PDA

View Full Version : Distance allowable for items to protrude?

EK1.6LCIV
27-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Distance allowable for items to protrude?

Atm, I’m lead to believe there is a distance where items can protrude the body of the vehicle. I have my tow hook on atm and at it ticks out 50mm measured by using a ruler as a guide against the rear bumper, which doesn’t seem to be a lot imo. But is there in fact a distance it can stick out, or is nothing allowed to protrude?

bennjamin
27-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Firstly view thislink inregards to all QLD road rules

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/General_information/Rules_and_regulations/Road/Road_rules_legislation

follow this link - use the contact us form and fill out this exact question.
They will respond and give you an exact legal answer.

fastinfo@transport.qld.gov.au (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/fastinfo@transport.qld.gov.au)

EK1.6LCIV
27-02-2009, 11:42 AM
cheers for that

ekhybrid
28-02-2009, 12:26 PM
legal or not, use your head
take it off
coz if u hit a pedestrian...
and it was all for what?
you already have a tow point

EK1.6LCIV
01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
yea the front isnt on

this is for the rear tow hook

DLO01
01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Ekhybrid is right man. Front or rear. It looks good, but its just not right man.

EK1.6LCIV
02-03-2009, 07:52 AM
fair enough, off it comes :D

thought with tow hooks and all there'd be a distance for items to over hang (going to bunnings for railings hanging out of boot, etc)

lookingforboost
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
as far as i know nothing is to protrude futher than the furthest body point, so if your tow hook dosent protrude further than the furthest point from the front or rear bar then its legal, in reality a bull bar or nudge bar is far worse then a tow hook and they are legal still.

geeang
02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Both are bad in crashes, I've seen cases (uncle's a forensic investigator who consults for crash investigations) where a car hit another car from behind and the tow hook speared straight through the car causing much more damage than what it would have if there weren't one.
One of the more unlikely, but possible, cases was where a car span out with a "bling rear tow bar" and actually swiped the kneecap off a person on the sidewalk (sued for quite alot of money).

I've also seen a case where a 4wd hit a pedestrian with bull bars on, instant death for the pedestrian. Their head actually hit the bull bar and cracked open, exposing the brain and all.

Neither is safe, and as others have said, they are just a little bling for your car but a big danger to anyone and anything else.

EK1.6LCIV
03-03-2009, 09:18 AM
yea decided to take it off again, had the neighbour have a quick peek (local detective, had a laugh at it, but wouldnt defect on sight, but then again said it was sus looking)

so it'll be on for the next sprints, may as well have the car std, canards barely go on anymore these days