PDA

View Full Version : New car

xOzEvOx
21-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi all,
Just signed up to Ozhonda,

Names dave ive just started a new apprenticeship in refrigeration and a/c and i am looking at investing in a honda :) as i know they make a beautiful engine. I am 17 and am currently on red p's (greens in august). What would you guys suggest i was thinking a dc2r teg, EG civic maybe an EK budget is upto 15k.

cheers

Limbo
21-02-2009, 11:01 PM
dc2r if you can find one in budget

Chuckz
21-02-2009, 11:36 PM
if cant find 1 in budge, i'd go EG civic with a b16a in it

Tarquin
22-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Im thinkin you shoud pick up a good condition civic vtir coupe, these things look good with simple mods and should be loads of fun with out bein over the top. a bit newer then an eg aswell which is always good, if ya do pick one up take care of it cause these things will be harder to come by and should fetch a health resale value
my 2 cents

kcokla
22-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Im thinkin you shoud pick up a good condition civic vtir coupe, these things look good with simple mods and should be loads of fun with out bein over the top. a bit newer then an eg aswell which is always good, if ya do pick one up take care of it cause these things will be harder to come by and should fetch a health resale value
my 2 cents

id go with this guy
go something stock
learn urself
do it all ur self(Y)

xOzEvOx
22-02-2009, 11:31 AM
i love the look of anything with that jdm look. amber corners. etc. I do like the dc2r but..the circular headlights on the front just dont do it for me..the back looks awesome..the fronts the main problem

migoreng
22-02-2009, 12:40 PM
if you want some bigger and more comfy..5th gen prelude
;)

SHOGUNOVDDRK
22-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Welcome to Ozhonda mate,

If you're in Sydney come swing by a Monthly Meet sometime and have a look @ a few of the local cars and what people are doing with them :)

p.s DC2R would be best option IMO but you wont get a "ZOMGSOCLEAN!!!111!" for 15k (IMO once again)

if you want some bigger and more comfy..5th gen prelude
;)

hahahahahahaha, Boats can look pimpin' :p

xOzEvOx
22-02-2009, 12:55 PM
thanks for all the replies :)

Just wondering if theres any previous threads that have some kind of chart ot something that shows what engine come with each model (k20 - dc5 integra, b18c- dc2 integra)..and so on. I wanna get to know my hondas and what everyone is talking about :P.

thanks

SHOGUNOVDDRK
22-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes mate there are a SHITLOAD of comparison threads, just navigating the search can be a trick (so be patient)

In hignsight the K20 is superior but the DC5R sucks (and is ugly)

xOzEvOx
22-02-2009, 01:14 PM
ok i was just looking at engine codes etc on wikipedia..and realised..its gonna take me a farkinggg long time to actually know what goes in what..as an example the b16 has 7 variants !! b16a b16a1 b16a2 b16a3 b16a4 b16a6 and
b16b ! my question is if i was to buy an EG hatch civic:

1. what would be the best EG body type for me to buy (is there a difference in them)?

2. Which motor would be the most suitable for me (and my price range 15k), what is the most powerful engine (p plate legal) that can be swapped into an EG civic (other then the k20 ofcourse) and also within my price ?

thanks alot, great community here

rawr
22-02-2009, 01:53 PM
EG you should go for a gli.

1. efi - no hassle on changing the fuel lines, power steering, i think aircon and power windows too.

You should pick up a decent one for 3-4k, already overpriced so don't pay anymore for it.

After that you have about 11k left. A good K20 conversion i think you should have a budget of 15k on the engine only. And cause thats over your budget you have 2 options

H22A (usually from a prelude)
and
B18c7 (From Type R)

Both should be under your budget which will leave a bit off buffer for unexpected things, or new brakes and I/H/E.

