PDA

View Full Version : civic whiny noise when reving high

William
20-10-2004, 11:56 PM
has anyone experienced a whiny noise when they are driving above 5000 revs? it gradually comes in ....and when i let go of acellerator and let it wind down you can notice the whiny noise come down with it.....

maybe its just the civic is like that....i cant remember if its always been like this.

any comments

thanks

Baopham
21-10-2004, 12:01 AM
maybe... its the VTEC.. lol... when my car hits 5700, it gets very loud... thats about all i can help u with.. =D

SiR JDM
21-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Maybe its the drive train sound that your not use to?

Mine is very loud in reverse in particularly... winds up and down upon acceleration/deceleration

William
21-10-2004, 12:20 AM
its a higher pitch than that......its in the range of the wind up of a turbo...but its mixed in with the engine noise....not air....

KB
21-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Yeah i get it. Dunno what it is.

bennjamin
21-10-2004, 12:29 AM
is it relative to revs ? ( IE high revs higher whine noise)
Is it only when you are driving ( IE in gear) ?
DOES it sound like that whine , when reversing ?

If you suffer these symptoms...your ISB or main thrust or release bearings are RS and need replacement *ECUMAN please clarify for us :)*

FULLY SIK!
21-10-2004, 10:20 AM
My sound system used to do that.... do u havea sound system?

sumone told me what it was but i cant remember i think its sumfn to do with the alternator...

people couldnt hear it outside the car.. only in it , its nufn bad though...

hope this may have helped

MRJDM
21-10-2004, 10:51 AM
FULLY SIK- its cos you system isnt grounded (earthed) properly

geo41e
21-10-2004, 11:05 AM
l'm thinking its ur gearbox bearings...same thing happened to me..however mine were worn very badly, and so the noise started comming in after 2000 rpm, and when the clutch is fully out.

if it is, change them, coz i heard u wear out ur syncors, if the gbox bearing are gone.

KB
21-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Hmm well on my car, I have no soundsystem. Its definatly coming from the engine. It doesn't sound bad though, just like a high pitched whine (like turbo spool) the higher you rev the more noticable. I think its normal noise and it sounds good. FYI I know what alternator whine is.

-KB

bennjamin
21-10-2004, 12:18 PM
do u have a cold-air-intake ? This also makes a fair whine or "super charger " noise as revs climb.

My feeling - is that its the same problem as my own car - the input shaft bearing and or release bearing are gone and need replacement.

Do us a favour...sit in ur car while idleing, in neutral. Put your head/ear close to your gear stick - and slowly push the clutch in.
Does a faint whine go away as u put the clutch in , and come back as u release again ? More info plz !

BlitZ
21-10-2004, 12:22 PM
you sure your not paraniod man

William
21-10-2004, 12:52 PM
possibly parraonoid...thats why i said it might be just the car at the start...but yeah...different to reverse, its only when the car is in go...not in neutral....and with a panel filter...

like i said, its not the sound of air flow....its the engine noise...just has a high pitch noise to it....its more of a hum that is higher pitched as you press it harder....you can hear it go down when you let go of accelerator....press clutch and it drops and goes away

egSi
21-10-2004, 06:12 PM
its not your girlfriend? lol

sivic
21-10-2004, 07:16 PM
have you taken out the resinator pipe before the airbox cos that can cause it. it doesnt sound like air, although it is- sounds like someone whistling/ or turbo spool.

Phii
21-10-2004, 07:28 PM
yea i get the same noise..sounds lyk its from the airvent or somewhere on the passehger side..i duno wat it is asweOz..but i asked a few otha ppl with civics n dey said its jus your cold air intake..wouldnt worry about it too much

ECU-MAN
21-10-2004, 08:22 PM
rev related whine could come from the timming belt ( if its to tight, was it replaced recently ) but hum is more bearing, thrust bearing only tends to make noise when your foot is on the clutch, but like Ben say's, Input Shaft bearing, as it seems rev related not speed related.

is it always there, and does the noise change sound with engine load ?

