PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank rust

WoobiE
09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi, I have a 2006 Accord. We all know it is best to have it serviced every 10,000kms by the Honda Service team. It running for about a year until it had reached the 10k mark and have it sent to be checked up. So I sent it in and everything went smoothly. Two days later the car didn't want to start. So I took it to the Honda Service team and they said there was water in the fuel tank. Ok, so I let them clean it up and paid for it. It is now 2009 and it has been serviced by Honda every 10,000kms. 20k, 30k and just December last year 2008 it was the 40,000km checkup. So I brought it in and once again all fine. 44,000kms and driving it on the 7th Feb 2009, the day with 40+ degrees. The engine malfunction lights come on. Ok so I take it home and book the car in for a checkup. The next day the lights wernt on any more though. But I still brought the car in. Honda said it was water in the fuel tank again. This time there is also rust. The rust is so much that they have to replace the whole tank. I have the choice of getting a brand new tank from Japan or they can suss out a second hand tank, all which cost $1000+. But I think this is not my fault because prior to this I had a Honda Oddyssey and ran it for 6 years and no problem at all. I'm thinking it was a dodgey clean up job when it first got water in the tank. Maybe there was just a little water left over and on the really hot day the water was boiling in the tank and cause the engine malfunction lights to appear.
I want to ask has anybody come across anything like this or any rust in the fuel tank?
Should I pay them for the replacement or should I start complaining?
Also should I get my own replacement parts and do the repair myself? (I got a person who does car repairs and can do it for me.)

FAT VTI
10-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I have a 94 accord and im sure my tank hasn't been replaced and ive never had this problem.

If you have the paper-work from when u actually had this problem fixed either during a service or after it, so long as it says the fixed it you SHOULD DEFINATELY state your claim if nothing else.
I dunno how this problem happens to a 2006 accord with just 40,000kms on it, sounds like they sold/repaired your car dodgy mate.

lukecivic
10-02-2009, 07:29 PM
thats bullshit man! i would of claimed warranty the first time
they will have the service history of your car...well they should.
Take it to head office if you have to. Thats just not right for a new car like that.

OMG.JAI xD
10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Check the petrol station you fill up at.
Might be water contaminated.

Other than that, youll probably have a leak somewhere letting water get into the tank, but youll start smelling fumes.

aaronng
10-02-2009, 08:04 PM
If it is a leak from somewhere in the body of the car getting into the tank, you should be covered under warranty. If your usual petrol station has a underground storage tank in poor condition which is letting water into their pump, then no warranty cover for the problem.

OMG.JAI xD
10-02-2009, 08:13 PM
^^ as above.

But as ive said confirm it with the petrol station.
Cause that can be a lawsuit, if not compensated for damage.