PDA

View Full Version : DC2 Type R exhaust on a VTIR

Shraka
25-02-2009, 10:53 AM
My current VTIR exhaust has a non standard resonator which sounds really drony, and makes some terrible rattling sounds sometimes.

I'm looking at getting a Type R exhaust from cat to muffler. Just wondering if this will fit directly onto my VTIR front pipe, or if I'll need to modify anything?

I've read some stuff saying that they are the same sized exhaust, while other articles show them to be different. Can anyone clear this up?

P.S. I did a search but couldn't find this information.

yourfather
25-02-2009, 10:55 AM
they are different sized diameter pipes

Shraka
25-02-2009, 11:04 AM
they are different sized diameter pipes

That's disappointing. I assume that means the cat would need modification to fit onto the front pipe then? Perhaps I should see if I can grab a VTiR exhaust then, rather than the Type R one.

Thanks for your help.

90LAN
25-02-2009, 03:26 PM
best to get the whole lot headers cat and cat back to make it easier
or u will have to extend the type r b pipe to suit your vtir cat
because they have diff size cats dc2r one is longer and vtir is shorter

yourfather
25-02-2009, 03:26 PM
That's disappointing. I assume that means the cat would need modification to fit onto the front pipe then? Perhaps I should see if I can grab a VTiR exhaust then, rather than the Type R one.

Thanks for your help.

it isn't massively different, maybe the exhaust shop can come up with some form of connector

90LAN
25-02-2009, 03:41 PM
the diff is ones stainless and the others mild steel

Shraka
25-02-2009, 03:42 PM
0 - 100 in 7.3 ? ? ? i didnt think their that quick?

That's with a passenger too, on a Gtech. The guy in the passenger seat (owner of the gtech) said with a bit of practice I should be able to get it down to 7.0. I haven't had the opportunity to try with a gtech or on the track since then though.

Mine is the fastest VTiR I've ever come across, and completely stock (apart from that silly resonator - which I hate - and the top tank for the radiator - because the stock one exploded).

it isn't massively different, maybe the exhaust shop can come up with some form of connector

I was gonna mount it up myself. I don't wanna move the exhausts tune point either. I really like my car the way it is... except the suspension, which I already have some Type R dampers and springs to replace the slowly dying stock units with. :D

the diff is ones stainless and the others mild steel

Hmm. I'm not sure if that's going to give me any real performance bonus. Would be nice to have something that's less likely to rust though. I'm just a bit worried about the change in exhaust throwing my peak torque point out.

Tegzieboi_BAR
26-02-2009, 02:09 PM
lol i pulled a 7.34 in my pretty much stock gsi with a g-tech after a few attempts.

Shraka
11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
best to get the whole lot headers cat and cat back to make it easier
or u will have to extend the type r b pipe to suit your vtir cat
because they have diff size cats dc2r one is longer and vtir is shorter

Oh, I was planning on getting the Type R cat with the exhaust. Does that make life easier / harder?

90LAN
11-03-2009, 11:42 AM
well it would be plug and play
if u had everything
so you wouldnt have to take to exhaust shop to get anything don e
fit it at home

Shraka
11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
well it would be plug and play
if u had everything
so you wouldnt have to take to exhaust shop to get anything don e
fit it at home

Would it mate up to my VTiR extractors without modification though? If it'll fit fine I will do it at home.

90LAN
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Would it mate up to my VTiR extractors without modification though? If it'll fit fine I will do it at home.

i dont think they will line up because of the diff size cats
can some one confirm ?

F.O.B Squad
12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Do you have the ITR exhaust already? If not theres a guy selling the whole set from headers to muffler. Negotiable too :D

Shraka
13-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Naw, I don't have one FOB Squad. If I did I'd just have a look to see if it'd fit! :D I don't wanna buy it if it's not gonna work out.

I don't really want to get ITR headers. I'm trying not to destroy the balance of my engine. I really like it the way it is now (except I'd like a stainless exhaust, and a mid pipe that didn't rattle around like there's marbles in it).

votek
13-03-2009, 03:16 PM
how would getting ITR headers destroy the balance of the engine

johnny5
17-03-2009, 08:58 PM
i recently changed my stock dc2 vti-r catback to a AUDM ITR catback without any major problems... only hiccup was that the ITR exhaust needed to be cut (as it was a bit too long) and rewelded back to the cat.

Vti-r exhaust is 2" and ITR is 2.25". I used to get quite a bit of back pressure as i had custom headers and stock catback... after changing to ITR catback i find it SO MUCH BETTER NOW! :)

VTECMACHINE
18-03-2009, 02:33 AM

Spontanious combustion inside cylinder 3 causing excess carbon build up on the piston head, thus upsetting total engine balance. Only cure is a Motec exhaust.

