PDA

View Full Version : EG Civic Carbon Fibre Hatch

Sexc86
13-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey guys,

Basically a few questions in regards to the carbon fibre hatch available for the Eg Civic hatch.

* how much weight do you loose (standard hatch weight vs carbon hatch weight)... similar weight gain from changeing to a carbon bonnet?
* Do you loose anything (Key lock, reverse lights)
* Easy to put back on the standard paneling/apulstry, and the 2 cables that hold the hatch firm once on opening?
* Is it as strong as the factory metal one?
* complete made from Carbon fibre or a mixture or Metal/fibreglass/carbon fibre.

Thanks in advance

Regards Lyle

thebob
13-02-2009, 06:58 PM
You get what you pay for lyle. Pay alot and get one very close to OEM. As far as i know they dont have number plate light holes. In my case i saved 3 KGs swapping trunks BUT the quality of mine is poor so i painted it, also fitment isnt perfect and i had to cut holes for everything.

Sexc86
13-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Sure thing, how many kgs on agerage would you save from swapping a bonnet (aprox).. we looking at more / less

thebob
13-02-2009, 08:35 PM
All depends man, Dry carbon is lighter then wet. Then it comes down to what the skeleton is made of and how thick the CF is.

bennjamin
13-02-2009, 10:40 PM
just a note any carbon fibre or composite material will NOT act well in an impact situation. It will literally shatter.
If you are after JUST weight reduction id look at a fibreglass shell molded from your original panel , then use plastic ribs and then just paint it to look OEM
These materials are strong but can only take shearing forces.

Red_EG4
14-02-2009, 03:45 PM
just a note any carbon fibre or composite material will NOT act well in an impact situation. It will literally shatter.
If you are after JUST weight reduction id look at a fibreglass shell molded from your original panel , then use plastic ribs and then just paint it to look OEM
These materials are strong but can only take shearing forces.

using a hybrid of Kevlar and CF helps with impact capabilities, however I don't think many manufacturers use it.

JasonGilholme
14-02-2009, 03:57 PM
lyle is this for that hatch back of yours?

thebob
14-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah but kelvar carbon boots = big dollars. If its just for track, run without trunk. Just make up a big sheet of plexi glass. haha.

hisoka
14-02-2009, 07:50 PM
is the car going to be used on road or track. or occasional track.

not worth the attention and the money imo if its road and basic track car. i beleive same thing for bonnet. most people do it for the wank factor~