PDA

View Full Version : Have i been ripped off??

krzy
03-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi,

Story goes..

I had my entire gearbox replaced about 8000km ago, this included clutch and everything else. 8000km later i started getting a ringing sound.
Ive been getting this sorta ringing sound when i have the clutch depressed (let go) from the gearbox, when i put it down it goes away. So i went back to the same guys who did my gearbox and they said its probably the throw-out bearing but could be the clutch aswell. They said to just leave it with them overnight they will get parts from the same supplier sent in, replace the parts and send the old parts back to the supplier to see if they were on my wrong doing to see if i can get it covered by warrenty. So he stripes my car down gets out the clutch and throw-out bearing for replacing without consulting me that he was going to replace the clutch aswell, put in the NEW items and put my car back together again.... he showed me the clutch AFTER he rebuilt my car and aparently it had done alot more km than it should have and made me feel under the impression that it had to be replaced to fix that ringing sound along with the bearing... So now he has told me that i can take my car and in 3-5weeks the supplier will let him know if its covered or not, so basically i might have to pay like 700dollars if they deem it to be my fault...

A few details on what i saw on the clutch when he showed it to me:
It had a few heatspots on it, and one of the teeth was the tiniest bit bent.

this is where im wondering,

Did the clutch even have to be replaced? i mean im not tech saavy or anything but i only drove it for 8k km, and i dont flog the shit out of it. The clutch before this felt fine, i had no issues with it at all, yet he just sent it off and now i may have to be paying a **** load of money.... He never consulted me on whether or not i want to keep my old clutch or change to a new one..

Any feedback would be great.
I hope this thread makes sense, lol

akira
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
first of all, a new clutch should last you about 100,000kms, not 8000kms. even if the clutch is stuffed up because there are one or two dud ones, he should have consulted with you before replacing your car with a new clutch.
imo it sounds a bit dodgy. if you havent thrashed the car and if you hardly ever ride the clutch, then the clutch should be fine.it should most likely be your mechanic's fault for not installing it properly? or the parts being faulty? either way, you shouldnt be paying extra for it if its not your fault...

gl

turtle187
04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
was he the same person that installed your gearbox and new clutch?

krzy
04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
yep he installed it and everything.

tiksie
05-02-2009, 12:00 AM
If he is a full proper mechanic with a ABN, he has to consult you first before putting parts on your car.

You can tell him you want your old clutch back in so you don't have to pay for anything as he never got your consent to change it in the first place..

It's like you giving your friend keys to your house and saying ''you can have a party in it on friday night'' and he goes and stays there from Monday all the way up till Friday and then parties on friday and leaves the house...NOT ON!

If he wants to screw you around, just whisper the name of Consumer Affairs and he will clean his act up in no time.

Good luck

turtle187
05-02-2009, 08:18 AM
exactly what tiksie said
he should hold the responsibility if the clutch is faulty and is making that weird noise,
neither way it is not your problem if the clutch is faulty as you have gone to a *mechanic* trusting that they will do a good job on your car and avoid further complications
GL dude

jspec civic
05-02-2009, 01:18 PM
i think jsut pay him a visit with a couple of your mates...LOL

krzy
05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
hey all, just wanna say thanks for the great and useful feedback, it should definatly be interesting what he says when he calls me back with the response from their supplier about the part and the warrenty, but yeh no doubt ill hold my ground on this, im just so sick of shit mechanics ffs...

ill keep ya posted

again, cheers