PDA

View Full Version : B18c vs H22a ????

VT33EC
26-02-2009, 08:46 PM
B18c vs H22a ????

which engine makes it to the finishing line first,stock vs stock,turboed vs turboed ,Allmotor vs allmotor etc etc .mix em around abit.in the long run which engine is better,Thoughts people????

Benson
26-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Use the best of both engines - H engine and B series gearbox and you'll have yourself a good package

In the mean time, use the search function

geeang
26-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes use the search function, and probably best to use your brain.

Basically based on the same platform, B18C is 1.8L while H22A is 2.2L, which do you think would have a natural advantage in terms of performance? :P

Cvik_ryda
27-02-2009, 05:57 PM
lol calm down guys he just asking a question

VT33EC
28-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes use the search function, and probably best to use your brain.

Basically based on the same platform, B18C is 1.8L while H22A is 2.2L, which do you think would have a natural advantage in terms of performance? :P

Use my brain!! Shit people calm down,i mean honda to another honda driver,have some respect,derr B18 is 1.8 and obviously H22 is a 2.2.....i mean if you have a H22 in a civic racing another civic with a B18c obviously that the H22 powered car could win,then again if you have a B18 civic racing a H22 prelude the B18 would win,its all about the combos and mix and match,power to weigh ratio thats im on about.......an all motor B18c shits all over an allmotor H22A do you know why???? and surprisingly a turboed B18c goes harder then a turboed H22a do you know why????

OMG.JAI xD
28-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Asking too many questions mate.

As above stated. Search. In this case. Research.

The question your asking has too many answers.
Chassis, engine, mods, tune, ecu, driver, weight, tyres, gearbox, they all have a role in this "straight line" contest.

If youre talking about a dc2 vtir vs a bb6 prelude. the prelude will munch the dc2 stock vs stock with the same driver in both cars.

Both engines are designed differently.
H22a isnt a bad engine. But the B series engines were designed better i guess.
And plus, the market has more support for the b series.

As for mods. even though the h22a makes more power, it is heavier.

Its all about expenses too.

mars_panas
28-02-2009, 10:48 AM
B18c vs H22a ????

which engine makes it to the finishing line first,stock vs stock,turboed vs turboed ,Allmotor vs allmotor etc etc .mix em around abit.in the long run which engine is better,Thoughts people????

L15A will make it to the finish line faster than B18C & H22a

hope that answer ur question :D

d15z1SUX
28-02-2009, 11:27 AM
lol... especially if it has cvt :D

paps02
28-02-2009, 06:50 PM
As for mods. even though the h22a makes more power, it is heavier.

H22 is heavier by probably 30kg(quote dyno dave in some other thread)... alot of ppl are mislead by this. in terms of power, if u wikipedia, an sir h22(one that i got) is rated at 141kw at the engine, and i think the b18cr is maybe 145 with less torque. but then you have the gears of the b engine, so its hard to tell without racing... has anyone raced that can prove this to be true or not?

YBOOST
28-02-2009, 07:04 PM
my bro inlaw ran his stock as a rock bb6 and ran a 14.9! when i say stock i even mean exhaust too. only drivers seat was left in to drop some weight off the heavy bastard!

B16bcivic
29-04-2009, 02:28 PM
What really matters are the cars your going to swap the engines in.
Each engine has its different performance, it depends on what your going for.
Every engine can be mod to be fast, but the lighter your car the faster.

Your own taste bud. Mod the way you want. Any Honda car can go fast depending what you do to the engine.

dsp26
30-04-2009, 10:06 AM
B18c vs H22a ????

thats a weird question... the H22a will always win if their both put in the same chassis.

however if your question was something like will a DC2r(B18c7) beat a Prelude vti-r(H22a) then yes because the prelude is a heavy cruiser

delsol9000rpms
30-04-2009, 05:03 PM
An eg civic with a stock b18c7 conversion will beat a eg civic with a stock h22a conversion.... They have the same power, Ye the h22a has more torque on paper, but the factory gear ratios and final drive ratio are far from perfect on the h22a, compared to the b18c7 close ratio gearbox with a 4.785 final drive. This would help even out the torque field a little bit...

dsp26
30-04-2009, 05:12 PM
^^^the H2B setup is assumed as I don't know of anyone running the H drivetrain in any other chassis

FastFwd
30-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Also guys, you gotta take into consideration that you will be able to find more parts for the b18 than the h22

CRXDEL501
30-04-2009, 07:46 PM
my car pulls more than paps02 haha
sorry george haha.
B18cr ftw :D

simonnowis
30-04-2009, 08:08 PM
crxdel501 is ur b18c7 stock engine? cuz 126.4atwkw is insane!

