PDA

View Full Version : engine bore?

thescotty
19-02-2009, 05:06 PM
if thats how you spell it?

anyways im wanting to get my engine bored out to like 2L instead of the old 1.8 or maybe further.....

Roughly how much does it cost and what is needed?

is there many gains by doing this?

cheers guys in advance!

TRU32U
19-02-2009, 09:03 PM
stroke\bore yes

TRU32U
19-02-2009, 09:04 PM
oops sorry just thought you were after english correction....
yes gains by doing this but not worth the $$$ at the end just turbo it.

tinkerbell
19-02-2009, 09:22 PM
if thats how you spell it?

anyways im wanting to get my engine bored out to like 2L instead of the old 1.8 or maybe further.....

Roughly how much does it cost and what is needed?

is there many gains by doing this?

cheers guys in advance!

buy a 2.0L CRV engine instead...

cheaper.

thescotty
19-02-2009, 09:28 PM
which engine number are the crvs? there the B20's yeh? how much do they roughly go for?

thanks for the help

night_wolf
20-02-2009, 05:03 AM
get a b20 frankenstein done! allow me to ellaborate, b20 frankenstein = b20 bottom block with a b18cR top.
do not put a CRV bottom on since they tend to crack, when getting the b20 block get the darton block as it is renforced and will not crack at high RPM's u can get sleves for the CRV block but it is better if u get the darton block as it is stronger. basically its a b20 convert to a Vtec monster with a rev limit of 10000RPM (and can run the car at 10000RPM all day no drama). u shall see massive power gains and will continue to see gains with internals changed.

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Not worth a rep point.

thescotty
20-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Fair enough but I can see a bank account demolished by doing this lol, thanks for the info though

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Fair enough but I can see a bank account demolished by doing this lol, thanks for the info though

nah, if you have an LS Integra (your Avatar), the 2.0l CRV engine is a bolt in upgrade...

i have bought CRV engines for 600, 750 and 900 previously.

the 600 was a "short block", but the other two were "long blocks"...

so you pull your tired old B18B longblock out, swap the OBD1 sensors over and put the newish (maybe 20-70'00km old) CRV B20B block in and install torque addition :)...

if you have your own engine hoist (can be bought for 350ish) and tools - you can get away with a $1000 job once you freshen up any old seals/hoses etc...

PLUS you have the option of going B20B with a VTEC head... this can be done, but is more expensive as you have to buy the VTEC head, 1000ish plus, intake manifold (B18CR preferably) and a few other bits and pieces like head gasket, timing belt, water pump, seals and o-rings, ARP rod bolts, ARP head studs, new exhaust, new ECU (or a VAFC) and upgrade many other driveline parts to handle the extra power...

but a basic CRV engine swap is probably going to work out much cheaper than getting your B18B re-bored...

and more reliable then fitting new internals...

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 08:25 AM
get a b20 frankenstein done! allow me to ellaborate, b20 frankenstein = b20 bottom block with a b18cR top.
do not put a CRV bottom on since they tend to crack, when getting the b20 block get the darton block as it is renforced and will not crack at high RPM's u can get sleves for the CRV block but it is better if u get the darton block as it is stronger. basically its a b20 convert to a Vtec monster with a rev limit of 10000RPM (and can run the car at 10000RPM all day no drama). u shall see massive power gains and will continue to see gains with internals changed.

what Hodna B20 engine can you use for a frankenstien that is not a B20B???? :confused: :confused:

TECDUP
20-02-2009, 08:36 AM
what Hodna B20 engine can you use for a frankenstien that is not a B20B???? :confused: :confused:

he said use a darton B20 short block

ps. lol @ not worth a rep point

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 08:39 AM

so there are no Honda blocks right?

and Darton don't make them?

http://www.dartonsleeves.com/sl_import.htm

so seriously not worth a rep point eh?

TECDUP
20-02-2009, 08:43 AM
true!

but do you not like the dart blocks? OEM all the way or what

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 08:47 AM
but do you not like the dart blocks?

yeah, i'd love one, but do i look like i have a money tree growing out of my backside?

hence my "budget upgrade" advice to the OP :D

string
20-02-2009, 09:05 AM
At the end of the day, there so few people who have the budget to build a motor which can turn at "10000RPM all day no drama" that there's no point even suggesting such a thing.

Scotty you will be gaining 200cc worth (~10%) of torque all over (except the stock head will die off even quicker than the 1.8). VTEC head will solve breathing problems.

Tinkerbell: Any recommendations on where to find a cheap B20B? I have a spare B16A head I'm considering a B20VTEC on just for fun.

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 09:10 AM
in Sydney, try Honbits or Hontoys... or in a pinch, Parts Plus (pricey!)

thescotty
20-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info night wolf. If I put the b20b in will my extractors and exhaust bolt on? Also how much power gains will I get? Is it worth the grand spent?

TECDUP
20-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info night wolf

lol what about tinks

thescotty
20-02-2009, 01:29 PM
and tinks haha...sorry:o

night_wolf
20-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Not worth a rep point.

