PDA

View Full Version : Bringin back to life a car that hasn't been started for a long time.

markCivicVti
18-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi All,

I've got a 99 model ford festiva (unimportant) that for just over a year has not been driven/started/serviced.

Last time I tried to start the car absolutely nothing happened when i turned the key... nothing.. nada.... zilch.

Since I've only got one working car, I was wanting to use the festiva as my "project" car... as in... use it to learn how to do some car stuff.

Since I'm too scared to tinker too much with my own car.. I thought the festiva should be great for learning. I'm guessing parts will be fairly cheap too. I'm happy to "invest" any whatever tools I need to do whatever I need to do to get it up and running again.

Also, I'm afraid the car was already way overdue for a service before I stopped runnnig it over a year ago. So i'm guessing the oil is gluggly by now.

So.. here comes my noob questions.

I figured trying to jump start the car now would probably be a bad idea since no oil would be present where it would need to be (pistons/o-rings?).

What should I do before I try and jump start the car?

Oil + oil filter + spark plugs? anything else?

What can I do to minimize damage on first start up?

Thanks.

onlykillzz
18-02-2009, 11:43 AM
befor you start it crank it over for about 2 min with out the spark plugs in it that way the oil pump can move the oil around befor you start it also you may need new fuel as it have have gone bad.....

TypeS
18-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a dead battery

I would definitely change the oil before starting, and check all the other fluids.

don't forget to check your brakes, in case the discs have become rusted.

JDMWhore
18-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi All,

I've got a 99 model ford festiva (unimportant) that for just over a year has not been driven/started/serviced.

well... it's a ford.........
Sorry can't help you.. its not a Honda :D

NightKids
18-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Get it started then sell it & do an engine swap on your Honda cause VTEC >> all

markCivicVti
18-02-2009, 12:43 PM
well... it's a ford.........
Sorry can't help you.. its not a Honda :D

Well.. it's technically a Kia...

Thanks onlykillzz for the tip on getting the oil to move around a bit.

I've never taken out any spark plugs... so this will be a fun learning experience... I'll try and buy a shop manual for the craptiva. As I'll be slowly fixing it back up... so that the wifey has a car.

Any other suggestions before cranking this car over?

markCivicVti
18-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Get it started then sell it & do an engine swap on your Honda cause VTEC >> all

Engine swap a R-series? To what? lol .. turbo would be cheaper.

But no. The craptiva fix has two purposes..

1.) fix it so the wifey has a cheap car and I can get my bike :P
2.) learn how to do basic car maintenance

b4dnuf
18-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Like stated previously. Crank it so the oil moves around.
Your prob gonna need a new, battery, check the spark plugs, ignition coil,
Make sure there is water/coolant, oil, prob put fresh fuel, drain the old one, if its been sitting there for a year doubt that it would be any good.
thats just for starting the engine ur gonna have to check the rest of the car ir brakes, suspension, bushes, etc etc etc.

markCivicVti
19-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I've read elsewhere that they recommend squirting some oil (teaspoon amount) on the pistons - is this required?

Also I'm guessing my rear drum brakes have probably seized since the hand brake has been on?

night_wolf
19-02-2009, 12:31 PM
fist thing i would do is crank the motor without the plugs in to get oil to move about. then, jump start the car. run for a good 15 min with some nulon oil flush in the engine to get rid of any build up caused. stop the car, drain the oil out while motor is hot. put in new oil (a grade higher than what you normally use on the car just for this once) while sump plug is out pour in about 2 ltr to clense the insides and take away the old oil, watching the old oil pourin out you can easily tell if you might need to flush your engine oil again soon. change filter and spark plugs. this is so that the internals gets some fresh lube without the build up.

secondly, turn your attention the other fluids. your main concern should have been getting the motor to start up BUT not drive it. so now turn your attention to your coolent. check if the level is alright, color of coolent. if you can change the coolent do so. now turn to your brake fluids. ensure levels are topped. an easy check for your drums is to take the car out for a drive. slow driving but constant braking. if you do smell a burnin smell from the drums, your brakes have binded. put some water on it and take the car home. pull wheels off, firstly check if e-brake cable is not busted/rusted/stuck if all ok turn attention to drums. rip apart and check.

night_wolf
19-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I've never taken out any spark plugs... so this will be a fun learning experience...

taking them out is easy use a spark plug socket turn aint clockwise and lift up. when putting a new one in make sure you do NOT Tighten it to hard and the threads on the plug give way. semi tight and do one at a time to avoid getting you spark plug leads to the wrong hole.

beeza
19-02-2009, 08:14 PM
taking them out is easy use a spark plug socket turn aint clockwise and lift up. when putting a new one in make sure you do NOT Tighten it to hard and the threads on the plug give way. semi tight and do one at a time to avoid getting you spark plug leads to the wrong hole.

