PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with this shit

SeeMeRollin'
13-02-2009, 06:55 PM
:wave:

Yo whats poppin' my accord lovin brothers.

I had the starter motor in my cd5 replaced 2 months ago because it was acting up and refusing to kick over on occasion.

Shit was fine until today...I jump in after work and turn the key...*BrrOOoM* it fires up just like it always does then bam...revs drop to 0, it just dies.

If I turn the key all the way and hold it at the kick over point it stays running, but I can hear the starter motor doing the "weeeee" thing it does when its doing its thing....as soon as I let the key drop back and disengage the starter....bam....it dies.

WHAT! I've got the shits. I couldn't try a clutch start because I was on my own in an inappropriate area for clutch starts. Damn boi what would be your next step?!

xcwizit
14-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Did you get the car home in the end at least? Jump starting it

JohnL
14-02-2009, 09:18 AM
It's most probably the ignition switch. Not the bit you put the key in (i.e. not the barrel), but the bit behind that which contains the actual electrical contacts. It looks like a short white plastic cylinder with wires attached. A known failure point after many many starts.

j.meng87
14-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Like JohnL said its the ignition switch. Happen to me a few months back. It cost about 100 to get a new one from honda. Very easy to fix but you might need to drill out the old screw as they are security screws.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
14-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Ignition switch.

Hold it in the spot where it runs and you can drive it home (save you from paying for a Towie) If you need a towie though i can help ya

JohnL
15-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Ignition switch.

Hold it in the spot where it runs and you can drive it home (save you from paying for a Towie) If you need a towie though i can help ya

If "the spot" happens to be 'start' then the starter motor will be running the whole time you're driving the car (and being forced to turn at much higher rpm than it's designed to do). Not recommended other than as an emergency measure for driving a relatively short distance.

SeeMeRollin'
15-02-2009, 01:51 PM
If "the spot" happens to be 'start' then the starter motor will be running the whole time you're driving the car (and being forced to turn at much higher rpm than it's designed to do). Not recommended other than as an emergency measure for driving a relatively short distance.

Yeah I thought as much, good advice thanks JohnL. :3

Cool thanks everyone, I won't be able to clutch start it if those connections are faulty huh? Looks like I'll need a towie.

Thanks for the offer SHOGUN but I've got some free tow K's with NRMA I'll use them.

Whats a good auto-elec on the north shore I can hit up? These guys are nice and close to me....http://www.sparksautoelectrical.com.au/

SHOGUNOVDDRK
15-02-2009, 01:53 PM
No you can't clutch start it unless you hold it into the on position and CONTINUE to hold it there while driving (which is a bitch. i've done it)