PDA

View Full Version : cheapish mods for d16

BLK220
22-10-2004, 07:25 PM
just after some quick comments....

cheapish mods for a D16Y1 SOHC VTEC.
Possible headers, exhaust, cold air? ecu...
any help is great
thanks guys

egSi
22-10-2004, 07:28 PM
K+N drop in filter, ragedzine/bisi header, tune it 2.25 cat back

not cheap lol

na
22-10-2004, 08:05 PM
how much is cheap...?

imashy14u
22-10-2004, 08:15 PM
some Trust, HKS, C-West, etc stickers....about $10 per sticker....really cheap mods.

Just joking :D :D :D

Seriously, I'd go with the air filter and exhaust. If you're tight on cash, just get a cat back system....not much power increase, but sounds sweet. If you've got a bit more money, then go the headers...

Hope this helps :)

Baopham
22-10-2004, 08:16 PM
nah u shouldnt go over 2inch with the exhaust piping.. i hear 2.25 is ok.. but to get maximum torque it should be 2... thats what i heard anyway, coz a mate had 2.25 and reckons he loses torque.. overall, a cheap exhuast system 4-2-1 headers all the way to the muffler tip should cost u around $750.. depending on what headers and muffler u choose..

Terry
23-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah.......DIY cold air intake....drop in air filter..get a 4-2-1 header and cat back exhaust done......then u will be very happy to take your car running around!

P.S. Mine also is SOHC Vtec as well..... :D

bubblecivic
23-10-2004, 12:48 AM
so how can civic owners take a step further after just full exhuast and air filter?
any other affordable mods? lol

joneblaze
23-10-2004, 01:03 AM
BLK220, you'll have to define your budget before forumers can assist you specifically. Most EG VTi owners will simply do Intake/Header/Exhaust, one will suggest turbo ;)

bubblecivic - strip the interior ;), remove any stupid 17"/18" heavy shithouse showoff rims, start spending money and working on the engine...

bubblecivic
23-10-2004, 01:11 AM
yeah like what other engine mods besides the i/h/e hehe
ofcourse no 17s, but stripping the interior is abit extreme i'd say lol

Terry
23-10-2004, 01:14 AM
joneblaze....i agree with you.....there are several ways to get more horse under your foot.....Swap is one but not the only one choice.... :D

PS:Want a SOHC go faster? Can also consider to get a 4.7/4.9 final gear.

**Ghost**
23-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Ebay Turbo it : )

Do intake first mate, cos regardless of what u do u'll need an intake... its a good improvement in power and it sound ssweet and u can DIY it : )

Then start saving up for a turbocharger... if ur car is d16 should be relatively cheap to do it. Dont go for a FULL kit at the start, add stuff on as u go and keep it low low low boost

Nething is better than a 700+ header/exhaust upgrade on a 1.6 NA... i learnt, luckily, from a friend at uni who got practically same car as me (he has EM1, i have EK4) and he went and got full house 2.25 exhaust +high flow cat + dc2R headers.... net result was that he got 12HP or somehting at the wheels... which really is shitall

I personally would go get a low boost setup (if u want a cheap kit, then make sure ur kit was never designed to go higher)...THEN go get an exhaust and receive a much bigger power hike

but thast just thinking u want power... u could blow it all on suspension!!

but personally speaking, i was gong to go mod mod mod when i bought my car... but over the last 6 months i just been spending money getting my car back into shape with timing belt, water pump, brakes, ignition wires, etc etc etc etc etc

aznsiko
23-10-2004, 10:44 AM
some Trust, HKS, C-West, etc stickers....about $10 per sticker....really cheap mods.

Just joking :D :D :D

Seriously, I'd go with the air filter and exhaust. If you're tight on cash, just get a cat back system....not much power increase, but sounds sweet. If you've got a bit more money, then go the headers...

Hope this helps :)

lol... yea u do see sum ppl out dere hu's car is full ricey to d shit house wid all d stcikers.. "oh my god bro.. my cars qiuck its got HKS stickers" lol..

HRV-80Y
23-10-2004, 10:53 AM
BLK220...wana kno a secret to cheaps mods on d16's? i gained like close to 100kw's exactly 98.7kw's from mounting a OzHonda.com sticker on my right read window...

