same goes for fitting the engine.
I think the most trouble will be the fuel lines and tank... The rest is sinch!

You won't have any hassles mate :)

Webby_roller
04-02-2009, 09:44 PM
hey mate,

i did this exact thing myself. this was my project about 5 years ago. the result is awesome. i love the ED's.

had a EFI d16y SOHC vtec motor and placed it where the carby motor used to go.. its easier to do than you think hey.. i will try and find the guy on here that bought the car.. it has since been through 2 owners, driven to sydney then back to brisbane since i have done the conversion. i couldnt beleive it still goes. never had any troubles. i used to race everything with it.. and do mountain runs in it.. that famous honda noise was great!!..

Hey, Im the one that bought it :D

It does go hard, and is one of the best sounds i have heard!!!

I havn't had any real issues with it, only part that is annoying is the wiring.

You may have to go from the OBD0 in the ED to OBD1. Depends what motor you are getting.

Apart from that its an awsome choice. I do mountain passes in it also, sounds awsome up the side of a mountain.

Oh, one more thing, you will need to find a way to run an electronic VSS. This is required by the ECU, and it took me several months to find one from an EF crx with the VSS in the cluster. ( no VSS, no vtec)

oh, the last thing, make sure you get a fuel pump that can supply enough pressure, I had a problem of leaning out in vtec as the fuel pump wouldnt supply enough pressure, was running bosch 070, now running walbro 190lph.

Hope this helps...

SHOGUNOVDDRK
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Chris the first reply is what i told ya on Sunday :p

Give it a go mang :)

^ I know a guy who had a y1 chucked in @ a workshop, he now has a manual VTEC switch.

Webby_roller
05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Chris the first reply is what i told ya on Sunday :p

Give it a go mang :)

^ I know a guy who had a y1 chucked in @ a workshop, he now has a manual VTEC switch.

I had the manual switch aswell, it was fun for a while but was really disapointing having to turn in on during mountain trips...

I spent a while searching and found that its possible to get an EF CRX cluster with the VSS in the cluster, so you can still run the manual speedo cable and have vtec actuated automatically by the computer.

it was a straight swap aswell, took me as long as 15 minutes to swap. But that is if you really care about the computer activating it.

I say give it a go, nothing like starting your own project car and cruising around....

jdm_b16a
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
You may have to go from the OBD0 in the ED to OBD1. Depends what motor you are getting....

I'm converting the whole harness over to the D16Y1. I'm using a B16 harness.

Oh, one more thing, you will need to find a way to run an electronic VSS. This is required by the ECU, and it took me several months to find one from an EF crx with the VSS in the cluster. ( no VSS, no vtec)...

So are you saying if I stick with the cable box I've got a problem? More info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

jdm_b16a
05-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I have recently got a 1991 ED Civic Hatch, but the D15B Twin Carb is siezed (not checked, but sure it is) and the Auto box was having issues sticking in 1st gear.

I am going to replace engine and box in one go to save hassles.

Hey Chris why don't you drop 'round my place and we can compare notes. I've got a second ED Hatch with the same seized engine and auto box. I was looking at dropping a B18A into it but that's on hold at the moment. The other car's progress has stalled due to other things taking precedent.

Peter

revjunkie
05-02-2009, 08:51 PM
here he is!!.. man honestly i miss that car soo much!!.. maddest car i ever owned. give it back to me :(

the bosch 070 i used is rated at like 290hp.. the thing must have died. oh well.. good choice of replacement pumps dude.

Hey, Im the one that bought it :D

It does go hard, and is one of the best sounds i have heard!!!

I havn't had any real issues with it, only part that is annoying is the wiring.

You may have to go from the OBD0 in the ED to OBD1. Depends what motor you are getting.

Apart from that its an awsome choice. I do mountain passes in it also, sounds awsome up the side of a mountain.

Oh, one more thing, you will need to find a way to run an electronic VSS. This is required by the ECU, and it took me several months to find one from an EF crx with the VSS in the cluster. ( no VSS, no vtec)

oh, the last thing, make sure you get a fuel pump that can supply enough pressure, I had a problem of leaning out in vtec as the fuel pump wouldnt supply enough pressure, was running bosch 070, now running walbro 190lph.

Hope this helps...

Webby_roller
05-02-2009, 11:05 PM
here he is!!.. man honestly i miss that car soo much!!.. maddest car i ever owned. give it back to me :(

the bosch 070 i used is rated at like 290hp.. the thing must have died. oh well.. good choice of replacement pumps dude.

Hey man, nah, it wasnt the power output that was the problem, it was the pressure level it could put out...

The motor needed 50 ish psi, but the bosch 070 was maxed at 40psi, and that is in a perfect system... so with all the losses of the restrictive fuel lines it wasnt anywhere near there when it got to the engine bay, so a bigger pump to increase pressure was what was needed.

If i end up getting a new car in the next couple of months (looking for a crx) and you are really really wanting it back we could proabably talk somthing through, like its an awsome daily :)

Umm.. now to the question about the cable box.... if you run the cable box to the speedo, there is no way for the computer to pick up the VSS sensor that it needs as that is one requirement for VTEC to engage.

A couple of ways around this is to either run the vtec solinoid to a switch, or try and find a rpm activated switch. (i tried this and was very unreliable at getting the correct crossover point)

I researched for days and found there are 3 types of VSS, one is on newer cars and is connected straight to the gear box, the other is much rarer and was used in EF crx's, (only some, cant remember which models) and it uses the original cable from the gear box, but has a electronic sensor in the cluster which you splice into the ecu harness pin B10. This will give the computer an electronic signal to how fast you are going and will allow you to run vtec activation from the computer. (considering that all other sensors are working fine)

And finally there is the simple cable VSS which is in the ED civic atm and is just a mechanical system, no electronics required.

Sorry for the long post, I hope this helps a bit, if not i will try my best to answer it in a better way if you need help at all.

Cheers

Spoon-Accord
05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
so basically, if i was gonna put a newer engine, say H22a or B18c in a 89 EF7
i'd need a new guage cluster, due to the fact my one now is cable nor electronic correct?

tseesinngwailo
05-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey All,

Thanks for the info, but 2 things, one is i wasnt thinking vtec unless i came by a vtec D15, and its gonna be auto

i would like to do the injection as it will make the car easier for driving

Peter, will organise a drop round, will bring a tape and camera haha

cheers all, thanks for the awesome info

Webby_roller
06-02-2009, 12:26 AM
you will have to keep us updated to how it goes

Good luck

:)

tseesinngwailo
06-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I will try to, but the biggest thing is what I want to do, and what i should do :) If I can find a good condition cheap D15B twin-carb with auto, i will just drop it in, the full injected option is if i intend to keep the car for a while, which i may not if the current climate keeps going.

That said, do I need to worry about the whole VSS thing if I am NOT using a VTEC engine?

Webby_roller
06-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Nah, you wont need to worry about it i imagine, i had a problem with it cuase of my vtec but yeh....

Hope it all works out

SHOGUNOVDDRK
06-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Chris if you like i can introduce you to my mate Warren with the Y1'd ED.

he didn't have VTEC before and thought he was getting it (LOLOLOLOL) but it had plenty of ooomph without it :)

+ saved a shitload of $ on Petrol

jdm_b16a
07-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Chris if you like i can introduce you to my mate Warren with the Y1'd ED.

he didn't have VTEC before and thought he was getting it (LOLOLOLOL) but it had plenty of ooomph without it :)

+ saved a shitload of $ on Petrol

Oh, Oh, me too please <waving hand in the air>

Need to make some rapid headway before it kills me. :cool:

Peter