PDA

View Full Version : not getting servuce done at dealers, but still under warranty

philip_pc
21-02-2009, 09:44 PM
just want to see if there is anyone here that is getting their log book servicing done at a mechanic of their choice as opposed to getting it done at the dealers?
ive just heard too much gimmicks and bad stories about dealers ripping people off and stuff and i recently went for the 1 month check on my car and i kinda was not pleased with the service i received.
and as a general question, my dealer told me this but i just wanna comfirm this, will it void warranty if i get it done at my preferred mechanic? i was told as long as they follow whats meant to be done in the logbook it should be fine, just wanna confirm this with other people out there.

philip_pc
21-02-2009, 09:55 PM
i mean besides getting the stamps in the book is there anything else they do that a non honda mechanic wont do?
also when i got the 1 month check they were telling me about how they connect the car to their special computer or some sort to see if the cars computers are all running fine. is this the only thing holding me from going to another mechanic? cause i really wanna go somewhere else, didnt like the service they povided, left oil all over the front of my car and when they oiled the joints in the windows they left oil everywhere, windows, seats, body panels..........how important IS this machine they connect up to your car?

warwick108
21-02-2009, 10:45 PM
well..i did a service at 20,000km.. and i had a squeeky sound coming from the rear suspension..they fixed that up under warranty.. I guess thats an up side... its hassle free i guess when something is wrong..

philip_pc
21-02-2009, 10:53 PM
but if nothings wrong would i just be able to go somewhere else?
come back when something IS wrong, i'll just keep all my servicing invoices to i can prove to them what was done and what wasnt just in case they accuse me of doing something i didnt do.

OLD MAN
21-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I think you'll find most mechanics will jab you sooner or later. You won't void your warranty by going elsewhere despite what some dealers might tell you.

Only Honda dealers have access to diagnostic equipment to suit your car so if your car is throwing an error code you are not aware of only a Honda dealer can restore your car back to OEM spec.

Manufacturers are constantly updating their software; eg a better more efficient program is released for your auto transmission, a dealer will automatically update your car to current specs without charging you.

Honda dealers have seen every problem many times so they don't charge you hours of trouble shooting time to solve your problem.

Honda's in general have very good resale value; your typical Honda buyer will pay more or favour your car if the History was with an authorised dealer. I know I would.

Think about it, if you were buying a used Honda and the books were stamped by Wally's mechanical repairs how impressed would you be compared to a car with a genuine Honda history?

Local mechanics are cheaper but not much cheaper, I believe it's a short term gain.

prav
23-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Phil, i thought the same as you in the beginning but what OLD_MAN says is very true. I get my honda serviced by the honda dealer i bought the car from. My CD stacker just died and was replaced under warranty for free.

If you pay attention to your service and ask for both estiamtes up front and query why they are doing things that are not part of the recommended service list then you will get value for money while also keeping your resale value intact.

ricksta
25-02-2009, 02:22 PM
began servicing at the honda dealer I bought the car from and then I changed and get it serviced at Hanny's Performance in Smithfield. They service the car while I wait and they stamp everything. Coming up to 3 years old now and haven't had any warranty issues.
If I was buying a car and saw it was serviced at Hanny's then that would rate pretty well with me.
You will have to way up the pros and cons for your situation though. Some people will service elsewhere and some wont.

OLD MAN
25-02-2009, 02:57 PM
began servicing at the honda dealer I bought the car from and then I changed and get it serviced at Hanny's Performance in Smithfield. They service the car while I wait and they stamp everything. Coming up to 3 years old now and haven't had any warranty issues.
If I was buying a car and saw it was serviced at Hanny's then that would rate pretty well with me.
You will have to way up the pros and cons for your situation though. Some people will service elsewhere and some wont.

Hanny's could well be a reputable mechanic but who's heard of Hanny's? My point is, try and convince the buyer Hanny rocks.

I bet your car could do with several software updates since you stopped using Honda. Ask Hanny if he could run a diagnostic check to be sure, my point is he can't.

ricksta
25-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Thats why I said
'You will have to way up the pros and cons for your situation though. Some people will service elsewhere and some wont.'

I chose not to service with Honda and that is what phillip_pc was asking, to see who was servicing with Honda.

philip_pc
26-02-2009, 12:03 PM
i was thinking of going to hanny's as well but the only thing i think they might lack as compared to the dealers is that computer things they plug into the car.
and as my luck comes i have recently noticed some squeeling on my front left wheel when i brake >.<
guess i just answered my own question, time to head back to dealers to get this fixed under warranty >.<

ricksta
27-02-2009, 06:37 AM
how often do they do the diagnostic checks? every service?

civic_07
27-02-2009, 07:33 AM
^^^ it stated something like that in the service manual, isnt it?

checked for, and completed all relevant Honda outstading product updates

i did the 10K service last week at Hannys, not sure what i missed though ;)

philip_pc
27-02-2009, 09:46 AM
i think they do the diagnostic every service, thats what the guy at the desk told me.
i just dropped it off this morning to get the brake noise fixed, will see how it goes.

philip_pc
28-02-2009, 12:44 PM
picked car up yesterday, they said there was buildup of brake dust and the discs were glazed (whateva that means), all fixed up now, done under warranty....

markCivicVti
28-02-2009, 01:15 PM
glazing happens when you drive like a girl and only do soft braking... Drive it like it's meant to be and it should not happen.

philip_pc
28-02-2009, 03:45 PM
hahahahahahahaha, gotcha =)