PDA

View Full Version : Suspension bolt problem.

RtN
26-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey, I was trying to install my N+ however im unable to take the stock suspension bolt off because it just keeps spinning? So yeh.. anyone have any idea?

Oh also I have to replace the nut and bolt because the N+ doesnt have a welded on nut, anyone know the specs to the bolt/nut?

DvS-
26-02-2009, 03:24 PM
is the nut rounded or ...?
when the nut for my stock suspension on my 180 was rounded i just chopped the damn thing off with an angle grinder.. not like i needed it anymore.. (was installing coilovers)..
lol.. diy..

note: do it at your own risk.

RtN
26-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Umm im not sure if its rounded... the nut is like welded onto the stock suspension and you cant see inside the nut obviously... so i dunno if its rounded.. but its probably the case.. hmm damnit. dunno how to solve that... so i have to angle grind the stock nut?

geeang
26-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Unscrew the bolt till it just sits there and spins, then you yank it out cause its already at the end of the thread and it's just the weight of the suspension holding it there.

SiReal
26-02-2009, 03:46 PM
not sure if ur referring to this:

applies to the fronts. the rears usually have the nut welded on.

http://tech.ozhonda.com/diy/sireal/front021xd.jpg

if its fronts, u need to get a spanner to hold the nut still whilst u use a ratchet/whatever to undo the bolt.

So, one hand hold the spanner in place, the other hand spin the rachet. should be 17mm for both

RtN
26-02-2009, 03:47 PM
oh okay.. but it doesnt move out at all because it spins right from the start of trying to take it out... but ok yeh ill try jack up the lca so it's straight.

and thanks sireal, but its the rears.

SiReal
26-02-2009, 03:48 PM
yeah, thats right. no need to jack up the lca or what not, just hold the nut still with the spanner and use the ratcher for the bolt head.

then u have to wiggle the LCA up and down to pull the bolt out.

ive done integras civics and accords . its the same everytime.

EDIT: its the rears, oh. well maybe the welded nut broke. .. just hold it in place and see if that works.

if the thread is rounded, u might be able to pull the bolt up by wiggling the LCA up and down

also, u may need to get a new LCA bolt.

Red_EG4
26-02-2009, 03:51 PM
oh okay.. but it doesnt move out at all because it spins right from the start of trying to take it out... but ok yeh ill try jack up the lca so it's straight.

and thanks sireal, but its the rears.

yep jack up the LCA and hit the bolt with a hammer, if that doesn't work get a bigger hammer :p
I think the Nut is an M12X1.5 thread, I just got a nyloc nut for mine. You can take the bolt into a bolt store and they'll be able to work it out.

RtN
26-02-2009, 04:21 PM
hmm cant seem to get it out.. maybe im too weak or something LOL. Argh i'll just let Good Performance Centre deal with the rear 2moro.. and ill try put the fronts in tomorrow myself first.

SiReal
26-02-2009, 04:30 PM
hehe thats the way :thumbsup:

may as well pay them to do the whole job. should only cost $120.

RtN
26-02-2009, 04:44 PM
nah whole job they charging me about 180 GG im like how abt just rears.. then it sounded better haha.

RtN
27-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmm might give it a go again actually ROFL.. oh yeh the bolt to be replaced.. it has to be high tensile right?

SiReal
27-02-2009, 10:53 AM
definitely.

bennjamin
27-02-2009, 11:19 AM
i would of charged ya half of that. And done it properly and taught you how to do it at the same time lol.

Which exact bolt are you replacing ?

RtN
27-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys. And the winner is Angle Grinder!!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/RtN89/27022009601.jpg

Trouble GONE!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/RtN89/27022009600.jpg

Result: Happiness

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/RtN89/27022009598.jpg

well not really as its not low enough haha.. about half finger gap all round

and yeh ben I thought you quit that DIY stuff lol umm i replaced the Suspension Bolt and Nut with the Champion High Tensile Bolt and Nut.

SiReal
27-02-2009, 09:46 PM
congrats dude!!

vinnY
27-02-2009, 09:46 PM
wait a minute.. couldn't you just use vice grips or an adjustable wrench to hold that square nut that broke off the shock and taken out the bolt?

RtN
27-02-2009, 09:51 PM
wait a minute.. couldn't you just use vice grips or an adjustable wrench to hold that square nut that broke off the shock and taken out the bolt?

it's not square, its like hexagonal but anyway umm nah the problem wasnt that the welded nut was spinning.. its welded onto the sussy.. its just whenever I spin the bolt it just keeps spinning and wouldn't move out. And despite how many times we tried whacking it.... Jacking it up and whacking it... and pulling and levering.. wudn't budge...

Thanks to anthony, geo (ig3o), vuongkong, VUONG, and dat for helping.. LOL

bennjamin
27-02-2009, 10:05 PM
lol you guys had no idea....hit it like a bunch of angry monkeys !

jokes aside , the probable reason it wouldnt come out, is because the shock was pushing down onto it and it was held in place by the lower control arm bushing. You needed to remove the OUTER bolt first (connects the LCA to the trailing arm/brake) - pull it up then there is alittle less stress on the lca. Also ,if you have a rear swaybar you should remove the endlink too

RtN
27-02-2009, 10:14 PM
haha you mean this is for the fkd up side right? because the other side worked fine haha.. ah wells thanks for all the help.. maybe this thread can help others in future. I have a video of the FUN GRINDING.. but friend hasnt uploaded it yet LULz.

If any future problems I'll be sure to contact you ben lol. Oh and also you know some aftermarket coilovers like mine.. they have no welded nut so I had to buy my own one, does the nut have to be self locking?

bennjamin
27-02-2009, 10:23 PM
its best if the new nut is a nylock nut that way it will lock.
If you can find em, just use a washer below the nut and when you tighten , itshould splay the washer and grip.

RtN
27-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Ah okay I think I also need to get a longer bolt because theres just like 2 threads sticking out of the nut atm.