Yes,when you feel the spark plug 'grab',just turn it enough to where as you don't use force,just so it's snug and tight.'Overhand tight'.Very important for many applications.

02gzm
21-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Putting a small amount of oil in through the spark plug holes and letting it sit for a few hours is done to help lube up the cylinder as the piston might be stuck and cranking might damage the piston, rings or potentially bend a conrod in extreme situations. Im pretty sure it's a certain type of oil you're meant to use too.

Apart from that do as night_wolf said make and sure you change the brake fluid and possibly coolant if it has turned a nice shade of brown. If you've got the time try to do all the fluids and belts as they might have turned brittle from sitting in the same position for ages.

Oh and fuel will turn to varnish when it has been sitting long enough. So it's probably a good idea to get as much of the old stuff out as you can and put some new stuff in.

markCivicVti
21-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Got the car started.... changed the oil and oil filter.... changed 3/4 spark plugs...

turns out the last one is cross threaded.... now can't get the last one to bite properly... I know there's somethig called helicoils... what are you thoughts? Easy or not? Should I get a mobile mechanic to come and fix the threading?

so sad... everything was going so well until this last spark plug :(

beeza
21-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Not 100% sure if it's OK...but how about plumbers tape,the white stuff,it's made from Teflon?

Can anybody confirm this plz?

Paul1985
21-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Spark plugs arent always easy to get out depending on what engine you have.
The east-west festiva should be easily accessible though.

You definately wanna drain the fuel tank and get new fuel. The fuel in it would have gone foul by now.

markCivicVti
21-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Just to recap.

I've changed the oil and oil filter.

I've replaced 3 out of 4 spark plugs. I've taken the last one out... but can't get the last spark plug to bite the thread. Taking out the last spark plug was a harder than the others suggesting it may have been cross threaded.

LubeMobile have gotten back to me saying I need to find a thread repairer as they don't do that sort of work... i'm a bit lost now. Looking for advice... it seems to repair a spark plug thread might be to hard for my skill level using a product like a helicoil... so any suggestions for a mobile mechanic/backyard mechanic to come and help me get the last spark plug?

my brother want to try and drill the last on in with a power drill... but I don't think this is such a good idea.

night_wolf
21-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Mate, my spark plug was drenched in oil (due to worn rocker seals) and the threads have bonded with the plug causin the threads to come off with the plug when changin em. mobile mechs dont really do rethreading. there is a company called the thread Dr. google them up they do rethreading. i didnt get them to do mine souly because i have to remove the rocker cover for them to get in there. didnt have time. droped it in at the mechanics and he did it for me. K mart mechs do it also but they call in a guy too do it for em. might cost a bit. cost me 100 bucks.

night_wolf
21-02-2009, 06:46 PM
as a beginner i wouldnt really advise doing a rethreading. as it takes a big of practice before getting it right. steady hands when you drill through, using oil to ensure metal pieces stay stuck on the drill bit without fallin through, then tapping it, placin the helicoil seat, then putting in the plug. depending on how bad the situation is you might not have to use a helicoil. there are two types of seats for a rethreadin. Fair bit of experience work involved id say mate.

markCivicVti
22-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you all for you advice so far. A couple of places have already said they won't do rethreading... I've contact craig from ThreadTech and I'm guessing he would.. so just the waiting game now... otherwise I'll have to go to a local mechanic, ask them if they would fix it for me... and have it towed there.

the thread dr as suggested is unfortunately in VIC only.. i'm in Brisbane. Till then I'm just hoping the neighbours won't mind/notice that I've rolled the festiva (now effectively a paperweight) on to their property lol. No way in hell is my Honda sleeping outside :)

CB7_OWNER
22-02-2009, 01:45 PM
how do u crank the engine soo the oil runs through the engine, if there is no power running to the car?? i don't get it, could some one quickly explain to my thick head plz.

Soo you pull the spark plugs out, then you crank the engine, ( but in this situation, when he turns the key nothing happens doesnt that mean it wont crank)?? or do you physically turn it yourself??

markCivicVti
23-02-2009, 11:34 AM
For the record, 4 mechanics said they won't do the helicoil. Have one thread specific guy coming to do it for me for 80 bucks on Wednesday.

Anyone know *how* bad having minor dirt and/or metal shavings in the cylinder is/can be? Could it possibly be fine?

night_wolf
23-02-2009, 03:40 PM
metal shavings shouldnt be going into your engine in the first place. if this rethreading guy is good at what he does. their wouldnt be any metal shavings left. could cause damage depending on the size of shavings that is left behind.

but 80 bucks is really cheap. considering that the rocker cover needs to come off (when cover is off make sure you check seals before cover goes back on)