PDA

View Full Version : Type R & S Gearbox problem

Type S Tony
18-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Everyone,

Is it me or do the gearboxes in our cars have a tendancy to be a tad bit slow?? Everytime i go to quickshift 1-2, 2-3 it seems to always grind into gear, at first i thought it was my shifting style but over time and having driven a whole heap of other cars & really refining shift technique it seems to only happen in the teg??

Just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this problem??

45SET
18-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Plenty of threads about it.

It is a common problem with the Type R (1st-2nd) and Type S (2nd-3rd).

There is stiffer bushings that you can buy for the Type S that is mean to fix them problem.

Type S Tony
18-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Sweet, I tried looking for a thread but couldnt find anything! Ill start talking to traders

CRXDEL501
18-02-2009, 11:14 AM
i think i recall seeing something in the integra faq about the type r thread where they compare the dc2r and the dc5r and common problems with the dc5r?

45SET
18-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Sweet, I tried looking for a thread but couldnt find anything! Ill start talking to traders

There is something about it on Clubitr...

Type S Tony
18-02-2009, 11:33 AM
There is something about it on Clubitr...

Cheers, thanks for your help.

bungie77
18-02-2009, 11:43 AM
pretty sure i made a thread about it once i actually had the box in my dc5s replaced under warranty because my problem was so bad...

Type S Tony
18-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Serious?

Man its sooo annoying grinding gears, i feel sorry for the car! gotta get these stiffer bushing happening!

dc4t
18-02-2009, 01:02 PM
type-s has the problem from 1st-2nd as well, not 2nd-3rd.. well at least my one anyway

Type S Tony
18-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Man It happened to me just now, I had to go for a quick drive back to my house to pick up something & i launched it off the lights & CRUNCHHHHHH 2nd, sounded horrible!

TYP32
18-02-2009, 05:33 PM
ya might wanna baby it for a bit Tony untill u get your prob fixed, i wouldnt be launching hard or changing gears abruptly... spoken by someone who has just lost a tooth or 2 off the crown gear... u dont wanna f**k up your gearbox anymore then it is mate. I called around today, no 2nd hand Y2M3 boxes around, and Southside Honda gave me some bullsh*t figure of $5700 before GST for a new box...

Got me pissed off actually, you'd think a box built for TypeR's would be built strong, to handle a bit of power... i've unfortunately found they are as week as piss.

Save yourself the heartache and cash mate, dont push her to hard if its grindin on u already..

05dc5S
18-02-2009, 08:05 PM
i have been very happy with my gearbox - no such problems for 3.5 years.

but then again i've had my car since new so i've taken good care of it.

just remember not to shift fast when cold and a change/flush of gearbox oil helps maintain the slick smooth shift.

if you think the k-series gearbox is bad, try shifting in a 350z lolz

Blulude98
18-02-2009, 10:18 PM
ya might wanna baby it for a bit Tony untill u get your prob fixed, i wouldnt be launching hard or changing gears abruptly... spoken by someone who has just lost a tooth or 2 off the crown gear... u dont wanna f**k up your gearbox anymore then it is mate. I called around today, no 2nd hand Y2M3 boxes around, and Southside Honda gave me some bullsh*t figure of $5700 before GST for a new box...

Got me pissed off actually, you'd think a box built for TypeR's would be built strong, to handle a bit of power... i've unfortunately found they are as week as piss.

Save yourself the heartache and cash mate, dont push her to hard if its grindin on u already..

I guess Honda dont build Type R's like they used too!

Type S Tony
19-02-2009, 08:44 AM

I called around a few weeks ago and found a type R gearbox @ a wrecker at Greenacre, he wanted $1500 but the guy just came across as dodgy. I wanted to buy it and replace it on the S cause of the LSD, but now that i think about it, is it really gonna make that much of a difference on the street??