= p

bubblecivic
23-10-2004, 11:29 AM
so how much more in cost/performance would a decent turbo kit compared to i/h/e mods?!?!

egSi
23-10-2004, 11:55 AM
BLK220, you'll have to define your budget before forumers can assist you specifically. Most EG VTi owners will simply do Intake/Header/Exhaust, one will suggest turbo ;)

bubblecivic - strip the interior ;), remove any stupid 17"/18" heavy shithouse showoff rims, start spending money and working on the engine...

jone!!!!!!!!!!!! **** yeah exactly right, i you are serious about d16 performance loose over weighted shit ahngin off the car, you pm boys.

geo41e
23-10-2004, 12:03 PM
i rekon the js racing style intake gives better throttle respoinse n power overall, compard to a stock intajke pipe n box with a custome intake feed with the reso removed.

**Ghost**
23-10-2004, 12:18 PM
wait for some real experts to post, cos i'm still reseraching my kit... but from wot i've read its somewhere around 6-10 psi depending on tuning and the state of ur engigne and wot parts u getting (like intercooler, upgraded fuel/oil pumps, etc)

PLEASE NOTE: The stuff i'm suggesting (and getting for myself) is for a setup that would probably NEVER EVER go above high boost... its for a low boost setup permanently so if u want future potential look elsewhere

I;m searching on Ebay + Wreckers + Custom for my parts... and right now i THINK its going to be around (in AUS$)

~$400 for a T25 or t3 or hybride t3/t4 Turbo... price would get u a new for bad brands (ssautocrhome, etc), 2nd hand for good brands. I'll try and get one with an internal wastgate

~$300 for a decent manifold. Maybe spend another 50 to get it HPC coated (nothing smash hot though, but we're on a budget remember)

~150 for a downpipe (recommend that u get this press bent in AUSTRALIA from an exhaust shop so they can make sure it fits and u get to keep AirCon and PwrSteering)

~100 for a used intercooler from the local wrecker. Just get out teh pliers to straighten the fins, and get out the grease remover to clean the bitch.

~150 for a set of 450cc Injectors off some sort of turbo Mitsu (prolly galant, eclipse, etc)

~250-300 for a VAFC/SAFC to trick the injectors/fuel maps and other stuff i dont understand to make it work.

you could save a lot here and get a FMU or chip ur own ECU with some programs off the net. FMU would be a $100 total but doesnt work well, whereas ECU wouldnt cost nething more than 50 bucks. For both chipping or FMU u wont need the injectors neither. Personally though i dont trust a program written by some guy off the net, and the FMU is notoriously unreliable so i'm gong to spend some money and get a nice blue screen in my car... bling bling : )

~ You would have to get a whole lot of misc parts such as intercooler piping, charge piping, clamps, washers, nuts, bolts etc etc... i'd factor in around 200 here to be realistic, press bent, mild steel, from your local exhaust shop.

~lastly, electronics... u want a 50 dollar turbo timer so u dont have to sit in ur car everytime u get out of the car for 10 minutes, u want a boost gauge for tuning purposes and actaully knowing how much boost u running which would cost u around another 50. And who can forego a BOV? 50 bucks

So for parts alone...

Turbo (internal wastegate) $400
+ Manifold $300
+ Downpipe $150
+ Injectors $150
+ SAFC/VAFC $300
+ Intercooler $100
+ MISC Piping $200
+ BoostGauge/BOV/TTimer $200

add that all up u looking at... $1800

Then u start thinking about installation + tuning... depends on who u know or how much u can do urself i guess. My friend said he'll do it for me for $300 in his boss's shop.

these are only the mandatory parts btw... we havent talked about getting boost controller/exhaust etc etc... but the above is wot u basically NEED.

I suppose you COULD skimp on the intercooler and install the kit first. But for a 100 bcusk and the safety of having one, y the hell wold u bother. waiting for one more paycheck isnt going to kill u.

The BIGGEST saving u could make though, is on the VAFC/Injectors suggestion. I udnno how wise this is those with shit like Uberdata/Turboedit programs or an FMU

So am i correct? Weq? Andy?

egSi
23-10-2004, 12:19 PM
experts? u mean turbo D experts?

**Ghost**
23-10-2004, 12:25 PM
I meant ppl who have actually turboed a honda :)

btw, since we;re on topic neway... can neone tell me if the Chipping Your ECU thing actaully works. The US forums fully worship it...

Prsonally i'm going the VAFC/INjector route...

bubblecivic
23-10-2004, 12:30 PM
hey also, on the same topic kinda, i was wondering if civic vti/si owners with i/h/
e are capable of beating sss n14 pulsars?

egSi
23-10-2004, 12:34 PM
hey also, on the same topic kinda, i was wondering if civic vti/si owners with i/h/
e are capable of beating sss n14 pulsars?

got someone to beat lol

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=146508#post146508

joneblaze
23-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Please stay on topic... this thread has been started by BLK 220.

sivic
23-10-2004, 08:52 PM
you could go a aftermarket camshaft. a few companies make them for SOHC VTEC. just search the web

imashy14u
23-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Ghost, sorry mate, but I think some of your prices are not realistic.....I turboed my car about a year ago. Initially I had your thoughts, thinking it'll be heaps cheap.