CRXDEL501
30-04-2009, 08:22 PM
na man.
intake/headers/exhaust.. and tune.
:D its going pretty good
but got no licence mate.. lost it before i did the work.. so really im waiting another 3 months to drive it :(

90LAN
30-04-2009, 08:45 PM
well either motor will go fast if you do any mods too it
b series has more aftermarket support with parts
h22 is a good motor also
but you need to get the euro r or type s h22

MikeyG
30-04-2009, 10:25 PM
h2b setup.. h22a with b box= WIN WIN WIN

WhiteRice
03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Many opinions...

Both good motors. I have a stock H22a red top, which has very nice torque, lots of vtec kick, and sounds a bit less feral, and more refined than the b-series. Very much preferred for simple driving around town.

My main gripe is that the 5-speed box it comes with (Type S Prelude/Euro R Accord/Torneo) is just a little bit too close-ratio. Driving at motorway speeds in 5th at ~110km/h, you're sitting at 3500rpm, which just feels a little high, that the engine would be happier ticking over at 2500. It certainly has the torque to do so. The good news is that one can buy a taller final drive kit from ATS/Carbonetics, or one from Top Fuel 0-1000.

NA tuning - there are many more parts avail, more manufacturers for B series, also more competition, so it's cheaper. Modding an H series is a bit limited, but the bits are there to be located.

Turbo - I have yet to come across an off-the-shelf turbo kit for H series, where there are lots for B series. I had a chat to a very knowledgeable chap once who said that H series doesn't lend itself well to FI for some reason, unless you totally rebuild it. On the other hand, B series has been done to death, so everyone knows how to do it well.

DreadAngel
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
This thread doesn't belong here...

Move it to the noob section? Just another XXX vs XXX thread...

Why not make K20A vs K24A vs B16A vs B16B vs B18C vs H22A vs H23A? Throw in the C series and J series engines too while you're at it? Then Mild NA, Moderate NA, Heavy NA, Wild NA tuned, Single small, single medium, single large, Twin small, twin medium, twin large, Turbos or Superchargers?

Seriously think about the sort of questions you ask, search Ozhonda or Google man though most of this is commonsense/general knowledge... You ask a question thats so broad in spectrum... How many variables that can change or alter the result? =| How are we gonna answer it? Even 90Lan can't answer it all...

VT33EC
03-05-2009, 05:55 PM
mate commonsense/general knowledge you say?? ive been driving a honda for less than a few months,so your telling me as soon as a person buy a honda this commonsense/general knowledge your talking about automaticali gets applied into persons head,like an upgrade.with all respect why dont you use your brain and relise why people join forums like this......Derrrr!!! ask questions that he/she doesnt know about.you learn from the people on here that has experience on building/driving/racing etc.and keep in mind you have young drivers who dont know as much and just wants to learn and know things such as myself without gettin smart alecs negativity,do you drive a honda? defeats the purpose of joining a honda club/forum when you dont drive one.seriously man,what is a good question,coming from inexperience begginers like me?its just curiousity mate.

Why not make K20A vs K24A vs B16A vs B16B vs B18C vs H22A vs H23A? Throw in the C series and J series engines too while you're at it? Then Mild NA, Moderate NA, Heavy NA, Wild NA tuned, Single small, single medium, single large, Twin small, twin medium, twin large, Turbos or Superchargers?

Seriously think about the sort of questions you ask, search Ozhonda or Google man though most of this is commonsense/general knowledge... You ask a question thats so broad in spectrum... How many variables that can change or alter the result? =| How are we gonna answer it? Even 90Lan can't answer it all...

DreadAngel
03-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Bro, you're not listening...

Why don't you use your brain and eyes and read what I'm telling you...

You can ask a question fine, but what you're asking doesn't have an answer cause of the number variables. Try being more specific instead of...

B18c vs H22a ????

I can give you so many different things it'll make your head spin =| You don't have to drive a Honda or owned one for X amount of times. If you use just common sense like I told you before, you'll know the answer to your question already.

Happy viewing (http://forum.pulsar.org.au//Posting.swf) + Search (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2968625) or Google (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=B18C+vs+H22A&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=) man...

I'm telling you this so you'll have an easier time on Ozhonda, **** why did I bother aye? :) Respect is earned not given, Honda to Honda owner right? You'll lose respect with Ozhonda guys if you don't do the ground work beforehand. They don't like spoon feeding unless they're bored as or you tingled a nerve with them.