With every car ive owned i always have a 2nd gearbox spare, im gonna try out replacing the shift linkages and might even do the engine mounts to reduce flex as much as possible, I read before that someone had recomended redline gear oil, So i think with the combination of these 3 things it should put a stop to the grinding, Clutch is due to be replaced in about another 15,000-25,000km

45SET
19-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I found replacing the engine mounts helped quiet a bit. The gearbox bushers is meant to be very good for the Type S also.

DO NOT use redline in the K20 gearbox... Use OEM... and just replace it regularly.

[Type_R]
19-02-2009, 11:26 AM
i have been very happy with my gearbox - no such problems for 3.5 years.

but then again i've had my car since new so i've taken good care of it.

just remember not to shift fast when cold and a change/flush of gearbox oil helps maintain the slick smooth shift.

if you think the k-series gearbox is bad, try shifting in a 350z lolz

350Z worse? i was going to get a Z. I guess i made the right choice?

[Type_R]
19-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I found replacing the engine mounts helped quiet a bit. The gearbox bushers is meant to be very good for the Type S also.

DO NOT use redline in the K20 gearbox... Use OEM... and just replace it regularly.

Anyone know how much it costs for gearbox bushers? supplied and fitted roughly.

Might get it done before mine starts to crunch :eek:

45SET
19-02-2009, 12:32 PM
;2131322']Anyone know how much it costs for gearbox bushers? supplied and fitted roughly.

There is a bush kit from the States... but it only fits the K20z gearbox.

If you get stiffer engine mounts it'll fix the problem fairly well. At the moment I only get it when I'm changing into 2nd whilst turning.

TYP32
19-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I guess Honda dont build Type R's like they used too!

All depends on the power u feed to them to dont u think... huh?

Blulude98
19-02-2009, 10:04 PM
All depends on the power u feed to them to dont u think... huh?

Think what you like mate.....but since you mention power have a look at IEVAQ8 DC2R it makes a sh*t load of power and he has not had any gearbox problems.

burak213
20-02-2009, 08:40 AM
so does this grinding everytime you quickshift into 3rd?

i cant really remember but i dont think this happened to me yet, but i dont really trash the car cos its never driven

Type S Tony
20-02-2009, 08:44 AM
;2131322']Anyone know how much it costs for gearbox bushers? supplied and fitted roughly.

Ill speak to the guy whos supplying me with my ones to see if he has anymore, but i think he accidently came across them cause he thought they were for Type R when in fact their for type S.

so does this grinding everytime you quickshift into 3rd?

i cant really remember but i dont think this happened to me yet, but i dont really trash the car cos its never driven

Grinding happens mostly when going into second whilst engaged in "spirited" driving, but it has happened to me going into 3rd a few times before. dont think the clutch is the problem i just think the motor has alot of play in it.

TYP32
20-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Think what you like mate.....but since you mention power have a look at IEVAQ8 DC2R it makes a sh*t load of power and he has not had any gearbox problems.

Nice point, IEVAQ8 is a very impressive DC2R. Guess i was just really impressed by your constructive "I guess Honda dont build Type R's like they used too!" comment. Nice form :thumbsup:

SuperSteve
21-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Which redline gearbox oil are u referring to because im looking at getting redline MTL gearbox oil because ive read good things about it on clubitr forums.

45SET
21-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Which redline gearbox oil are u referring to because im looking at getting redline MTL gearbox oil because ive read good things about it on clubitr forums.

I use to use the Super light weight engine oil, as that is what the previous owner used.

From what the person said that rebuilt my gearbox, and the people that regularly service my car, the redline oil has little particals in it, that over time bond together. As you can imagine this isn't good for a gearbox.

I have been told by my mechanic (Who use to race a DC5R, and did his apprenticeship through Honda Australia), that Honda gearboxs are very picky when it comes to what oil you use, and to only use the Honda oils.

A friend of mine had to replace his gearbox in his DC2R... guess they aren't all that awesome after.

