PDA

View Full Version : Tire's Worn unevenly

Frankie
11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Hey Guys
I had a look at my tires yesterday up on the stands and my mechaniced pointed out that my rear tyres are worn out all on one side due to not having a proper toe in and out done to the car. The thing is i took it to jaxx quick fix at haberfield an they done it at 107.000km and now at 110.000km the rear tyres are fu*ed up there completly bald on one side. Iam Apposlutley spewing and angry

Do you reckon that they are liable for the tyres? Should they be replacing the tyres free of charge and fixing the problem for me?

Wats your reckon i should do?

Because I am going to go down there and give them a piece of my mind and get them to fix because i think its there fault.

Cheers

vinnY
11-02-2009, 08:43 AM
did you get an alignment print out when you had it done?
if not you got no evidence against them, you'd just be another person making a scene and they're not gonna give you free pair of tyres just because you're gonna give them a piece of your mind

Frankie
11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
yeh i got a receipt with all the things that they have done to the car also they will have me down on there system

bennjamin
11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
what height did the last mech adjust the suspension to ?
Did u get aligned after ? 3k for that wear is bad toe wear -

Frankie
11-02-2009, 09:34 AM
what height did the last mech adjust the suspension to ?
Did u get aligned after ? 3k for that wear is bad toe wear -

what you mean what height did he adjust it to? i just took it to get alignemnt after he done my suspension, yeh massive toe wear

aaronng
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
What were the toe and camber settings that they put on? Did you get a printout?

Type S Tony
11-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Did you maybe smack a gutter & F- up you alignment that way??

EK1.6LCIV
11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
jaxx that says it all, soo many dodgy tire shops

still have yet to find one that does any actual work, lol

vinnY
11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
you'd be surprised ryan
the jax i go to down here is willing to throw on whatever camber/toe settings i want and they'll do it properly ;)

aaronng
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Jax is a franchise. Some are good, some are not so good.

Frankie
11-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeh they had a print out but the idiots didnt give it to me they just showed me i told them i want my tires straight, No i didnt hit no gutter lol. The thing is they adjusted the front good but they adjusted the rears and made it worse if they would of left it would of been better they didnt touch the camebr they touch toe in and out adn stuffed it up

I want my tires to sit properly i dont want uneven wear what will the settings for camber be for front and rear

Paul1985
11-02-2009, 11:29 AM

I'm with you. I'm yet to find a place that does a proper job.
Not saying they aren't out there. Seems to be more bad than good in my experience though.

Wish i could use there equipment and do my own alignment/tyre swaps.

With that said, it sounds like the alignment was done incorrectly if at all.

I've heard of tyre places loosening both tie-rod ends, twisting them both to get the screen reading spot on. Then hitting print, afterwards just tighten the rods back up. So dodgy. That doesn't align the wheels correctly.

As others have said, do you have a print-out. If you do and the print-outs in spec, good luck. Go give them a serve anyway. Hopefully if they are slacking off you going in there telling them will with any luck get them into gear (I doubt it would). That is unless it was just an honest mistake and if so they may be able to sort something out with you.

Type S Tony
11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeh they had a print out but the idiots didnt give it to me they just showed me i told them i want my tires straight, No i didnt hit no gutter lol. The thing is they adjusted the front good but they adjusted the rears and made it worse if they would of left it would of been better they didnt touch the camebr they touch toe in and out adn stuffed it up

I want my tires to sit properly i dont want uneven wear what will the settings for camber be for front and rear

Its up to the individual to set the camber as different tires sit differently on the road

Frankie
11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
okay. well i hope they fix this problem for me and dont have to pay for any new tyres. got to go in one afternoon asap and get it done

Paul1985
11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
You cannot adjust camber on the EK.
That is unless he has a camber kit which is unlikely.

If the camber is the cause of the wear then the OP will just have to deal with it or get a camber kit.

kriZy
11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Frankie,

let us know what happens with this issue. I'm very interested to know.

Also i keep hearing about camber kit, my EK4 came with TEIN HA's, would they put a camber kit in?

Also does it make a big diff? cause I have no idea what it is. Mate is telling me that there is no point getting a wheel alignment if you have no Camber kit. Well my steering isnt sitting straight and is slanting to the right to keep the car straight.

how much for camber kit? CHEERS! :D

Frankie
11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Frankie,

let us know what happens with this issue. I'm very interested to know.

Also i keep hearing about camber kit, my EK4 came with TEIN HA's, would they put a camber kit in?

Also does it make a big diff? cause I have no idea what it is. Mate is telling me that there is no point getting a wheel alignment if you have no Camber kit. Well my steering isnt sitting straight and is slanting to the right to keep the car straight.

how much for camber kit? CHEERS! :D

i Have a camber kit on it i reckon you should put it on if you lowering your car if not you will get uneven tire wear, you need a wheel alignment for sure, thats very important. but you need tot ake it soemwhere they know what there doing

Camber isnt the cause its the toe in and out they fu*ed up wheel alginment is stuffed.

I will let you guys know how i go they will probaly start spinin shit to me about why it is worn out

vinnY
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
seems with ek's the more you dump it, the more negative camber you will get
just the design of double wishbone suspensions i'm assuming?
wheel alignments aren't useless because you have no camber kit, i'm pretty sure majority of the cars on the road today do not have adjustable camber

camber kits front/rear are about $4-500 depending on what kit you get i suppose
running a buddyclub kit on my ek front and rear, does the job

johnn
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone know where to get camber kits installed? Around Sydney

aaronng
11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Anyone know where to get camber kits installed? Around Sydney

Any decent workshop can do it. You still have to bring it to a tyre place after installation to get it aligned. Make sure you tell the tyre shop that you have a rear camber kit when you book your car in.