Shraka
18-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Type R headers are tuned for a different RPM than VTiR headers. They're also not designed with VVIS in mind.

typer00
19-03-2009, 12:15 PM
ive had my dc2 type r exhaust fitted to my gf's 96 gsi for the past 14 months, havent had any problems whatsoever.

Shraka
20-03-2009, 09:21 AM
ive had my dc2 type r exhaust fitted to my gf's 96 gsi for the past 14 months, havent had any problems whatsoever.

Would your girlfriend notice a slight difference in torque delivery? I would.

90LAN
20-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Would your girlfriend notice a slight difference in torque delivery? I would.

u must have very sensitive senses

VTECMACHINE
21-03-2009, 12:45 PM

hahahahaha... lol

Shraka
24-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Apparently more sensitive than yours.

90LAN
25-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Apparently more sensitive than yours.

not sensitive enough to know what type of exhaust matches your balanced engine

EK1.6LCIV
25-03-2009, 03:57 PM
reply #4 is right :D

because if you had to go to the trouble to mod the exhaust to fit, you'd be better off getting an exhaust place to build you a system

VTECMACHINE
26-03-2009, 11:19 AM
But you have to be careful not to upset the balence of the engine. So building your own exhaust/headers might be a bad thing.

Shraka
27-03-2009, 12:52 PM
not sensitive enough to know what type of exhaust matches your balanced engine

That doesn't even make any sense.

Also, try to stay on topic.

Bludger
28-03-2009, 11:59 AM
That doesn't even make any sense.

Also, try to stay on topic.mate, i think you're being a bit too anal of your oem engine. Seriously, its just a pipe that carries out the exhaust gas to the back of the car. even if you did notice the difference, it would be very marginal and its not be the end of the world.

if you're so concerned about it, just go get the exact same exhaust made up or look for one.

easy as that.

The problem is that everyone thinks its not gonna make too much of a difference and you do.
Its just what you don't want to hear, so go do it your own way.

good luck

Shraka
30-03-2009, 01:23 PM
mate, i think you're being a bit too anal of your oem engine. Seriously, its just a pipe that carries out the exhaust gas to the back of the car. even if you did notice the difference, it would be very marginal and its not be the end of the world.
Meh, I didn't ask for people's opinions on what I should do to the car. I asked if the Type R cat back fits onto the VTiR extractors without modification. I know what I want to do to my car, I just want to know if it'll work without having to buy a Type R Cat back and testing it myself.

if you're so concerned about it, just go get the exact same exhaust made up or look for one.
I might, but I've been burned by exhaust shops before. The current resonator rattle and drone is caused by a crappy job done by my last exhaust shop.

The problem is that everyone thinks its not gonna make too much of a difference and you do.
Its just what you don't want to hear, so go do it your own way.
I don't want to go backwards if I can help it. These things have stuff all torque as it is, so I'd hate to loose any. Again though, I didn't ask for people's opinions on the matter, I just asked about fit. You guys can offer opinions all you like, but I reserve the right to think you're wrong.

good luck
Cheers.

zropts
05-04-2009, 09:25 PM
YES! The DC2R catback exhaust does fit with stock VTIR headers but you will need the DC2R or any aftermarket hi flow cat as these cat is abit shorter than VTIR. Done this to my dc2 a while back cause of EPA. All parts are STRAIGHT BOLT ON if you can access under your car. No hassles of cutting or welding parts!

Gains a little in power over mid range (noticeable at start), tad louder than VTIR exhaust (under EPA restricitions - which I got 87db) and acceleration is much smoother.

Good luck!

Bludger
05-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I might, but I've been burned by exhaust shops before. The current resonator rattle and drone is caused by a crappy job done by my last exhaust shop.
Hey man, I'm with you all the way on this one.
I never take my car to the shop if I can help it. But sometimes there are things that you just can't do by yourself. Just have to go on recommendation or risk it looking for a good workshop.

good luck again.

Shraka
09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
YES! The DC2R catback exhaust does fit with stock VTIR headers but you will need the DC2R or any aftermarket hi flow cat as these cat is abit shorter than VTIR. Done this to my dc2 a while back cause of EPA. All parts are STRAIGHT BOLT ON if you can access under your car. No hassles of cutting or welding parts!

Gains a little in power over mid range (noticeable at start), tad louder than VTIR exhaust (under EPA restricitions - which I got 87db) and acceleration is much smoother.

Good luck!

Swoit! Thank you!

duckey
21-04-2009, 01:25 AM
hahaha i rekon aye notices everything