PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions about EM1 Coupe

totti
09-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi guys

i have searched and couldn't find what i was after

1. Will OEM DC2R Air Box and Intake Arm bolt onto EM1 with b16a?

2. Will Mugen Intake for EK9 bolt onto EM1?

3. What are the better options intake wise for an EM1? Injen? Comptech? J's Racing?

4. Will EK4/9 Hatch Cat back exhaust fit EM1 Coupe without modifications?

I dont want to spend over $500 so i'd prefer good value for money

thanks for any input
steve

JDM EM1
09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
yes im pretty sure EK9 mugen intake will straight bolt onto EM1
im using injen on my EM1, its great!

OMG.JAI xD
09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
1. Yes, If it came off a dc2r with ABS.
2. Yes, Same setup as the dc2r.
3.Really. and intake is just an intake. 5-10hp difference. All depends on design for flow.
4. No. Hatch has a shorter length than the coupe. Its like saying, a hatch exhaust will fit sedan.

To be general.
The ek9 and dc2r is basically the same engine. (exterior wise)
I think the head is different too though. But the setup of the intake is in the same position.
To question No. 1. Im not too sure, im only saying as a predicted guess.

But an ek9 and em1 has the same front end.
Just cant compare hatches with sedan/coupes

Encor3
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi guys

1. Will OEM DC2R Air Box and Intake Arm bolt onto EM1 with b16a?

2. Will Mugen Intake for EK9 bolt onto EM1?

3. What are the better options intake wise for an EM1? Injen? Comptech? J's Racing?

4. Will EK4/9 Hatch Cat back exhaust fit EM1 Coupe without modifications?

I dont want to spend over $500 so i'd prefer good value for money

thanks for any input
steve

1. DC2R intake arm will fit but not the whole airbox config.
2. Mugen EK9 intake is made for B16s so yes it will fit into EM1. It is different to the DC2R Mugen intake.
3. Depends what you plan to do, if your going to open the engine to do internal work a shorter length will probably be better for you then a longer length intake.
4. EK Hatch wont fit EM1, But its only the midpipe that needs modification, any exhaust shop will be able to make it fit with ease.

1. Yes, If it came off a dc2r with ABS.
2. Yes, Same setup as the dc2r.
3.Really. and intake is just an intake. 5-10hp difference. All depends on design for flow.
4. No. Hatch has a shorter length than the coupe. Its like saying, a hatch exhaust will fit sedan.

To be general.
The ek9 and dc2r is basically the same engine. (exterior wise)
I think the head is different too though. But the setup of the intake is in the same position.
To question No. 1. Im not too sure, im only saying as a predicted guess.

But an ek9 and em1 has the same front end.
Just cant compare hatches with sedan/coupes
Might need to double check some things esp 1. and 2.

The heads are all similar, main difference is with Vti-R integras as the plenum is different hence different intake position.

Only facelifted EK9's and EM1s have the same front end. The ones from 96-98 are diff

Sedan and coupe's share the same front and rear bumpers (as long as they are the same year.

OMG.JAI xD
09-02-2009, 08:11 PM
1. DC2R intake arm will fit but not the whole airbox config.
2. Mugen EK9 intake is made for B16s so yes it will fit into EM1. It is different to the DC2R Mugen intake.
3. Depends what you plan to do, if your going to open the engine to do internal work a shorter length will probably be better for you then a longer length intake.
4. EK Hatch wont fit EM1, But its only the midpipe that needs modification, any exhaust shop will be able to make it fit with ease.

Might need to double check some things esp 1. and 2.

The heads are all similar, main difference is with Vti-R integras as the plenum is different hence different intake position.

Only facelifted EK9's and EM1s have the same front end. The ones from 96-98 are diff

Sedan and coupe's share the same front and rear bumpers (as long as they are the same year.

ahh yes thats right. I kinda shortened down my sentences too much. When i said same setup as dc2r i sorta mean both engines are alike.

And as for the ek9 facelift, that got me too -.-" Forgot em1 was only facelift.
But again, the whole engine bay setup is pretty much the same. Only difference is the radiator support (nose cut).

totti
09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
so dc2r airbox is a no go then?

i liked this option due to the enclosed filter...damn it

Encor3
10-02-2009, 07:53 AM
so dc2r airbox is a no go then?

i liked this option due to the enclosed filter...damn it

Yea No go.

you could mod your em1 box to have a filter in it.
the Mugen kit has enclosed filter aswell.
Most people just have an exposed pod or have it sitting in the wheel arches.

EK1.6LCIV
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi guys

1. Will OEM DC2R Air Box and Intake Arm bolt onto EM1 with b16a? Yes, but it is time consuming to do/ have to make up a bracket for the holes to lie up properly, best options is a K&N drop in filter

2. Will Mugen Intake for EK9 bolt onto EM1? Yes, but rare as hens teeth plus I can see getting new elements as being costly for what little they do in the end of the day

3. What are the better options intake wise for an EM1? Injen? Comptech? J's Racing? All mostly bling, Injen design will have ur filter dirty as in no time at all, J's racing will be letting in alot of under bonnet air, Comp tech is a good design but seriously if it's noise you want a cheap ebay intake will do

4. Will EK4/9 Hatch Cat back exhaust fit EM1 Coupe without modifications? Just go to an exhaust shop and get them to make a good cs system for ya, heaps cheaper

I dont want to spend over $500 so i'd prefer good value for money $500 with the av currency rates will have ur budget blown on the intakes alone

Crapdaz
10-02-2009, 11:24 AM
damn you guys know where you can find a cheap 2nd hand EM1?

totti
10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
does anyone know who sells the J's Racing replica whale penis intake?

Encor3
10-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Pm a few traders (not exactly sure who) bout the J's racing replica.
I've got one. But I dont fully agree with EK1.6LCIV, You would only get heat soak in traffic, whilst the car in motion air runs thr the engine bay from the front so yea each to their own. but +1 to him anyway

EK1.6LCIV
11-02-2009, 07:41 AM
does anyone know who sells the J's Racing replica whale penis intake?

ebay for the 'whale penis' heaps of generics around both carbon fibre and plastic styles

my mate also made up a cheap enclosure for the filter on the "WP' out of alum sheets he cut up, pretty easy to do, worthwhile mod to save yourself some defect $

RtN
11-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Injen in mine, does it's job.