PDA

View Full Version : 20 second delay for searching

tiksie
25-02-2009, 12:38 PM
What is the point of this ? Seriously ?

This site has waiting time for nearly everything you do!

I don't care about waiting time in between posts and waiting 2 whole minutes just to PM people but why does it have to also be on the search function ?

It's bad as it is that it cuts out nearly every word you use when you HAVE to be specific and waiting 20 seconds just to do another search is ridiculous.

/rant

bennjamin
25-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Wait for Wynodes exact reply , but to let you know the reason for such restrictions is to ease the load on the site host. There is a fair amount of traffic on ozhonda so we implement such limits to avoid excess issues.

Im sure if others agree , we can reduce the wait for this. Please wait for Wynodes official statement in regards to this thanks.

wynode
25-02-2009, 09:24 PM
As Ben mentioned........searching is a very resource intensive process. If we reduce the search time then there is a possibility that the site could be down during peak times. It's kept at 20sec to ensure stability for everyone.

tiksie
27-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Would you be able to increase the time for PM's by 20 seconds and get rid of the 20 sec delay for Searching ? Or is it totally different ?

Cheers,
Aytac

hotdc2
28-02-2009, 03:46 AM
tiksie, my understanding of it is that It's totally different. The search function not only gets used alot more than the PM function during peak times, however as Wynode said previously, it is also resource intensive. This meaning that for you to search the entire forum for a single word, it puts load on the server. This may be fine for 1 or 2 people to do at a time, but say 100 people are using the search function during a peak period, the load can become unbearable and the server could crash. The 20 seconds you wait in between searching is no different, if not better than the lag you would experience If everyone on the forum (slight exaggeration) clicked "search" at once..

bennjamin
28-02-2009, 09:14 AM
....and if everyone clicks on "newposts" every time they log on , its an incredible larger strain than simply searching too. This is a free forum guys Wynode does his best to provide a happy average all around.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
28-02-2009, 09:17 AM
....and if everyone clicks on "newposts" every time they log on , its an incredible larger strain than simply searching too. This is a free forum guys Wynode does his best to provide a happy average all around.

hahahhahaaa-

Like me.

i_own_you
01-03-2009, 11:40 PM
well atleast its 20 seconds now. last time i brought this up, i think it was more than 30 seconds? (not sure?!??)

dsp26
03-03-2009, 07:53 AM
i know i said this in the last 2 threads like this but... even for the supporting members?

technically supporting members are supporting upkeep of servers right? i would gladly trade my Inbox space and all other benefits for no lag time on search

flipfire
03-03-2009, 08:38 PM
The 20sec delay is there for a good reason unfortunately.

When this forum gets bigger (approx around 2 million posts), the default search engine wont be able to keep up and it will choke and crash the forums.

You need to use Sphinx search engine after that and/or add a google forum search (prefixed search "site:www.ozhonda.com/forum"). I think it is a good idea to add the google site search right now

For more complex searches, Google will trump MySQL FullText search every time, there are no heuristics built-into MySQL search, just searches on exactly what you type in.

oh btw, the mods dont get a time delay :)

SHOGUNOVDDRK
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
i know i said this in the last 2 threads like this but... even for the supporting members?

technically supporting members are supporting upkeep of servers right? i would gladly trade my Inbox space and all other benefits for no lag time on search

Don't even kid about that...

woah...really?

/sarcasm

bennjamin
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
The 20sec delay is there for a good reason unfortunately.

When this forum gets bigger (approx around 2 million posts), the default search engine wont be able to keep up and it will choke and crash the forums.

You need to use Sphinx search engine after that and/or add a google forum search (prefixed search "site:www.ozhonda.com/forum"). I think it is a good idea to add the google site search right now

For more complex searches, Google will trump MySQL FullText search every time, there are no heuristics built-into MySQL search, just searches on exactly what you type in.

Mr NBR super duper moderator - thankyou for the insight. Feel free to bring up such technical suggestions directly to Wynode. I assume you know how to pm :)
How long has such a system been implemented on the site you moderate ? Known decline in server load ?

flipfire
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
lol Glad to see your elite searching skillzz. I do not think its necessary yet, but it might be something to look into in the near future.

We kinda implemented it late, at like 2.3 million posts the forum was crashing every 30mins that search had to disabled for a while.

After Sphinx search was added and optimizations (Removed Apache, added custom Nginx and PHP RPM's). The 1000 user parallel 10 second stress test gave us a whopping 320% overall increase in performance (63 fetches/s @1.56mbps). So unless 1000 users can each open more than 63 forum pages per second then the server will cope fine. Also search has been a breeze.

bennjamin
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
good to see ill bring it up with the boss.

Gio
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM

I don't think so man, i'm sure that they contribute but have you noticed the advertisements on Ozhonda?

Wynode would get a cut based on how many people click on each of the advertisements...

Q_ball
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think so man, i'm sure that they contribute but have you noticed the advertisements on Ozhonda?

Wynode would get a cut based on how many people click on each of the advertisements...

It doesnt work that way.
The advertiser isnt paying Ozhonda to advertise on our forums.

wynode
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Cheers for the comments all........I believe the fulltext search is sufficient for now and we have already reduced the time from 30sec to 20. I will look at other alternatives though. Problem with Google search is that it is not very customisable.

Actually no.......being an Ozhonda subscriber gives you extra features like larger PM box, attachments etc. Relying just on these contributions is not sufficient to pay the hosting costs :)

flipfire
06-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Btw we also reduced the strain on search by running a vB hack that closes threads that has been inactive for 2 years so search omitted it. It also prevented necroposting.

We also reduced the New Posts returns from 20 to 10 pages.

(not that im telling you how to run your forum, just suggestions)

trism
07-03-2009, 08:48 PM
yeah, thread mining 2 year old threads is for the lose

krogoth
10-03-2009, 09:35 PM
^no it isnt

this site is more than 5 years old now

the last 2 years of threads are pretty shit compared to the older stuff in some cases

and VB hacks arent feasible as they weaken the overall integrity of the website, opening up security holes

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Krogoth you forgot to ask for a certain thread..