YOU DO REALISE I WAS JUST POINTING OUT THE PROS AND CONS TO THESCOTTY??? my point is that the OEM block cannot withstand high rev'in. I HAVE SEEN THE SLEVES GIVE WAY AS WELL!!! hence my post up!! bloody hell you give ppl info about things and what happens! u get a comment for saying wrong info?? thats complete BS tinkerbell!!!!

night_wolf
20-02-2009, 02:16 PM
thescotty...YOU are welcome mate for the info, look power gains totally depend on how your setup your engine. but since i see your in melbourne, there is a good mechanic to talk to about a B20 frankenstein, he can tell you how much u'd be lookin at to get it done and roughly how much power gains you shall be lookin at. Ward While Motors is the place. head down on a free day and have a chat with him. 2 mates have their cars done up with the darton blocks, having no problems till today. the mechanic can source you the darton block so talk to him and see if what i was telling you is true or not.

night_wolf
20-02-2009, 02:19 PM

ps. lol @ not worth a rep point

Thanks for that tecdup. at least you'v been reading. :D

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 02:22 PM
YOU DO REALISE I WAS JUST POINTING OUT THE PROS AND CONS TO THESCOTTY??? my point is that the OEM block cannot withstand high rev'in. I HAVE SEEN THE SLEVES GIVE WAY AS WELL!!! hence my post up!! bloody hell you give ppl info about things and what happens! u get a comment for saying wrong info?? thats complete BS tinkerbell!!!!

actually, what IS complete BS is saying that B20B is weak and sleeves will crack.

but what would i know? :wave:

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks for that tecdup. at least you'v been reading. :D

but Darton don't make B20 block, do they?

http://www.dartonsleeves.com/sl_import.htm

night_wolf
20-02-2009, 02:31 PM
actually, what IS complete BS is saying that B20B is weak and sleeves will crack.
but what would i know? :wave:

there you go mate! my point exactly. now i dont realise why you have given me a bad rep point when you yourself is saying the same thing???? EXPLAIN?

night_wolf
20-02-2009, 02:32 PM
YES they do thinkerbell! they have just recently started production of the blocks. instead of the sleve inserts they have maked the whole block so it becomes stronger. price is not that high either. so therefore you might as well the complete bottem end instead of getting the sleves since price difference is so little.

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 02:36 PM
there you go mate! my point exactly. now i dont realise why you have given me a bad rep point when you yourself is saying the same thing???? EXPLAIN?

huh?

i said YOU saying that the B20B is weak is bullshit.

you are living in the old ages...

people know how important tuning is to B20BVTEC not breaking, so now they tune them properly and they dont break.

you saying they are weak and crack shows that you have only seen badly built ones.

tinkerbell
20-02-2009, 02:38 PM
YES they do thinkerbell! they have just recently started production of the blocks. instead of the sleve inserts they have maked the whole block so it becomes stronger. price is not that high either. so therefore you might as well the complete bottem end instead of getting the sleves since price difference is so little.

ok buddy, calm down.

get the price for a Darton B20B, landed in AUD, then we can compare costs...

fatboyz39
20-02-2009, 03:59 PM
stock sleeves weak for high rpm? But we turn ours to 9400rpm on stock sleeves? hmmm go figure.

B20B8 block is what your after and there about $900 for LONG BLOCK. If anyone needs one pm me.

fatboyz39
20-02-2009, 04:03 PM
huh?

i said YOU saying that the B20B is weak is bullshit.

you are living in the old ages...

people know how important tuning is to B20BVTEC not breaking, so now they tune them properly and they dont break.

you saying they are weak and crack shows that you have only seen badly built ones.

spot on !:thumbsup: If only i could give ya a rep.

thescotty
20-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Well I'll look into b20b, does anyone know how many kw they are and at wheel if possible? Thanks for all the help guys been good!

TECDUP
21-02-2009, 09:35 AM
its a called Dart block, not darton...are Dart and Darton different companies though?

Just a rough guide scotty...i was talking to rocketindustries a week or 2 ago about the dart block as i too am looking at doing the B20 Frank, with the exchange rate the short block is just over 4k now plus P/H to you from their wearhouse in NSW...

As has been said already, its all about how you setup your engine...if you tune the engine to the max and push it as hard as you can 24/7...without spending majour $$$ no matter what block you are using you will damage something. End of the day you need to consider what you want the car for and then look at your budget and make something to fit...there are a few guys on here running the b20 franks setup and loving it makeing good power and havent really speant a great deal of $.

tinkerbell
21-02-2009, 10:26 AM
yes, there ARE Dart B20 blocks (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DRT-31496801&N=700+400333+315504+115&autoview=sku), but you are the first person to mention them in this thread...

thescotty
22-02-2009, 09:16 PM
well at the moment i just wanna get rid of my old block as its old and put something abit newer and reliable, but with a bit extra power for not a massive cost...

all info is great thanks