William
21-10-2004, 10:17 PM
i have a perfect description of the sound.......its the sound of a jet fighter. how it winds up in the turbines or something.....and as i said it goes up in pitch as you rev harder...its all relative to the engine noise

crxzzR
22-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Check the earthing from ur sound system. I got the same whining, i know its the sound system but i just havent had the time to fix that up yet. make sure the grounding isn't on rust or anything, should be a clean part of the car's body frame. if that still doesn't do the job, then try an earthing kit, make one or buy one..

chunsa
22-10-2004, 12:31 AM
i also get that sound too O.o

its like a whiny sound after like 5000 rpms..

i dunno if its the same with manual but i drive auto and it only happens wen i accelerate pass 5000 revs.. noise just pops in..

i dunno if its a good thing or not but i like that sound :confused:

K3NstyL
22-10-2004, 02:56 PM
That would be the auto box chunsa

BLK220
22-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Could be the camshaft whine???

William
22-10-2004, 11:29 PM
whats stupid right? i went to homebush honda lark hoskin service for a warranty repair
to check up for 3 problems

1. rocky seat - they said it didnt rock enough to vouch for a warranty claim (WTF?)
2. whiny noise when reving high - they said....its the k&n air filter i have (i said i changed it to the original and it sounds the same)
3. when clutch is not pressed (cricket chirp noise sounds happen) - they said....they didnt hear anything

basically they didnt do ANY warranty claims i wanted! what a rip off! STUPID DEALERSHIPS! THEY DONT FIX ANYTHING UNLESS THEY GET PAID FOR IT! AND BRUSH OFF WARRANTY ISSUES!

piss me off !

anybody have any comments or suggestions on what to do??

im gonna go to another dealership and try again

ECU-MAN
23-10-2004, 01:30 AM
whats stupid right? i went to homebush honda lark hoskin service for a warranty repair
to check up for 3 problems

1. rocky seat - they said it didnt rock enough to vouch for a warranty claim (WTF?)
2. whiny noise when reving high - they said....its the k&n air filter i have (i said i changed it to the original and it sounds the same)
3. when clutch is not pressed (cricket chirp noise sounds happen) - they said....they didnt hear anything

basically they didnt do ANY warranty claims i wanted! what a rip off! STUPID DEALERSHIPS! THEY DONT FIX ANYTHING UNLESS THEY GET PAID FOR IT! AND BRUSH OFF WARRANTY ISSUES!

piss me off !

anybody have any comments or suggestions on what to do??

im gonna go to another dealership and try again

yeah go to another dealership, they still ,make money from warranty jobs, its just some places can be ****s about warranty jobs,

fusion_VTi
23-10-2004, 09:55 AM
yeah my car makes the same noise above about 4k, dont think its anyting bad though..

-MuGen PoWer-
05-12-2004, 12:25 AM
how much is it to replace the input shaft bearing and or release bearing. i have a whinning noise problem. its wen im in gear 3 and above at low revs and i tap the accelerator.
What problem can this be?? gearbox? cause i can hear the noise coming from the engine

Mugen_B16B
05-12-2004, 01:51 PM
i reckon its probably u got an amp installed into ur car thats making the car alternator run more louder or just ur exhaust cause my friends car akes that sound when he just put his exhaust on probably not enough air flow

SPEEDCORE
05-12-2004, 02:10 PM
This thread is hell interesting cause in the G/Fs EK4, there is no whine at all.

However lets say I take it to redline in 1'st 2nd 3rd..... you know the usual driving hard and let go of the gas and coast.... as the revs drop to 5500 and as soon as it hits 5500 and keeps dropping... there is like a (I'm embarrased to say this :o but.....) it actually sounds like a BOV/slowing down whoosing sound that last for about 1-2 secs dependant on how quickly the revs are decelerating.

The sound is only audible from within the cabin and the G/F has confirmed she hears this sound also.

I do not have a clue what is producing this sound but my theory is it has something to do with the oil pressure dropping in the components that engage high and low cam.

There is no such sound at any other point in the rev range, and only happens as I let the car coast back out of the 5500 rpm crossover.

Any thoughts?

Johnmiceter
05-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I haven't really read all of this, but clicked on it becuase I am going to get one soon and was interested about it.

And I know this might sound stupid, but why don't you just get it checked out. Isn't it free at some Mechanics to get a car checked out to see what the problem is first ?

civiceg9
05-12-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a whinning noise when my engine is under load. If seems to be coming somewhere from the trottle or somewhere around there.