Btw don't assume stuff about me, I've owned a Honda before and Hondas been through the family before too :)

FastFwd
04-05-2009, 10:54 AM

I understand where your getting at dread but theres no need to snap sarcastically like you did. It would have been easier for your self and him just to say "the question your asking is to broad and unless you want specifics try the search option on the forum"

People like you scare new ozhonda members away. Next time think before you speak.

joe.teg
04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I understand where your getting at dread but theres no need to snap sarcastically like you did. It would have been easier for your self and him just to say "the question your asking is to broad and unless you want specifics try the search option on the forum"

People like you scare new ozhonda members away. Next time think before you speak.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone with a little common sence and patience

FastFwd
04-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Cheers joe.teg

joe.teg
04-05-2009, 05:23 PM
no probs
im a fan of making people feel welcome and people like DreadAngel give the forums a bad name
Lucky VT33eC can stand up for himself aye... good on ya mate

VT33EC
04-05-2009, 07:37 PM
thank fellas,it kinda gets to ya when your passionate about something like my hondas, and your new to a group,like i am, and you get brought down by a person,specially coming from a guy who doesnt even own a honda.....honda drivers stick together.lol...respect

no probs
im a fan of making people feel welcome and people like DreadAngel give the forums a bad name
Lucky VT33eC can stand up for himself aye... good on ya mate

joe.teg
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
no probs,
where all mates here and were here to help, i havnt been a member on these forums for very long but ive learnt a lot from the quality advice that is given, i wasnt into hondas much but i am now and i owe it to the guys and girls on the forum and thankfully ive havnt had any smart A**es come my way, there are a few bad apples but they dont show their faces much, dont be discouraged, everyone here love to answer everyones questions and get their questions answered :D:D

VT33EC
04-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Bro, you're not listening...

Why don't you use your brain and eyes and read what I'm telling you...

You can ask a question fine, but what you're asking doesn't have an answer cause of the number variables. Try being more specific instead of...

I can give you so many different things it'll make your head spin =| You don't have to drive a Honda or owned one for X amount of times. If you use just common sense like I told you before, you'll know the answer to your question already.

Happy viewing (http://forum.pulsar.org.au//Posting.swf) + Search (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2968625) or Google (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=B18C+vs+H22A&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=) man...

I'm telling you this so you'll have an easier time on Ozhonda, **** why did I bother aye? :) Respect is earned not given, Honda to Honda owner right? You'll lose respect with Ozhonda guys if you don't do the ground work beforehand. They don't like spoon feeding unless they're bored as or you tingled a nerve with them.

Btw don't assume stuff about me, I've owned a Honda before and Hondas been through the family before too :)

bro your telling me this...."so i have an easier time on ozhonda"....man youve tried rubbing my face in dirt allready,what is easy about that,...and again ill ask you.....what is a good question,coming from inexperience begginers like me?its just curiousity to new comers.try to bring me down and ill back myself up,we can go all day,uve made the thread dirty allready,so as a bigger man ill stop.but to finish off the question cant get any more easier,i dont want no little fine details like what your on about with your variations,the main title has b18 vs h22,no other engine that you went on about....its simple...a stock b18 vs a stock h22....a turboed b18 vs turboed h22....all motor b18 vs allmotor h22,as a begginer i would not have clue which is better hence starting this thread,...and the way i see it mate you drive a honda you stick with honda.

joe.teg
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
bro your telling me this...."so i have an easier time on ozhonda"....man youve tried rubbing my face in dirt allready,what is easy about that,...and again ill ask you.....what is a good question,coming from inexperience begginers like me?its just curiousity to new comers.try to bring me down and ill back myself up,we can go all day,uve made the thread dirty allready,so as a bigger man ill stop.but to finish off the question cant get any more easier,i dont want no little fine details like what your on about with your variations,the main title has b18 vs h22,no other engine that you went on about....its simple...a stock b18 vs a stock h22....a turboed b18 vs turboed h22....all motor b18 vs allmotor h22,as a begginer i would not have clue which is better hence starting this thread,...and the way i see it mate you drive a honda you stick with honda.

