PDA

View Full Version : HELP! something weird is going on

trezmoc
14-02-2009, 06:33 PM
so im driving home from work when all of a sudden my deck cuts out, the ABS light turns on on the dash, my car makes weird electric motor sounds from the engine bay, i get a few strong wafts of something like burnt fuel and a high pitched whining sound from the engine bay when i accelerate.

this keeps happening the whole way home... flicking between normal and wat i mentioned above (the smell stopped after a couple minutes tho)

i reset the ecu when i got home and a quick run in (5 minutes) didnt seem to have any problems.

im going 4 a big drive in a sec and im praying it doesnt happen again. any ideas wtf is happening?

aussiemale
14-02-2009, 07:03 PM
What kind is ur car mate ?

aaronng
14-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Problem with the alternator?

Moey.C
14-02-2009, 09:52 PM
the high pitched whining is probably that u blew your earth cable n power cable r running 2 close 2gether .not a serious problem. its got 2 do wif ur system. this could explain the deck cutting out..

abs braking switch however ? ?

and smell may have been from a spark (the blowing of the cable on ur battery)

not 2 sure bout the abs though

trezmoc
15-02-2009, 12:46 PM
What kind is ur car mate ?

dc2 bro

trezmoc
15-02-2009, 12:49 PM
i took a drive last night and the stereo only cut out once. seems to be a little better but not perfect.

i looked at the battery yesterday coz i ran it flat at the drive ins (retard i know) and theres a fair build up of crap on the battery terminals. would this have any affect?

hisoka
15-02-2009, 01:20 PM
your abs light went on.

did you try and check if it was telling truth or not ?

sangyz
18-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Oh, could definitely be the poor connection between the battery terminals. Disconnect the leads, and clean it up. Being an auto electrician, i usually get people coming in saying they have battery issues and that their car doesn't start or the like.
So when i take a look, it looks like a flock of birds just took a shit all over the terminals. Just give it a good clean up, reconnect everything and you should be good to go.

This could also explain your deck cutting out every now and then, due to loose/poor connection. Hope this helps :D

aaronng
18-02-2009, 09:45 AM
If the battery is already not holding charge, start by getting a new battery, clean up the corrosion at the terminals and coat both the battery posts and terminals with dielectric grease or Inox and tighten properly.

Moey.C
18-02-2009, 06:40 PM
aarong wtf is with your cat? ive always wondered wat was up with it