$300 for a decent manifold????? :confused: What do you mean decent? for that price, a decent manifold will be made out of mild steel. A manifold made out of steam pipe will set you back at least $600.

Put it this way, there's no such thing as running safe boost...safe boost for a NA car that has been turboed is no boost. For a decent setup that is safe and with the power to boot, you'll be looking at about $5K to $6K. Some may argue with that, but trust me, it's not as cheap as you think.

**Ghost**
24-10-2004, 12:30 AM
....... i dunno man, i dont wanna argue with u cos ur boosted already an i ahvent : ) but seriously 5-6k? i mean a bloody full Greddy Kit for a d16 is only like 2500 with the works (FMIC, Emanage and stuff) shipped to ur door from america...

and i'm pretty sure they're GOOD kits... i guess u have to factor in whether its a high boost application or not mate... i htink the guy who started the topic "cheapish mods" would think about low boost... so yeh

BLK220
24-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Guys, Thanks heaps for all your input.
great help.

cheers~!

So far it looks like headers & 2 1/4" zaust, i have made my own cold air intake... slapped a few bits and pieces together at work... its more than likely not 100% efficient but it works a better than stock and sounds unreal.
Thanks again guys!

saboteur
24-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Cold air intake should be good for these hot days, I'd stick with the OE airbox though, just slap a high flow panel filter in there.

full Greddy Kit for a d16 is only like 2500 with the works (FMIC, Emanage and stuff) shipped to ur door from america...

It doesn't come with any intercooler, injectors or blow off valve. Also the e-Manage doesn't come with the ignition harness or tuning support cable, so you couldn't do any dyno tuning 'out of the box'.

ABZY
24-10-2004, 09:58 PM
i got the single cam vtec, i just got 2 1/4 zorst and i had the intke that went into the gaurd, could feel the differance, coest me $800 for the lot, now i have a fatter intake that sits in the engine bay, bit better again, and its really roars at higher revs, my opinion ditch the D and go for a B, i was thinkin bout dion more to my engine but its really just floggin a dead horse, just my opinion

imashy14u
25-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Like what saboteur said, the greddy kit misses alot of ancillaries. In the end it will cost you more

BLK220, it's good to hear that your mods have made a difference :thumbsup: But trust me, after a few months you'll want more.....maybe a turbo setup :D

onabuzz
25-10-2004, 05:18 PM
intake is shoking, unless u get cold air i found that iv had power loss since i put on my pod.. to much hot air in teh engine bay..

Terry
25-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Yeah!!! cold air intake is a very cheap and effective mod......i m suprise with the HP gain by this as well...... :D

PS:My gear box told me he hate pot filter......

Lyle_Style
26-10-2004, 04:41 PM
A good mod for around 1k would be a decent full exhaust system ( not just a muffler and and rusty sound). Also together with that get a cold air induction system with a panel airfilter that is mounted in your bumper as an intercooler would, as well as a high pressure fuel pump (255L/h)
This should give u a bit more power over the whole rev range.

egSi
26-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah!!! cold air intake is a very cheap and effective mod......i m suprise with the HP gain by this as well...... :D

PS:My gear box told me he hate pot filter......

bahahahah nice one terry :D

sivic
26-10-2004, 10:42 PM
with only i/h/e a new fuel pump is going to do nothing as the factory pump is far more than adequate. those panels that sit like a intercooler would be good only for dyno readings but they decrease engine response a lot due to the extra piping

joyride
27-10-2004, 03:11 AM
cheap mods?

get a short shifter (you wont go any faster but use your imagination)

strip useless stuff from your car.

sit yourself in an upright but comfortable position. contrary to the belief, you can drive faster if you are more closer to the wheel.

get better brake pads, u may not go faster but atleast you'll pull up alot sooner.

egSi
27-10-2004, 07:27 AM
cheap mods?

get a short shifter (you wont go any faster but use your imagination)

strip useless stuff from your car.

sit yourself in an upright but comfortable position. contrary to the belief, you can drive faster if you are more closer to the wheel.

get better brake pads, u may not go faster but atleast you'll pull up alot sooner.

hes right yo :)