Seriously... I don't see why you have to argue about why a DC2R is better then a DC5R. This is part of the reason I dislike the Honda scene. Someone always has to be better then the other, thank god the Bris scene has pulled away from this when the fortnightly meets.

YBOOST
21-02-2009, 11:29 AM
when my car had the b18c my 2nd to 3rd would crunch even when i granny shift. now with the k20 i have no problems at all! maybe coz of hasport mounts or the oil that jdm yard put in (castrol syntrax 75-90)

Blulude98
22-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Seriously... I don't see why you have to argue about why a DC2R is better then a DC5R. This is part of the reason I dislike the Honda scene. Someone always has to be better then the other, thank god the Bris scene has pulled away from this when the fortnightly meets.[/QUOTE]

I never said DC2R is better then a DC5R all i said is they dont make Type R's like they used too!

45SET
22-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I never said DC2R is better then a DC5R all i said is they dont make Type R's like they used too!

Same difference... you were being a smart ass and you know it.

CRXDEL501
23-02-2009, 11:20 AM
describe the crunch?

sometimes when i shift can hear it go in or whatever.. but i dont know if thats normal or not.

Type S Tony
23-02-2009, 11:25 AM
the crunch sounds like a crunch, You hear it, the people on the sidewalk hear it, all the glamas at the bus stop hear it, even your relos who live 7 suburbs away hear it. most embarrasing this you can possibly do in your car bar crashing it in the middle of Bay street, brighton le-sands on a friday night!

burak213
23-02-2009, 11:30 AM
thats bad, so bad that i shook my head when i read your post. Whats going to happen now? change the gearbox?

CRXDEL501
23-02-2009, 11:31 AM
mmm maybe mine isnt the same thing, but i was trying to figure out if i had the same thing. ive crunched once.. and boy it hurt. i think im is more a shift noise :S
ive always been paranoid about gearboxes, as i have always had a noise when i have the clutch out, and fixed what was meant to be the issue and still did it.

but id have to agree, its not just the dc5's that have problems. all cars have problems.

Type S Tony
23-02-2009, 11:42 AM
thats bad, so bad that i shook my head when i read your post. Whats going to happen now? change the gearbox?

Bro the Gearbox is fine for now, it just crunches when you wanna quick shift into 2nd & sometimes into 3rd, I ordered replacment bushes which will hopefully fix this with some fresh new oil. might have to do engine mounts but dnt really wanna unless i have to.

If i can find a cheap type R box or something ill buy it to make use of the LSD, probably replace it with a 2way and slap it all in & have a 2nd box Spare.

Type S Tony
23-02-2009, 11:43 AM
mmm maybe mine isnt the same thing, but i was trying to figure out if i had the same thing. ive crunched once.. and boy it hurt. i think im is more a shift noise :S
ive always been paranoid about gearboxes, as i have always had a noise when i have the clutch out, and fixed what was meant to be the issue and still did it.

but id have to agree, its not just the dc5's that have problems. all cars have problems.

To true.

CRXDEL501
23-02-2009, 11:53 AM
yeahhh i want to have one spare as well.
but im pretty sure with the right oils, should be sweet.

engine mounts ay, thats something id like to do too.

45SET
23-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Tony

Get those shifter bushers... from all accounts it'll help a fair but with the problem.

DC2R uses a shift linkage.
DC5R uses cables.

Would be totally differant problem.

CRXDEL501
23-02-2009, 12:09 PM
DC5R uses cables.

i dont think i got a problem, im just paranoid

Type S Tony
23-02-2009, 12:12 PM
ive asked the guy wether he can provide anymore sets of bushes for anyone else who may want a set for their S, well keeep everyone updates.

Type S Tony
26-02-2009, 11:42 AM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Anthony_k20a/2009_0226random0001.jpg

Hey guys, Just recieved the new stiffer bushings for the Type S gearbox, will write up a DIY shortly. still waiting to see if supplier has any more of these for anyone who may be interested.