GO YOU BROTHER.

to answer yur question the H22A has the displacement advantage, with the more power and the more toque but the prelude weighs a lot more than a dc2r, dc2 vtir or civics etc, hence why my money is on the b18c motor. Turbo and all motor is near impossible to tell because of the extent of the modifications is unknown...
Hope that helps :D

VT18EC
04-05-2009, 09:03 PM

DAMN!gloves are off haha,u start fight everwhere you go bra, dreadangel just back down now,my boy here will go all day.ha:zip:

firstly im assuimn ur talking about no engine conversions rite,meaning b18 stay where it ments to be in an integra and h22 in a prelude? ?

so my opinion to keep the thread clean, b18 stock will be beatin by a h22 in the long run but the b18 has a good gear ratio,as u no bro weve raced and ive smashed you many time,ur lude has a fat arse,to heavy n chunky haha! jokes:p

turbo b18 vs h22,pretty much same principle power to weight ratio seems to be the go,ive heard of b18 makin 800 horsepower with a major over haul work on the engine with a steriod snail attached to it but heck im a B series guy so ill say the B18,as ive never seen a turboed h22 yet and how they go

b18 allmotor vs h22 allmotor, id go with b18,so many after market parts,like wat angel boy was on about, haha

im a B18 guy,not dissing h22 engines,theyre a good engine specialy being put in lite chiassis car,like hi comps civic drag car,thats a monster!

Thats my 2 cents.

hotdc2
04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Good on you for sticking up for yourself dude :thumbsup:

joe.teg
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
i know right
people need to be shown whos boss

VT18EC
04-05-2009, 09:35 PM
show angel boy to pick on a newcomers!lol,theres seems to be alot of us,gud to see:thumbsup:

FastFwd
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Guys just to put in some more input, ive been here a while and ive gone from NA to turbo in a few different motors e.g b18 b16, h22a, d series etc and some advice i can give like a few others have said is that if your comparing all motor to all motor then the h22a is more powerful and also gives you more torque and if the h22a is going to be in a chassis like an eg civic there a alot of advantages on having greater torque. But in saying that the h22a has a few disadvantages also. H22a compared to the b18 is alot heavier motor. Plus the h22 gearbox isnt as good as the b18 and also parts are alot easier to find + cheaper in the b18 compared to the h22a if your going all NA.

Not to go off the thread topic but it may be good to look into a K series also if you want some serious NA power. Also again it depends on what car this K series will be in. There is a few guys on here with some mods in a K24 in eg civic's pulling 12's with much less power than a b series turbo in an EG. Its because of the torque advantages.

anyways thats just my two cents. Cheers

T-onedc2
04-05-2009, 10:46 PM
If youre talking about a dc2 vtir vs a bb6 prelude. the prelude will munch the dc2 stock vs stock with the same driver in both cars
no it wont

Phased
04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I personally would go with the H22. No replacement for displacement :p.

It may not be as agile stock. However, it has greater potential. Particularly for a track car, the extra torque will help alot with corner exit and when you're in the later gears.

Only big issue I can see with the H22's, is that parts are more difficult to source. Both OEM and aftermarket.

joe.teg
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
MMMAAAATTTEEEEE
K20 from a DC5R into an EG civic worked off its ****, impossible to beat.
Stock v stock B18
All motor depends
Turbo More PSI

WhiteRice
09-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Just regarding all-motor parts for the H22a - they're there, you just have to find them/pay for them.
e.g. Any intake you want, various throttle bodies, Skunk intake manifold, Hondata manifold gasket, cams/valvetrain by Skunk/Jun/Blox to any spec, forged internals/whole bottom-end kit by Jun (made by Cosworth(BLING)) ECU can be Hondata S300. Good headers from SMSP, Hytech, Mugen ($$$) and off-the-shelf exhausts by Mugen, Fujistubo, Feels, HKS, etc etc etc etc.
I haven't found one yet, but there MUST be a thinner H series head gasket out there somewhere.
You could easily drop 30 grand into your H series engine for the ultimate all-motor Vtec build
I've spent the last couple of years trying to fight the temptation...

Limbo
09-05-2009, 09:49 AM
end of the day these engines, are a preference.
With the right amount of money both engines can be as good as each other. It more comes down to what you like...

h22 - is a torque machine
b18 - is a high revver

Then you just enhance their qualities.

Do you like less revs and more power? or do you love a high revving engine?

Boost only enhances the engine characteristics of both engine making them do what they do faster and with more power.

But there is more support for B series and they are more common, thus why most people go that way. H22 came out of a prelude and were more expensive to buy to begin with thus less of them to play with. B series cam out in nearly every civic and integra, thus more common.

beeza
26-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Always great info Limbo!

What is the stock rev limit on the H22? It sounds like a similair engine to the b20.

