PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Accord Euro Central locking failure

rhce7320
23-02-2009, 09:35 PM
My front passenger side locking acutator is failing to lock/unlock. Does anybody know how to correctly remove the door liner? Any screws or fasteners are completely concealed. I am confident I can either repair or replace the acutator if I can get the door lining off.

eurosp
19-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Mine too. What a bummer, its out of warranty.

Mine was actually started to acting strange towards the end of the third year. You can tell there is a bit of a delay after you press the remote. You can hear the other 3 door has already open/lock. I took it to the dealer to fix. They lubricate it and it was fine for a few weeks, then it started again. But I did not border to go back to the dealer, which I should. This year, it just died.

Anyone else have problem with Honds's Central Locking?

ps: I just notice there is another post about people having the same problem.

rhce7320
21-03-2009, 09:32 PM
After I priced a new actuator, (~$250),I decided to either destroy or repair the old one. If you try this, you need time on your hand and some experience with miniature DC motors is an asset.

It took a fair amount of time to get the door liner off. There are 3 hidden screws - I mean, more hidden than the other hidden screws. 2 are under the plastic cover that holds the power window switch, & the other is under the silver insert in the 'rising' part of the closer handle. The black plastic triangular bit above the liner need to come out too.
The lock was fiddly to remove, but I eventually got it out & separated the lock & actuator, I carefully smashed open the plastic actuator seam, & test ran the miniature DC motor inside. The motor current goes thru a protective PTC resistor which heats up and effectively 'turns the motor off' if there is too much motor current.
I got the motor open by pulling off the worm screw & pushing the shaft back into the housing. This way you don't disturb the delicate commutator & brush assy until the armature is out & you can see what you are doing. I carefully lifted the brushes off the commutator with a needle before pulling the armature out of the back bearing.
Cleaned up the carbon/copper/grease muck that was shunting current around the commutator. Also cleaned the commutator gaps with a needle point. Dressed the commutator copper with a needle file. Wash up in Meth, lube & reassembled motor.

Reassembled actuator box & glued halves together with Araldite.
Tip: Araldite curing can be speeded up to about a minute with heat. I used a hot air head on a Weller butane torch.

Tip #2: DO NOT run the actuator motor once assembled. Damage will happen. The internal limit switch isn't wired in to the motor current path. It is sensed by an external controller which turns off motor current

Took an evening to reassemble the lack & door. Works like a charm.

Jimsa
30-04-2009, 05:04 PM
This happened to me. And because of it, the car was left unlocked in the carport for just over a week.
Some little turd walked up my driveway in the middle of the night, opened the door, took my missus $600 pair of sunnies and the god damn log book! WHO TAKES A LOG BOOK!?

I went to Honda and they slugged me $350 for a new actuator fitted. Not happy Jan!

vtec_jet
30-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeh this happened to my 99 CK accord.

I couldn't see or get my hands near the central locking system, so i had to get a professional to look at it.

I thought it would be just a one off thing, but it seems its quiet common for the front Passenger side central locking to fail.

dupac->
30-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah i got the same problem in my 04 aswell

pos

PANJAB
10-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah i got the same problem in my 04 aswell

pos

happened on my 2005 vti, front left passenger side door lock is f*kd, does not respond to remote key, maybe we should all get together and write to HONDA AUSTRALIA and complain of the defect, I know FORD repaired front brake's for free after they kept on failing and the fault was found to be a company defect, well luckily I am under warranty till 2010, so i am going to ask the dealer to look at it, so shoudl i check if they have the acutator in stock before booking in for service? as it's probably the culprit...i am thinking CHEAP THAILAND manufactured accord's showing signs of cost cutting???

aaronng
10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
happened on my 2005 vti, front left passenger side door lock is f*kd, does not respond to remote key, maybe we should all get together and write to HONDA AUSTRALIA and complain of the defect, I know FORD repaired front brake's for free after they kept on failing and the fault was found to be a company defect, well luckily I am under warranty till 2010, so i am going to ask the dealer to look at it, so shoudl i check if they have the acutator in stock before booking in for service? as it's probably the culprit...i am thinking CHEAP THAILAND manufactured accord's showing signs of cost cutting???

It happens also to the Accord Euros made in Japan. So I don't think it is a Thailand thing. The components are just not of good enough quality.

boggyhole
21-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Yep Euro Driver's door actuator failed $218 for the part plus $95 for fitting by dealer. Hmm!!

dupac->
22-01-2010, 08:24 AM
get it replaced for $80.. my mate got it done.. aftermarket part + labour.. with this who gives a shit if its genuine or not, because genuine seems to be failing harder than aftermarket parts. for a problem that is this common honda should really look into it
aaronng edit: No need to use that sort of language here.

rhce7320
23-01-2010, 09:11 PM
My drivers side door lock is now operating noticeably slower than the other 3. I wonder if this is an indicator of imminent failure?

aaronng
24-01-2010, 09:23 AM
My drivers side door lock is now operating noticeably slower than the other 3. I wonder if this is an indicator of imminent failure?

Mine has also been like this for 4 years. Hasn't failed yet though but it does feel sticky the first time you operate the driver's side lock. If you do it a 2nd time it moves fine. Mine is also a 2004.

