PDA

View Full Version : Power window slightly sticking

shebangs
24-02-2009, 11:23 PM
How do I fix my power windows on my EG?

They don't appear as smooth as they once were. The driver especially, almost stops on the way down. Going up appears fine. Up or down the motor is definitely doing more work than it should be (you can hear it).

I was hoping to clear it up before I sound deaden the doors.

Swoit

shadou
24-02-2009, 11:56 PM
you get a can of silicone spray from your local auto shop and spray both rubber guides, others use some sort of a powder but silicon spray faster and cheaper..

CRXDEL501
25-02-2009, 12:30 AM
silicon spray is definitely the way to go.

Davo
26-02-2009, 07:21 AM
also get into where the gear is on the motor and get some grease in there. also just lightly a little bit of grease on the rail where the window sits in the door.
silicon spray is good but grease is slightly better.

DvS-
26-02-2009, 08:46 AM
i sprayed some silicone spray, after that it was all good :)

Slaz
26-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Spray more often then not works, but as the tracks get worse its a good idea to replace the track liners with new ones, as over time, you flog the winder motor as it struggles to get them up against the friction on the tracks, then your up for doing both.

shebangs
26-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Spray more often then not works, but as the tracks get worse its a good idea to replace the track liners with new ones, as over time, you flog the winder motor as it struggles to get them up against the friction on the tracks, then your up for doing both.

Would this also be linked to the alignment of the window being off?

Slowly, over time my window is getting out of alignment. I know this because my tint is not shifting weirdly.

So maybe I could taken two birds with one stone by replacing the tracks. Is this expensive? And more importantly, will this damage the tint?

DvSnGuYeN
26-02-2009, 10:19 AM
i find it's better to use graphite powder, as silicone spray attracts dust and dirt, resulting in a build up... graphite powder isn't wet and pretty simple to use, usualy comes in a bottle with a nozzle, just squirt it!... lol

CRXDEL501
26-02-2009, 10:40 AM
i find it's better to use graphite powder, as silicone spray attracts dust and dirt, resulting in a build up... graphite powder isn't wet and pretty simple to use, usualy comes in a bottle with a nozzle, just squirt it!... lol

that sounds good ay
i might try that next time
you can get it from just super cheap or autobarn?

Slaz
26-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Would this also be linked to the alignment of the window being off?

Slowly, over time my window is getting out of alignment. I know this because my tint is not shifting weirdly.

So maybe I could taken two birds with one stone by replacing the tracks. Is this expensive? And more importantly, will this damage the tint?

Yes, when the tracks wear out the window can rock from side to side and get jammed and you can see wher it hasnt been tinted due to be out.

Not sure on tracks, best call honda on that, they are like new once replaced.

shebangs
26-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Yes, when the tracks wear out the window can rock from side to side and get jammed and you can see wher it hasnt been tinted due to be out.

Not sure on tracks, best call honda on that, they are like new once replaced.

Cheers. Anyone know who I'd go to to get this fixed? Smash repairs?

civichack
26-02-2009, 02:41 PM
There is also a spray-on teflon lubricant which only uses a solvent to carry the powder. Once sprayed on it dries fast and stays on. It doesn't rub off on everything like graphite either.

But if the problem is that the window can get cocked in the rails, perhaps a closer inspection might help a bit. You might find that some of the bolts securing the rails to the door are loose, or the rails have worked themselves loose or moved slightly, or the lifting mechanism has moved, which is enough to cause no end of trouble. I am saying that because I have seen cars where the problem occurred when the cars were rather new, so wear of the lining was not the issue. Restoring the mechanism to its former glory takes a lot of trial and error, so you need to be patient and make sure everything works fine before you put all those pesky door trim bits back on.

~Sp33~
26-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Silicon spray is a real short term benefit, as already mentioned it attracts dust and eventually your windows will be worse.

Slaz
26-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Cheers. Anyone know who I'd go to to get this fixed? Smash repairs?

Anyone with half a clue, its not that hard a job, honda will do it for a fee aswell, a big fee.

Make sure you definate in what is worn between the side tracks or the rubber seal that runs around the top of the door frame, normally it is this that goes 1st, if the window is easy to go down but not up, then it is normally the seal, if it is in both directions and the window cocks in both directions as in left and right, you can assume its the tracks, if its the seal it also tens to make a noise like rubber screehing, if thats make sense.