PDA

View Full Version : EG Handbrake adjust

wynode
23-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

I started to get sick of having to pull up the handbrake like 20 click before it would stop the car rolling so I got around to doing this today!

This is for a EG 4 door....not sure if hatch is the same

Make sure the car is on level ground, in gear and also place a brick behind two of the wheels just to make sure the car won't roll while the handbrake is down.

Aim: Tighten handbrake due to cable stretching.

Required: Phillips head screwdriver, 12mm spanner or pliers, small flat head scredriver.

Steps:

1. Take out the rear ashtray

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_4666-med.jpg

2. Flip out the plastic cover (using a small flat head screwdriver) that is located under the handbrake

3. Unscrew the two phillips head screws and take them out. (see in the pic below taken out and on the drivers seat)

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_4662-med.jpg

4. Put the handbrake down, and slide the plastic covering up and forwards so that it comes clear. Make sure the two clips (see pic below i'm poiinting to it with the screwdriver) are out from under the metal bracket before trying to remove the plastic cover.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_4665-med.jpg

5. Sitting on the back seat, use your spanner / pliers to tighten turn the nut in order to stiffen the handbrake. Turning clockwise will tighten it, counter clockwise will loosen it.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_4664-med.jpg

6. Once it is nice and tight (maybe pull the handbrake so you have it to the settting you want), pull the handbrake up and slide the plastic cover back on.

7. Make sure those plastic clips at the back are under the metal bracket.

8. Replace x2 scres and plastic cover

9. Replace rear ashtray.

All done!

toE
24-10-2004, 08:42 PM
would this be similar for all cars?

bennjamin
24-10-2004, 09:11 PM
would this be similar for all cars?
This application is seemingly the same for most if not all Hondas - and possibly the same for all cars ?!?

KB
26-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Yeah now I have something to do today!

But I could never bring myself to loosening a nut with pliers. Ekkk

egSi
26-10-2004, 01:22 PM
nice write-up win, i should prolly do that one day.

wynode
26-10-2004, 01:42 PM
But I could never bring myself to loosening a nut with pliers. Ekkk

I didn't actually use the pliers......found my spanner after I found the pliers annoying ;)

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 09:45 AM
man..... how come your handbrake is still straight.... mine's gone wonky...... how can i fix it?
there is a balance still but i guess the cable lengths have become different.
is there a fix for it?? sounds dangerous to me.

DR HONDA
22-11-2004, 10:15 AM
man..... how come your handbrake is still straight.... mine's gone wonky...... how can i fix it?
there is a balance still but i guess the cable lengths have become different.
is there a fix for it?? sounds dangerous to me..

There are three different parkbrake adjustments for a honda and the above mentioned is no where correct. The reason why yours is on an angle is due to the fact that who ever has been serviceing your vehicle has kept winding it up causing an out of balance of the cables. Can be rectified with the correct procedure adjustments. :confused:

Dr :honda:

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 10:20 AM
that means i've gotta loosen the cables at the rear brakes to even up the lengths then think about tightening from the balancer? *checks my manual*

DR HONDA
22-11-2004, 10:21 AM
that means i've gotta loosen the cables at the rear brakes to even up the lengths then think about tightening from the balancer? *checks my manual*

First of all do you have a disc brake or drum brake set up for the rear?

shashora
22-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Awesome write up, thats wat i did 4 my eg hatch thats exact same 4 hatch but yeah still cant do handbreak turns unless its wet! you need to hoist ur car up and tighten hand break and no idea how to do that! anyone?

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 11:22 AM
First of all do you have a disc brake or drum brake set up for the rear?

Drums.

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Awesome write up, thats wat i did 4 my eg hatch thats exact same 4 hatch but yeah still cant do handbreak turns unless its wet! you need to hoist ur car up and tighten hand break and no idea how to do that! anyone?

then it's gotta be tighter i reckon.
it takes just 3 clicks for my brakes to be on 100%.

maybe if you take more than that, you might consider purchasing the hold down button for the handbrake just like those used in D1.

handbrake turns can be done anywhere but do remember, do it but don't be a nuisance.

hoisting is something for the pros i reckon..... *grinz*

i'm doin fine with my semi slicks on my handbrake turns. they smell better than lousy tires too.

just handbrake it anywhere. just be safe.

wynode
22-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Lets talk about handbrake adjust....not handbrake turns! :)

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 12:23 PM
tsk tsk sashora. lol i apologise haha....

i reckon i should do something about my imbalanced handbrake cables...

shashora
22-11-2004, 12:28 PM
bro as if handbreak turns arent more importants than unbalanced hand break cables ahhaha jks!

karbonphyber
22-11-2004, 12:36 PM
lol...... sure they're important i reckon. LOL on the touge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are a few mountain passes here in newcastle but not as lethal and fun (oops, off tangent again)

wynode
22-11-2004, 12:44 PM
OK keep it on track thanks.