WhiteRice
26-05-2009, 08:56 PM
On mine (H22a7) rev limit is 7800. Vtec crossover is 5800.
A few subtle mods can increase rev limit to 8200-8500.
I've heard of a couple of ridiculous ones doing 10,000

It pulls all the way too

paps02
26-05-2009, 10:48 PM
my h22a SiR revs to 7800, but i never rev it that hard. no point. peak power is at something like 6800-7k. then it drops off (to maybe 120 at revlimit) h22 makes their power in the midrange..

and my vtec is moved forward to 4700 for more linear crossover.

but thing about all this power etc is my h22 is 124.8kwatw. my mates b18cr has 125kwatw but h22a will have at least 15kw extra through mid range rev and with the right driver/setup will beat a b18cr on the strip

CRXDEL501
26-05-2009, 11:01 PM
h22a will have at least 15kw extra through mid range rev and with the right driver/setup will beat a b18cr on the strip

you talk the talk.

but can you walk the walk lol

if i got that right haha

paps02
27-05-2009, 08:12 AM
i have a license jono... im waiting for you

CRXDEL501
27-05-2009, 09:40 AM
i have a license jono... im waiting for you

1 month
3 weeks
and counting...
willowbank it is.

Bludger
27-05-2009, 10:08 AM
1 month
3 weeks
and counting...
willowbank it is.please post results.

CRXDEL501
27-05-2009, 10:14 AM
please post results.

we shall.
after the 22nd of july :D

mr180sx
27-05-2009, 11:13 AM
You forgot one big problem with the H22. Putting down the power without wheel hopping. Have fun down the 1/4 ;):thumbsup:

my h22a SiR revs to 7800, but i never rev it that hard. no point. peak power is at something like 6800-7k. then it drops off (to maybe 120 at revlimit) h22 makes their power in the midrange..

and my vtec is moved forward to 4700 for more linear crossover.

but thing about all this power etc is my h22 is 124.8kwatw. my mates b18cr has 125kwatw but h22a will have at least 15kw extra through mid range rev and with the right driver/setup will beat a b18cr on the strip

CRXDEL501
27-05-2009, 11:15 AM
You forgot one big problem with the H22. Putting down the power without wheel hopping. Have fun down the 1/4 ;):thumbsup:

lucky i dont have a h22 :p

paps02
27-05-2009, 12:54 PM

yer its seriously unstopable, will be a problem at willowbank for sure but yer..

barefootbonzai
27-05-2009, 01:54 PM
nothing a set of traction bars won't fix.

EG5
27-05-2009, 03:18 PM
nothing a set of traction bars won't fix.

And a set of full slicks

WhiteRice
27-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Tub it + wheelie bars

= sorted:thumbsup:

paps02
27-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Tub it + wheelie bars

= sorted:thumbsup:

wheelie bars + fwd = fail.

we'll just see how i go first time out for now.

CRXDEL501
27-05-2009, 07:44 PM

are you going to wait for me for the first run?

WhiteRice
27-05-2009, 08:10 PM

ORLY?

It's been done, it works...

chunky
27-05-2009, 08:29 PM
looool
wheelie bar + fwd?

ZeForce
27-05-2009, 08:31 PM

You dont know what you are talking about, they use wheelie bars in ProFWD drag racing to minimise weight transfer to the rear or more importantly reducing weight transfer off the front wheels

paps02
27-05-2009, 08:34 PM
i dont, really dont... i just thoguht wheely bars were for preventing wheelies. as their name suggests. sorry bro, my crystal ball broke

ZeForce
27-05-2009, 08:35 PM
i dont, really dont... i just thoguht wheely bars were for preventing wheelies. as their name suggests. sorry bro, my crystal ball broke

If you dont know then dont post.....

paps02
27-05-2009, 08:43 PM

pm me if you got a problem.

OT- yer jono we'l make it the b18c vs h22a decider for engine with I/H/E.. wer both of equal driving ability............ being POOR! lol.

WhiteRice
27-05-2009, 09:39 PM

Raowrr...

Retract thy claws, Felix, or manage them to part these men with me
It's a forum, not a bonfire

Cvik_ryda
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Go the h22 power for 1/4. Paps02 please post result really want to see.

paps02
01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
22nd july... see what i can do for ya.

vinniez1314
11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
i raced my mates one, all his done to his teggie is weight reduction and cat punched. i have cai, cat back exhaust. we did the same. but it seemed like i was catching up mid way 3rd gear. answer ur questions?

gumus89
23-11-2010, 02:53 PM
The stock H22Z1 has a redline of 7500 and a vtec crossover around 5250.
You get the best out of the thing going past redline because the gearbox is shit. If you shift at redline you will shift out of vtec.
http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q463/kronn_eddie/TransmissionSpeedChart.jpg

nickk
23-11-2010, 04:03 PM
way to dig threads guys