BTW what area you from. If in Victoria, that's illegal. But if in NSW to make it legal, You will have to get an engineering cert as it is above 20% displacement. And that may require things like upgrade of rear brakes.

hisoka
22-02-2009, 01:59 PM
get civic, less attention on p plate~ and can have a little ripper of a engine~

you can usually pick up a civic ek, for about 4~5 grand sometimes more for model variations~

then engine swap and left over money just save for uni/tafe or something

spastic
22-02-2009, 01:59 PM
dont waste ur time getting eg. jdm boy racer car.

just go straight to type-r it is better in EVERY ASPECT.

xOzEvOx
22-02-2009, 02:47 PM
EG you should go for a gli.

1. efi - no hassle on changing the fuel lines, power steering, i think aircon and power windows too.

You should pick up a decent one for 3-4k, already overpriced so don't pay anymore for it.

After that you have about 11k left. A good K20 conversion i think you should have a budget of 15k on the engine only. And cause thats over your budget you have 2 options

H22A (usually from a prelude)
and
B18c7 (From Type R)

Both should be under your budget which will leave a bit off buffer for unexpected things, or new brakes and I/H/E.

BTW what area you from. If in Victoria, that's illegal. But if in NSW to make it legal, You will have to get an engineering cert as it is above 20% displacement. And that may require things like upgrade of rear brakes.

Hi mate, i am located in nsw. I think it would be best if i just bought something with a b18c already in it or maybe even a b16a. stops the hassle of organising someone to do the swap for me aswell as engineering cert etc.

thanks for ur input mate

xOzEvOx
22-02-2009, 02:48 PM
dont waste ur time getting eg. jdm boy racer car.

just go straight to type-r it is better in EVERY ASPECT.

type r civic ?? what year i thought they were around the 20k mark

SHOGUNOVDDRK
22-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I think it would be best if i just bought something with a b18c already in it or maybe even a b16a. stops the hassle of organising someone to do the swap for me aswell as engineering cert etc.

thanks for ur input mate

I have to disagree with that.

Buy a cheap EG and get it swapped by Bennjamin :thumbsup: and getting it certified/engineered should be ok.

Believe me you will love it more in the long run :p

Or dont buy anything yet and have a feel/look @ both Combinations first :)

IMO EGB18CR would be best :)

^Ignore him, he's a nub :p

Just get the EG or ITR (dc2r) but like i said, EGB18CR FTW

JDM.Power
22-02-2009, 03:51 PM
main thing, do not just go b16a alone if your going to do a engine conversion. its just a waste.
go through a route like the
b20b/b16 or B series 1.8ltr is best choice
ppl tend to sell b16a for similar prices to a b18c2 or so.
you just have to keep searching and you will end up with a bargin.

but imo with 15k cash, dc2 vtir, em1 or a ek4 and use the rest of your money on insurance, if it may need rego and few other things to keep you happy.

xOzEvOx
22-02-2009, 08:12 PM
ok ive come to a decision. I wanna get a stocko EG hatch for around 4k then ill buy the B18CR block and get it swapped in (im pretty sure i know a mate that may be able to do it). what you guys think ? any suggestions as to websites to purchase JDM parts from, wheels etc ? also does anyone have an idea what it is for insurance of a b18c civic ? wouldnt it be a fair whack ?? thanks all

MikeyG
22-02-2009, 11:29 PM
if your in the nsw area which i think you are.. best bet is search from wrecks who do sell engines. also on this website "JDMYARD" sells engines, "seekermotor sports" also sell them. if your going to buy a EG, get gli and above since they are EFI.

so EG about 3-5k.
b18cr 6-8k
better brakes (96 spec ITR 4x114 lug or ek9/dc2r 5 lug) 1,200 - 1,500k
wheels depends 0-3000g's

so lets say max budget

5k+8k+1.5k+ in the middle rare wheels 2k= 16.5k

there u go!

but wait... i didnt include engine cert so maybe another 1-3k ontop of that. BUT those prices are MAX

JDM.Power
23-02-2009, 12:31 AM
but wait... i didnt include engine cert so maybe another 1-3k ontop of that. BUT those prices are MAX

no need for engine cert unless he goes beyond 225cc bigger than his standard motor.

xOzEvOx
23-02-2009, 06:33 AM
thanks alot for all your help.. ill be here to stay and help wherever i can lol..

