PDA

View Full Version : 2008 VTIL suspension too stiff?

prav
20-02-2009, 01:18 PM
great forum :)

is it just me or is the Civic factory suspension a little too stiff? I find the drive quite bumpy and you can feel every bump on the road. My wife sometimes get carsick when she sits in the back seat.

I asked the stealership about this and they said that it was "normal"?

The car is fantastic and excellent to drive, more so because ours is a manual and I can see the added benefits of the stiff suspension when cornering at a higher speed. Although, since we use this car for leisure a more "comfy" ride is more important.

just wanted some other opinions on this.

Muzzy
20-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I too found that my 09' sport is a bit bumpy when driving. Similar feedback in that the car is great to drive.

Not really sure though. It could be because it is brand new and the suspension is still stiff.

prav
20-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I have heard that the sport suspension is MUCH stiffer than the VTI/L so its not surprising that your ride is bumpy. I was more so curious as to what other VTI/L owners had to say.

If I had the dough I would have gone for the sport. much much more sexier :D

fitme
20-02-2009, 06:11 PM
what tire pressure are you runnin?

warwick108
20-02-2009, 08:02 PM
yeh.. its due to the tire pressure.. i know when i pump my tires full.. it gets quite uncomfy.. feels alot stiffer.. so dumb is down a little.. =)

ktvin09
20-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I had the same prob before, someone here suggested filling the car with 32 (psi or whatever that is), and there're slight improvement i must say.

black8thgen
20-02-2009, 09:32 PM
yeah run around 32-34.. well i run that on my sport rims.. and its quite fine for me =D

fitme
21-02-2009, 08:56 AM
try to fill it with nitrogen....its much way better than a compressed air..

BC8
21-02-2009, 10:30 AM
having it at 32 psi is reasonable as the dealer usually pump more pressure to your tyres. Theres is a difference driving at low and higher pressure over 32 PSI on the stock civic suspension.

prav
21-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I thought the recommended tire pressure was 30 PSI as this is usually what I pump when I check the tires, I usually run my RAV4 at 36 PSI but that is a different story.

I will check it now that it just came back from a service at the dealer. 32 PSI should be adequate to give good mileage and also ride comfort.

Nitrogen : as far as I know this is a gimmick and a waste of money, didnt you learn in school that the free air we breathe is more than 70% N2? as long as you maintain your tire pressure to the recommended level your tires will last just as long.

BC8
21-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I thought the recommended tire pressure was 30 PSI as this is usually what I pump when I check the tires, I usually run my RAV4 at 36 PSI but that is a different story.

I will check it now that it just came back from a service at the dealer. 32 PSI should be adequate to give good mileage and also ride comfort.

Nitrogen : as far as I know this is a gimmick and a waste of money, didnt you learn in school that the free air we breathe is more than 70% N2? as long as you maintain your tire pressure to the recommended level your tires will last just as long.

yeah recommended is the 30 PSI. But for 15" and the type profiles of the civic. 32 PSI I believe is adequate

FallenAngel
21-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I found the VTI-L quite soft although i have 06 model not too sure how its so stiff for yours..

fitme
21-02-2009, 07:39 PM
edited

prav
22-02-2009, 02:34 PM
edited

No Flame intended fitme, sorry if my previous post sounded a bit harsh. I have been on a lot of forums online that debate the Nitrogen in tires issue and general consensous is that it is a waste of money.

prav
22-02-2009, 02:37 PM
back on the suspension issue, am i right i assuming that the only difference between a VTI and VTIL (suspension wise) is that the VTIL has lower profile wheels on alloys? Other than that I am sure that the springs, shocks etc are the same?

markCivicVti
22-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah the suspension is the same between vti/vti-l.

No one here with a vti actually keeps the stock steelies for very long...

either way there's not THAT much difference between the 15" steelies and my now 18" rays.

ahmondjai
23-02-2009, 01:16 AM
I found it quiet soft on my vTi 08, wanna swap? hehehe

Derrick28
25-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Guys...what is the recommendation tire pressure (psi) on the Honda Civic VTi standard model??
I know this is a dumb Q's...i just can't seem to find it !!

Derrick

Kangaaz
25-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Guys...what is the recommendation tire pressure (psi) on the Honda Civic VTi standard model??
I know this is a dumb Q's...i just can't seem to find it !!

Derrick

Look down when you open the door next:)

renegadeice
26-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I've got an 07 VTI. My suspension's a little too soft for my liking. But what everyone is saying about your tyre pressure is true. Lowering the pressure will make for a softer overall ride. Dealers tend to like using lower pressure on the tyres to give the customers a feeling of better comfort.

I've always been told that you should use the highest pressure setting (as recommended by the manufacturer) for grip and safety.

curtis265
19-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I quite like the VTi-L suspension. Right balance of firmness as wellas comfort - my friend's car buckles a good inch and a bit when i stand on the towbar - and i'm only 55 kg.