PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Coilovers

immigymp
11-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Has anyone had problems with finding a place who will actually tune coilovers? in terms of height, toe, camber etc. Only people i can find are a fulcrum dealership.

kriZy
11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Do wheel alignment places tune coilovers?
also what is the process of tuning coilovers?

IEVAQ8
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
r u guys serious???????

set them to ur desired height.......

and then take your car to a place who does wheel alignment.

then to adjust damper it depends how u like it and it wont affect the alignment

immigymp
11-02-2009, 01:04 PM
r u guys serious???????

umm yes, hence why the question, alot of places on the sunshine coast do not do coilovers, i have been turned away and another mate has tried to get his done and they could not do it but instead told him what camber etc it currently has and it really does need to be tuned...ok?

ek4-guy
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
try barnes performance at nambour i'm not sure if he does alignment but he has been racing cars for 30 years and he has corner scales and can set up your coilovers to balance your car

he should also be able to point you in the direction of a good wheel alignment place

just tell him Darryl recomended him and he will look after you

cupnoodle
11-02-2009, 01:52 PM
To my understanding, I thought you can adjust the height/damper settings yourself?

I heart the SSS
11-02-2009, 02:01 PM
To my understanding, I thought you can adjust the height/damper settings yourself?

Yeah, it's like painting a picture.

You can paint one, but it'll probably be crap.

Or you pay to have one painted.

If you are a noob with this shit, maybe get some help, and then once you understand the concept of adjustable damper and height suspension, tune it from there.

It's good to have a starting setting to tune from to your liking.

JasonGilholme
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
r u guys serious???????

this is just scratching the surface of tuning coilovers

Those things are just apart of installation.

If you setup your coilovers properly you also take into account things such as preloading the coilovers, roll centers and corner weighting.

setting the height and damper is easy but theres such a thing as too low and too stiff which alot of people on here don't know.

I've ridden in too many honda's that are too low and too stiff to the point we're the car is unsafe to drive, even on the streets. wouldn't wanna go with them on the track at all.

a properly set up car is much easier to drive quickly. it also doesn't wear out other components quicker.

cupnoodle
11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, it's like painting a picture.

You can paint one, but it'll probably be crap.

Or you pay to have one painted.

If you are a noob with this shit, maybe get some help, and then once you understand the concept of adjustable damper and height suspension, tune it from there.

It's good to have a starting setting to tune from to your liking.

Damn! I thought it was as easy as turning a knob.

I heart the SSS
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
It is as easy as that, and you also use a c spanner which is easy lol.

I personally would do some reasearch as to what settings people use with the same coilover as you.

Maybe try their settings, and then go from there. It costs you 0.

R&D FTW

IEVAQ8
11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
this is just scratching the surface of tuning coilovers

Those things are just apart of installation.

If you setup your coilovers properly you also take into account things such as preloading the coilovers, roll centers and corner weighting.

setting the height and damper is easy but theres such a thing as too low and too stiff which alot of people on here don't know.

I've ridden in too many honda's that are too low and too stiff to the point we're the car is unsafe to drive, even on the streets. wouldn't wanna go with them on the track at all.

a properly set up car is much easier to drive quickly. it also doesn't wear out other components quicker.

thats a good point, but for basic tunning, its more what u prefer and how ur car handels.........if people make there cars unsafe, thats another issue all together........

and most shops wont make adjustments and charge you with a receipt for coilovers, because of the fact that coilovers can be adjusted to make them unsafe like u mentioned and no shop wants that liability...........

an93l
12-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Go to wheel alignment/tyres/suspension and mufflers stores they can do for you. Try like powertyres, blairs tyres and other stores they can set up for you i did mine there.

Well setting the height isnt too much for them anyways and damper settings basically you can set it yourself. You dont have to go under the car or anything just pop up your bonnet and turn the little thingo sticking out.

string
15-02-2009, 12:29 PM
You're never going to be able to adjust (or even drive) your modified suspension properly unless you understand each part's purpose. Then it's simply a matter of taking it out on a highway and slowly adjusting each corner until it does exactly what you want.

Red_EG4
15-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Has anyone had problems with finding a place who will actually tune coilovers? in terms of height, toe, camber etc. Only people i can find are a fulcrum dealership.

from my experiences Fulcrum dealerships are very 'in the know' when it comes to coilovers. Do you not want to use the fulcrum dealer?

nigs
17-02-2009, 06:25 PM
$$$$$$$$$

$800 to install some springs. LULZ

STiR
20-02-2009, 10:17 AM
In my opinion, if you've spent the money for coilovers and good suspension components you want you car to handle well. It's well worth it to get the car corner balanced/corner weighed on scales so that the weights L/R and F/R can be as close as possible to equal. It makes a difference for sure. You'll find a 'normally' set up car can pull good Gs going right, and much less going left. I remember reading a sportcarcompact article on their EG and they had this issue. Get it set up properly and get a good performance alignment to match and enjoy