:)

cheers

tayl51601
23-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Try find a Eg VTi
It comes with a b16 motor so theres good potential for mods in the future, would be a lot easier to change to a b18 if thats what you are after because it would be a straight swap..........
No needing engine mounts and playing around.............

Other than the eg i would go for a EK 99 VTi-R, DC2R would be difficult to find...........

rawr
23-02-2009, 09:13 AM
no need for engine cert unless he goes beyond 225cc bigger than his standard motor.

oh true, going from 1.6-1.8 in nsw <20&#37; increase in displacement. No engineering cert ftw!

to the above comment.

EG VTi does not come with a b16, but rather a d16. A SOHC vtec motor. These are the best to do a conversion in (depending on what you want. Their heavier cause they have a sunroof but have the most features) but their a bit pricey for your budget. You would need to change engine mounts.

Btw tay im thinking your thinking of a jap spec eg6 which came with the 1st gen b16a. We didn't get em in australia, but there are a few down here.

hisoka
23-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Try find a Eg VTi
It comes with a b16 motor so theres good potential for mods in the future,

when did eg vti come with b16, i thought only eg6 came with b16 ?

do you go to southbank tafe by anychance lol~

xOzEvOx
23-02-2009, 12:09 PM
oh true, going from 1.6-1.8 in nsw <20% increase in displacement. No engineering cert ftw!

to the above comment.

EG VTi does not come with a b16, but rather a d16. A SOHC vtec motor. These are the best to do a conversion in (depending on what you want. Their heavier cause they have a sunroof but have the most features) but their a bit pricey for your budget. You would need to change engine mounts.

Btw tay im thinking your thinking of a jap spec eg6 which came with the 1st gen b16a. We didn't get em in australia, but there are a few down here.

hi mate, why would it be a bit pricey for my budget? are they worth more then your typical EG ?

xOzEvOx
23-02-2009, 12:11 PM
when did eg vti come with b16, i thought only eg6 came with b16 ?

do you go to southbank tafe by anychance lol~

if your referring to me loll.. no i go to tamworth TAFE.. for now anyway..untill i move to the coast.. When i do finally get a honda up and running i mite have to head up to sydney for a cruise or 2..show you guys my progress :thumbsup:

tayl51601
23-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Sorry got confused, i knew someone with a b16 eg........ my bad lol
But like was said before i reckon if you care about all the electric windows and sunroof go a vti if its an easy swap from a d16.
I was thinking about do a conversion on my old eg but it was easier to just buy an ek4 with all the luxuries already there..........

hisoka
23-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry got confused, i knew someone with a b16 eg........ my bad lol
But like was said before i reckon if you care about all the electric windows and sunroof go a vti if its an easy swap from a d16.
I was thinking about do a conversion on my old eg but it was easier to just buy an ek4 with all the luxuries already there..........

lol yer thought so aye~ LOL `got excited for a second.

you go to southbank tafe aye ? i seen your car around there ?

if your referring to me loll.. no i go to tamworth TAFE.. for now anyway..untill i move to the coast.. When i do finally get a honda up and running i mite have to head up to sydney for a cruise or 2..show you guys my progress :thumbsup:

nah didnt mean you loL~

tayl51601
24-02-2009, 07:32 AM
you go to southbank tafe aye ? i seen your car around there ?
~

Yep i go there lol, just got my car running properly this week..........

hisoka
24-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Yep i go there lol, just got my car running properly this week..........

lol true drive it up there and show us lol~

iam in your geoscience class iam pretty sure, and you hang out with another white EK driver

tayl51601
24-02-2009, 03:43 PM
lol true drive it up there and show us lol~

iam in your geoscience class iam pretty sure, and you hang out with another white EK driver

Ill be there thursday night at about 5.30-9 if you want to see it, either that or saturday morning lol

Yea Giao lol, i think hes wanting a faster car now...............