PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding coilovers for DC5R

TYP32
13-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey guys, within the next month my JDM DC5R is in need of gettin the whole set of HKS Hipermax coilovers rebuilt. As im Brisbane based, im aware of TSR (the shockabsorber reconditioners) as a company that can help me out. I have had a quote from them, which is steep, but due to the cost of the Hipermax's and the rareness of them in AUS, it is still an avenue i will take if neccessary. I have talked to guys like Fulcrum and they wont touch the HKS due to their TEIN contract....

What id like to know is, does anyone have any other ideas of places/suspension mobs that i can call up for quotes on this..

Cheers..

45SET
14-02-2009, 10:28 AM
How much have you been quoted to get them rebuilt?

If its anywhere over $1500, you'd probably better off getting new coilovers.

7ypeR
14-02-2009, 11:14 AM
From what I remember, reconditioning each coilover will be in the vicinity of about $200 each?? TSR is the only people i know that do good quality work (from what i've been told from friends who've used them) so i'd probably stick with them. Unless your replacing the springs aswell, it shouldn't be over $1000. Also if your getting them to remove them out of the car then it will also be expensive cos of the labour.

45SET
14-02-2009, 03:55 PM
As your car is JDM, do you use the same coilovers as AUDM?

TYP32
14-02-2009, 04:58 PM
How much have you been quoted to get them rebuilt?

If its anywhere over $1500, you'd probably better off getting new coilovers.

Yea not a bad guess mate, its ballpark.... However seing as they are HKS Hipermax, and i cant think of many people that would even have them over here, i figure ill keep em. Muhammed at TSR has told me what is involved and that they will end up better/stronger then new...

From what I remember, reconditioning each coilover will be in the vicinity of about $200 each?? TSR is the only people i know that do good quality work (from what i've been told from friends who've used them) so i'd probably stick with them. Unless your replacing the springs aswell, it shouldn't be over $1000. Also if your getting them to remove them out of the car then it will also be expensive cos of the labour.

It is alot more then $200/coilover unfortunately.. I am only haveing issues with the front 2, however seeing as the car will be off my hands for the 10 working days it takes to hard-chrome the coilovers, i'll get the rears reconditioned at the same time...

As your car is JDM, do you use the same coilovers as AUDM?

My guess would be yes. Muhammed stated that the HKS Hipermax are different then the standard coilover tho, saying they were an upsidedown coilover.

V73C
16-02-2009, 11:12 AM
there's a place in slackscreek (south side) forgot what its called again, im sure it was on the same road as team jet speed, they quoted me $250 for each coilovers

7ypeR
20-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Do TSR offer a warranty if they rebuild them? The thing with the Hipermax coilovers is that they're prone to break alot. Unless they're the Hipermax 2's (which have been refined in design), then i guess it may be a continuing problem which may require regular servicing (ie reconditioning). This is the same case as Zeal suspension which is recommended to be overhauled every 10k - 15k klms but they are designed extremely well so it is almost not necessary. Hope that helps man.

TYP32
20-02-2009, 08:58 PM
there's a place in slackscreek (south side) forgot what its called again, im sure it was on the same road as team jet speed, they quoted me $250 for each coilovers
Yea you could also be thinkin of TSR mate, they are in Aranda St Slacks Creek..

Do TSR offer a warranty if they rebuild them? The thing with the Hipermax coilovers is that they're prone to break alot. Unless they're the Hipermax 2's (which have been refined in design), then i guess it may be a continuing problem which may require regular servicing (ie reconditioning). This is the same case as Zeal suspension which is recommended to be overhauled every 10k - 15k klms but they are designed extremely well so it is almost not necessary. Hope that helps man.
Appreciate the heads up 7ypeR, yea ill b makin sure i get a warranty on their work. And yea they are Hipermax II's.