Frankie
12-02-2009, 07:55 AM
i know a top place that do it but you will be paying almost as much as your camber its called bilstien there at Sydenham http://www.bilstein.com.au/ thats there site

kriZy
12-02-2009, 08:15 AM
How about ACE tyres in Smithfield?

btw im getting my alignment done there.
as for the camber kits.. man i'll leave that till later.

Frankie
12-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Update guy i took the cars back to jaxxs and there going to fix it for me, got to go in tomorrow

kriZy
12-02-2009, 08:37 AM
fix it for you as in
replace your tyres?

Frankie
12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
yeah there going to replace them and do the alignment again. they didnt try and fight against what i was saying just took it and agreed with me

Gio
12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
This has happened to my 2 front tires too.

How low is your car?

Is this from the TOE or would a camber kit fix this?

Frankie
12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
camber is straight it was from the toe. take it bakc to where u got it done but if u lower it after the wheel alignment than its ur fault

Gio
12-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I shall get an alignment since that seems to fix it, i guess a camber kit is for ultra low ek's

Frankie
12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
its for anythin lower than stock

Gio
12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Are you lower then stock?

Frankie
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
yeh lik 2inch

kriZy
12-02-2009, 10:10 AM
i think you wont need camber kit unless your going super super low

should be ok without them.

bennjamin
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
yeah there going to replace them and do the alignment again. they didnt try and fight against what i was saying just took it and agreed with me

thats good news. Camber wont wear tyres as quickly as a bad alignment (ie bad TOE)

Gio
12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Sounds like the same as me.

What should the front TOE be set at?

Frankie
12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
straight to not wear out unevely lol not sure exact setting

bennjamin
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM
as close to 0 degrees left and right.
some excessive lowering will prevent getting 0 , but you should aim as close as possible :)

Gio
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Even running aftermarket wheels +37?

bennjamin
12-02-2009, 10:29 AM
ill let the suspension masters answer that in depth - but tyre width or offset should have no relevance to toe settings.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/ss/def_toe-in.htm

The purpose of toe is to ensure that the wheels roll parallel. Toe also serves to offset the small deflections of the wheel support system that occur when the vehicle is rolling forward. In other words, with the vehicle standing still and the wheels set with toe-in, the wheels tend to roll parallel on the road when the vehicle is moving. Improper toe adjustment will cause premature tire wear and cause steering instability.

Frankie
12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
ill let the suspension masters answer that in depth - but tyre width or offset should have no relevance to toe settings.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/ss/def_toe-in.htm

thanks for that info lol.

jdmEG5
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
usually if u lowered ur car, all 4 wheels go on an angle, u can say they have a chamber.
If the rear wheels are on an angle, inner tyre will get worn out first. and so wud the front.
this is IF you lowered ur car, coz its happening to my EG

Frankie
12-02-2009, 04:41 PM
yeh thats why i took it to jaxx to stop that and they fukd it lol

Frankie
13-02-2009, 09:15 AM
bad news i took it to jaxx and they arnt going to change my tires for nothing already had to pay but havent payed all of it yet...
Reason i have to is because my busehes are cracked and they said becasue your bushes have an air line crack we are not liable for the alignment and tire wear is this true????? it's only cracked underneath the Rear Suspension Bushing???

aaronng
13-02-2009, 09:32 AM
If you don't have the printout from the last alignment, I can't tell if the wear was caused by incorrect alignment or by the cracked bushing.

kriZy
13-02-2009, 09:32 AM
but they should of checked that when they were doing the alignment + tell you if its cracked so that you don't need to come back to them in the first place. What if they cracked it?

They should have seen it before they started on any work.

aaronng
13-02-2009, 09:39 AM
but they should of checked that when they were doing the alignment + tell you if its cracked so that you don't need to come back to them in the first place. What if they cracked it?

They should have seen it before they started on any work.

Unless you went there asking for and paid for a suspension check, they would not have checked your bushings.

Frankie
13-02-2009, 09:39 AM
yeh i told him didnt you see if there was crack there last time. but i know one thing iam not fukin going bak to that jaxx again i do not recommend anyone else, also the guy didnt even give the tyre to me cheaper i have one of those 500dollar voucher book but i forgot with me and i told him i got that book but not on me and it has 10percent of new tyre purchase and he didnt even do that for me,

aaronng
13-02-2009, 09:52 AM
If you were being charged full price for new tyres, I would have gone to a different shop. Good tyre shops are not easy to find. That's why when I find one, I stick to it. Even if the tyre price is more expensive than the cheapest place, I'd still use them because of great service and that they know how to align my front and rear without stuffing it up.

Frankie
13-02-2009, 09:55 AM
yeh well when i go back to them to pay the rest iam going to tell them not to fukin touch my car because they said when u get that bushin fix we will do the alignment i dont understand why they couldnt just do it now than see if it gets out of wack when i take it back.
But i not goign there again fuk them

Gio
13-02-2009, 10:05 AM
A lot of franchises are bad. Period.

Frankie
13-02-2009, 10:16 AM
yeh i agree with you

kriZy
13-02-2009, 02:29 PM
bl frankie j

Frankie
13-02-2009, 04:40 PM
bl frankie j

what ??? lol

Frankie
19-02-2009, 02:03 PM
ay guys i took ym car another tire place to cehck my bushing and they have a few cracks but the not busted. and the wheel alignment is fine so i dont know what it is neiither does the tire shop, they said just to chaneg the bushings