PDA

View Full Version : help needed: dc2 clutch fluid change

kenshin
21-10-2004, 06:45 PM
just wondering if anyone can give me tips/advice n best way to go about changing my clutch fluid...
was advised that the fluid should be the same colour as my brake fluid... well its heaps darker... therefore seems like the right time to do it...

any tutorial on the net?

wynode
21-10-2004, 08:17 PM
It's pretty much the same as changing your brake fluid.

You follow these steps at your own risk and neither myself nor Ozhonda take responsibility for carrying out the following:

1. Remove the dust cover on the slave cylinder nipple (The slave cylinder is located in front of the radiator when standing in front of the engine. Usually just under where your engine number is stamped)
2. Attach some clear piping to the end of the nipple and put the other end into a bottle
3. Open up the clutch fluid resevoir
4. Use a spanner to loosen the nut on the slave cylinder (just behind where you attached the clear piping)
5. Ask a friend to jump into the car and pump the clutch pedal.
6. You will notice the fluid in the resevoir dropping and as it drops, just top it up with new fluid.
7. Keep adding fliud/pumping the clutch pedal till you see the new fluid start to come out of the clear pipe.
8. Once this is done, tighten up the slave cylinder nipple, put the lid on the reservoir and remove the piping.

All done :)

kenshin
16-12-2004, 06:37 PM
when you're pumping the clutch ... is it sposed to pop in and you have to pull it back out wynode?...
or is it sposed to give you pedal feedback straight away?

ECU-MAN
16-12-2004, 08:52 PM
you have to pull it back your self,

kenshin
16-12-2004, 09:18 PM
therefore pumping must be done with the arm?
how fast should we be pumping it...

and now that i've got air in the system... whats the best method of getting rid of them...
just redo the above steps?...

appreciate all the advice given so far

ECU-MAN
16-12-2004, 09:27 PM
yep,
I do it with the foot, you can put your foot behind the pedal and lift it up.

what I do is

push da pedal down then open the nipple. close it . then lift the pedal, and repeat till all air is gone and or pedal feals fine.

kenshin
16-12-2004, 09:34 PM
so its really a slow process?... ppl say 'pump the clutch pedal' and i always thought it was go up and down like crazy
feels fine = matter of personal preference... or when its stiff ?...
how do you know all the air is gone?

i wanna learn how to do it properly so im not blowing money in the future on labour for easy jobs ;)

wynode
16-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Don't let the fluid in the reservoir go to low and you won't get air in there (also wath the bleed nipple)

A helper will significantly reduce the time it takes :)

ECU-MAN
16-12-2004, 10:18 PM
i like to open the nipple when the pedal has been pushed down, not open then push down. as the 1st way you get more presuure build up and better chance of a better result.

kenshin
17-12-2004, 11:31 PM
ecu man... we got problems...
openned valve nothings coming out...
will post pic soon

kenshin
17-12-2004, 11:37 PM
http://www.picsplace.to/045152/line.JPG

valve is halfway out... and still no fluid coming out...

kenshin
18-12-2004, 12:02 AM
ok
we undid the first bolt on the left ...
blue liquids coming out????
df

Sp3rMz
18-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Word of advice for all new DIY goers. 1st don't get two people together that doesn't know what they're doing to touch the car. Blind leading the blind. 2nd If you decided to DIY, please make sure you have the right set of tools. Inconclusion do it properly the first time and book it into service. :p

Sp3rMz
18-12-2004, 04:38 AM
Please refrain from using racial jokes, as it may offend others.

-Tien

ECU-MAN
18-12-2004, 10:35 PM
your bleed nipple may be blocked. if the clutch pedal is depressed and you open the valve, does the pedal bouce back or stay down. ???

if the bleen nipple is blocked , you have to remove it and also block the hole left behind and unblock the nipple before you can continue. dont touch it if your not confident.

Sp3rMz
18-12-2004, 10:51 PM
ok
df
Only logical explanation for the blue fluid is, you did not bleed the fluid properly or completely and you had left over old fluid.

Sp3rMz
18-12-2004, 10:52 PM
http://www.picsplace.to/045152/line.JPG

valve is halfway out... and still no fluid coming out...
No your bolt is not half way out, it hasn't even moved. :p

kenshin
19-12-2004, 09:11 AM
*still wonders what that blue liquid was

wynode
19-12-2004, 12:52 PM
ok
df
Take a pic

kenshin
19-12-2004, 05:09 PM
cant... poured out the liquid
it came from that thin metal wire as shown in the pic... think you can see the residue left

Sp3rMz
19-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Yeah that dark residue on the thing pipe is acutally dark blue.

kenshin
19-12-2004, 05:25 PM
it was like neon blue... thats how bright it was... (of course there was some black dirt) but it was clearly bluely liquid