PDA

View Full Version : Hank Brake, ABS and Brake Lamp Light. On, On Cluster

tmy
20-02-2009, 09:26 AM
As the title says.

A few weeks ago i was driving whilst going around a round about, i felt something give way, not a massive thing, but just enough to notice it. Sure enough these three lights came on. The brakes felt different so i turned around went home and swapped cars.

My car has sat in my driveway ever since, until wednesday (18/02/09), when i hoped in and none of the lights came on, so i drove it. It was abit wierd to begin with, but i drove it really soft. Once it had warmed up it felt pretty good. It still feels like i need to push the brake pedal harder / furthur in.

Anywho, after driving it for two days (clocking up about 100kms) on my way to work this morning, the lights came back on the cluster came back on.

I check my brake lights, they are all working.

Has anyone else had this problem?

btw, its a 1996 VTi-S.

Any feedback welcome.

bumper
20-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I had the same problem in reagrds to the brake having to be pushed harder and alomost all the way in and it was to do with the brake master cylinder being stuffed. Could be the same thing. Dont know about the lights on the cluster tho?

FAT VTI
20-02-2009, 11:38 AM
your softer pedal may be air in the system, the question is how it got there. make sure your sensors which connect to the lid of your master cylinder (brake) fluid are connected tightly.

Check your fluid level, including your abs.
the lights normally stay on when your brake lights are fkd, so maybe there is a connection problem, however you say your brakes feel differently so it does not sound good...

zillacles
21-02-2009, 12:50 AM
This was happening to me bar the ABS because I don't think I have that, but it didn't affect my brakes or anything like that. I checked all the brake lights were seated properly and since then it hasn't come back on. I think that was it for my car at least, especially since I had just replace the tail lights a week before that anyway

xcwizit
21-02-2009, 07:16 AM
My car has sat in my driveway ever since, until wednesday (18/02/09), when i hoped in and none of the lights came on, so i drove it. It was abit wierd to begin with, but i drove it really soft. Once it had warmed up it felt pretty good. It still feels like i need to push the brake pedal harder / furthur in.

Anywho, after driving it for two days (clocking up about 100kms) on my way to work this morning, the lights came back on the cluster came back on.

I check my brake lights, they are all working.

my friend had the same problem with his tegra. Pushing the brakes all the way in, as if the brakes had soften up, and only happens when the brakes are warm!
It was the Brake Master Cylinder giving way, he knew it anyway and just waited for it to get worser till he changed it himself. Check with your mechanic,if not yourself to see wether it is the master cylinder.

off topic: does your car make a wizzing noise for a few seconds as soon as you turn the ignition on? Mine does and apparently its the ABS.. Is this normal?

tmy
21-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks guy.

Ran into my mechanics apprentice at the pub last night, he said it could be the master cylinder, or the brake booster.

Im just going to book it in for its 10,000KM Service in two weeks - in two weeks time, as it still feels drivable.

I also noticed that when the car is on and in Park and i push the brake i can hear a clicking noise under the gear stick.

tmy
04-03-2009, 09:20 AM
All Fixed.

Just some faulty wiring that sent the impression that the brake lights were out, when they were actually working.

S'all good now!

Cars back to being A1 :)

xcwizit
04-03-2009, 03:15 PM
All Fixed.

Just some faulty wiring that sent the impression that the brake lights were out, when they were actually working.

S'all good now!

Cars back to being A1 :)

Good to hear mate, dont u love it when its nothing major and sumthing small true...

tmy
04-03-2009, 03:27 PM
oh you have no idea how relieved i was :D

zillacles
04-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Do you know which wire(s) they were? Because mine are playing up again :/

FAT VTI
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
check ur connections to ur brake lights mate, just check the wires running from ur brake light to ur dash, more importantly the connections :P