Simonnn
24-01-2010, 03:40 PM
There is a thread about this with instructions on replacing the actuators here: [CL9] Wheel hub & window actuator replacement (http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126595), and diagrams on removing the door trims here: Door lock problem (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51751&highlight=actuator) :p

boggyhole
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Yep, go onto ebay and buy the actuator for around $100 and fit it yourself. It was easy and while a number of people said don't do it coz you'll damage the door panel, I went ahead anyway and it took me about 30 mins to get out, once you find the hidden screws. This was for the driver's door, so had less hidden screws than passenger doors. Was a little fiddly to get out, and you needed to ensure the window was up as you had to undo the window channel bolt to allow the removal of the entire door lock assembly. Remember to connect the internal door handle back up again, I forgot and then had to take the panel off again doh! Putting the assembly all back in was a little fiddly too, but once all connected works like a dream. Feel like having a real car again!

wazza7
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Both my front doors are unresponsive since i got my euro a year ago, i diddnt think to check tht everything works, i was to stoked by the car.lol. so ive been usin the key to open it but now tht has bloody failed too. the key doesnt turn in the lock. now i have to open rear doors and reach round every time to get in!!!

mattchuej8
20-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Bringing up an old thread,
Do general mechanics fix this? i dont want to bring mind to dealer too expensive i have no money i just bought rims >< lol.
Average price range from you guys would help too.
full spewing i went maccers after gym with a mate and the car front passenger didnt open/lock. --' mofo.

mofolo
18-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I sent a very direct email to Honda in regards to this issue. It's a joke. I can't believe they want to slug me ~$700 to get my doors fixed (thats right, the actuators are F`ed on both sides).

I'm not paying for something that is a direct fault of the factory. You'd think their reporting system would indicate a problem with the actuators. Sounds like negligence to me.

dupac->
19-06-2010, 11:49 PM
yeah u can fix this without having to go to honda.
aftermarket replacements are available.

on going problems with the actutators... very common...
so glad ive sold mine.. onto a car with much LESS problems from factory.

Phased
20-06-2010, 12:18 AM
yeah u can fix this without having to go to honda.
aftermarket replacements are available.

on going problems with the actutators... very common...
so glad ive sold mine.. onto a car with much LESS problems from factory.

Do you find the Subaru's are more reliable than the "modern" Honda's? (As my next car will most likely be a Spec. B Liberty) I owned a WRX (Differant story even when not considering it's turbo), Had an abundance of issues, although it always started and ran. Piston slap in the turbo (mainly EJ20T) Subaru's is the most Mind Screwing thing a car has ever done to me... haha... thought I spun a bearing on a trip where I didn't go past 3,500rpm with a full dipstick of Group IV oil! Until I realized what it actually was, I was about to RAGE!

I sent a very direct email to Honda in regards to this issue. It's a joke. I can't believe they want to slug me ~$700 to get my doors fixed (thats right, the actuators are F`ed on both sides).

I'm not paying for something that is a direct fault of the factory. You'd think their reporting system would indicate a problem with the actuators. Sounds like negligence to me.

$700?!?!?!?! Feck that! Door lock actuators (front) are $176ea trade... Even if you aren't THAT handy... max it will take you is an Hour per door... MAXIMUM. A good mechanic Auto' or elec' will charge you MAX of 2 hours labour, most likely one. (based on $70-80 per hour...)

I changed my passengers one about 6 months ago (roughly; I would have to check the receipts) and still goes as perfect. My drivers one is very lazy though... so I always check it's locked. The indicators won't flash if the door doesn't lock, though. The accord euro is a fantastic value for money car, but it's came to peoples attention that it's for a reason! What happened to the "GOOD OLD Honda's"?!?!

dupac->
20-06-2010, 12:01 PM
my forester gt has given me no troubles at all. havent had it for that long.. but my euro was the biggest regret ever. just the car overall i wasnt happy with. and then the little problems.. that annoy you.
it always started and all that and never broke down on me..
but somtimes its the little things that pisses you off the most?

AznDragon1234
21-06-2010, 06:52 PM
wow lucky i dont have 04 model mine 06 LUX xDDD

mattchuej8
21-06-2010, 06:56 PM
i got mine quoted for 315. one side.
Sunnuholt rd Blacktown.

mofolo
07-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Join the Campaign:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?135734-MUST-SEE-Euro-04-Door-Lock-Autuator-Central-Locking-issue

travisg
15-09-2010, 06:58 PM
sorry to drag out an old thread but thought my experience might help and save a few of you a buck...bought my 03 lux 2 wks ago only to realise the front passenger lock wasn't working,pulled the mechanism out which took bout 20 mins...detached the actuator.i found it has a seal which i pried open and found a little 12volt motor inside.it has a metal casing on one side with 2 bent tags...after opening i noticed it was clogged with crap.i gave it a good clean with turps and a brush,blew it out with the compressor,bolted it back together.and now its working fine.the whole job took about 1hr.

mattchuej8
15-09-2010, 07:08 PM
interesting. hope my one was just dirty --'

anyway. i picked up the actuator for $60 on ebay(genuine) and took it to my local auto electrician which charged my $70. maybe a little deer idk. but thats only $130 for everything. compared to $300+ honda charges. just for anyone elses future reference.