TYP32
26-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Top stuff, hope they fix your problem Tony. Fill us in on how u went when its all done :thumbsup: Good luck.

agent86
27-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Tony

Get those shifter bushers... from all accounts it'll help a fair but with the problem.

DC5R uses cables.

I came across a link once on the forums about a guys changing his bushes/cables on his DC5, I've tried searching but can't seem to find it again. It was a fairly decent write up with pictures....

Does anyone have it saved as a favourite or know what the thread was called?

typesss
15-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Any updates on this Tony?

My 3rd gear hasn't been cruching for a while now but it still happens every now and then and it hurts me every time....

Type S Tony
15-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Nah sorry Typessss, theyve been sitting in my glovebox for a while now! been to busy with work to pull apart interiors and stuff, just bought a new place also so busy moving at the moment! will keep updated though! need to do it soon!

burak213
15-04-2009, 03:03 PM
i started feeling it crunch into 3rd in my car as well now

Type S Tony
15-04-2009, 03:04 PM
i started feeling it crunch into 3rd in my car as well now

It hurts doesnt it?

burak213
15-04-2009, 03:05 PM
something inside me died when i felt it.

Type S Tony
15-04-2009, 03:08 PM
something inside me died when i felt it.

Its called your Manhood! it dies when you cant shift gears properly along with your gearbox, it all just dies in the ass and your left their thinking were did I go wrong but you cant find answers to your questions so you come onto Oz Honda and its supposed to make it all better

burak213
15-04-2009, 03:15 PM
so what do i do now Dr Phil?

Type S Tony
15-04-2009, 03:21 PM
so what do i do now Dr Phil?

Have Sex......................With a woman, That should make u feel Strong again!

burak213
15-04-2009, 03:35 PM
damn, i been having sex with animals, thats where i been going wrong thanks man!

Type S Tony
15-04-2009, 03:46 PM
damn, i been having sex with animals, thats where i been going wrong thanks man!

Welcome bro, Anytime!

ksl
16-04-2009, 03:11 AM
yes, my car has the same problem, because our car is running a rubber bush, i changed mine to a harder bush, only cost around 85 dollars, and running very smooth now

omgzilla
24-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Any more info on the uprated bushes Tony or ksl?

Where to buy etc?

bungsai
24-05-2009, 05:01 PM
http://forums.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=4813&highlight=shifter+bushings

you guys are a lot of talk and not much action.

Must be the tiger over here.

typesss
25-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey Guys,

I went down to the mechanics over the past weekend and asked them about the crunch. What the mechanic said was that the cause of the problem can be the gear box oil, apparently redline is to thick which is causing the crunch. Hope this helps

Cheers

omgzilla
25-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the link bungsai!

TYP32
25-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Hey Guys,

I went down to the mechanics over the past weekend and asked them about the crunch. What the mechanic said was that the cause of the problem can be the gear box oil, apparently redline is to thick which is causing the crunch. Hope this helps

Cheers

Right on the money there, however that points to their shockproof range. Im curently using Redline MTL full synthetic, its slightly thinner then the OEM Honda oil at 70W80.

Dr.k20z1
25-05-2009, 09:08 PM
ive changed my fluid with the oem mtf 05 and i start my car and let it warm up for abt 5 minutes before driving it just idling and never have gotten a crunch again! works id say!

dc5s
26-05-2009, 11:07 AM
ive changed my fluid with the oem mtf 05 and i start my car and let it warm up for abt 5 minutes before driving it just idling and never have gotten a crunch again! works id say!

I'm going to second that. I did the same on my service, MTF06 Plus and let her warm up and the crunch has disappeared. It does work and no more worrying about crunching when going from 2 > 3 gear :thumbsup:

EL_DC5
26-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I use Royal purple MTF. I highly recommended. Or use the MTF 06 but change every service or 10k, its cheap why not.

after changing to Royal Purple my box had been flawless